Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No one should be criticized on how their grieve though. We should all have more compassion. If he wants to blame the nra, god or whoever else we need to let him without adding our own 2 cents on how he should react.
Meh.... I see merit on both sides of the coin. On one hand, I believe what you say is correct. On the other hand, I think it's OK to debate whether or not what he said was accurate.

I don't think anyone should be insulting him or calling him names. When I was weatching him speak yesterday, my heart broke for him.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Like I said, if you take all major cities out of our crime stats, we have crime rates similar to that of Canada and other indistrialized countries..... I even provided a link last time we had this discussion, which obviously you ignored.
Compare apples with apples then and take all the major cites out of the Canadian and European crime rates. Unskewing of polls didn't work in 2012 and won't work now.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
And if you take major cities { which have strict gun control laws ordinarily } out of our statistics, we have crime rates similar to those countries you speak of....

I know I've corrected your distortions before, why do you continue to espouse them?
Actually many rural areas, especially in the south, still have violent crime rates much higher than the national average. Many, many cities have violent crime rates lower than the national average.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Compare apples with apples then and take all the major cites out of the Canadian and European crime rates. Unskewing of polls didn't work in 2012 and won't work now.
Isn't that now and forever called "Roveing"?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Isn't it funny how when the data doesn't back up their claims they always claim it is the data which is wrong instead of their claims?

Their attempts to "unskew" the poll numbers because they didn't like the results was laughable and yet tragic at the same time as it showed just how unhinged from reality many conservatives had become. "The data doesn't match my right wing talking point so IT MUST BE WRONG!" The idea that their cherished talking points might be wrong and not backed by data doesn't ever even seem to enter their minds.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:05 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
It's not about guns. The USA has a culture of violence & retribution and the NRA is a large proponent of it.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:05 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,962 times
And you keep repeating that nonsense over and over again like we didn't know that gun-free countries like Canada, Australia, Germany, France all did not have murder rates mant times lower than others or like in the us the gun-free states didn't have lower murder rates than gun-loving states. Do you really think people can't look up crime rates on the net?

Like this one here:

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

Quote:
Like I said, if you take all major cities out of our crime stats, we have crime rates similar to that of Canada and other indistrialized countries..... I even provided a link last time we had this discussion, which obviously you ignored.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
We have more guns per capita and the crime rates have been falling for decades.
Yes, like every other first world country with an aging population our crime rates are going down. That said they're still 2-3 times higher than every other first world country. You can't escape that FACT no matter how much you try.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Meh.... I see merit on both sides of the coin. On one hand, I believe what you say is correct. On the other hand, I think it's OK to debate whether or not what he said was accurate.

I don't think anyone should be insulting him or calling him names. When I was weatching him speak yesterday, my heart broke for him.
You can't debate someone's grief. And no, it's not ok for any of us to do that. It is his grief and we should be respectful what he is going through.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:09 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No one should be criticized on how their grieve though. We should all have more compassion. If he wants to blame the nra, god or whoever else we need to let him without adding our own 2 cents on how he should react.
When he becomes a public figure by his own actions then he can be criticized. He doesn't get a free pass when he out himself into this position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies