Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 02:26 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times

Advertisements

I grew up hunting, fishing and trapping. Our school still has the first day of buck season off because a super majority of kiddos go hunting. Interestingly enough, not a person I am aware of in the community I grew up in has never produced a murderer. We had guns in the trunk and went hunting after school right from the parking lot. We had a rifle club and still do.i suspect it has nothing to do with guns and everything to do with how kids are raised. Here's a guess, materialism, self centeredness, lack of personal responsibility, lack of spiritual principals to live by. This had nothing to do with a gun. This was caused by the parents and the lack of a moral and ethical foundation they conveyed to their son.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:29 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Compton is in California. Compton is a ghetto. Gun-wielding thugs run rampant in Compton.

Compton is a prime example of why California's gun laws don't work.

But, you know, you can't lean on liberals to acknowledge this sort of thing. They don't care about black men killing each other. It's the lily white sorority girls and the school children who they see as worthy collateral damage in support of their cause.
Actually, in California's case, it wasn't a liberal that put these gun laws into place. It was a conservative, and future President Ronald Reagan. He did that in response to the Black Panther Party marching in Sacramento with guns. One part of getting gun laws in place was racially motivated.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
There is direct correlation between HANDGUNS and murders. The numbers on the list above reflect all guns, which in Europe means mostly guns used for hunting, except for Switzerland where it means military rifles (but with no ammunition) and unlike the us very rarely handguns. CCW in Europe is almost impossible.
Of course it also escaped your attention that all of the countries in Europe have much lower murder rates than ours and that Turkey doesn't belong on that list as it is not an industrialized nation. Lots of spin here and pure ignorance.
There's a direct correlation between instances of diagnosed autism and annual consumption of organic foods, does that mean stopping the sale and consumption of organic foods will lead to a reduction in the number of instances of diagnosed autism? (you can use Google to find the graph, look up false correlations) Here's a site dedicated to them... Spurious Correlations

Just to correct something about Switzerland, military rifles are not (always) issued ammunition, however there's nothing stopping militia members from buying it, most of the people I've spoken to in the Basel-Stadt canton have their own 5.6x45 GP90 [as it's categorized in Switzerland] for their militia weapon.

You posted the countries, I'm European, who's got more ignorance? Who's also changing the goalposts, you originally said gun control works, now it's handgun control works, what's next "Oh 9mm handgun control works"? I'm sure if you twist hard enough you'll find something, it might be percentage of cat ownership too.

Again. The UK has without any shadow of a doubt the most restrictive gun laws in Europe (they had to change the law to permit Olympic shooting events during the last Olympics), yet it has higher homicide rates than the Scandanavian countries, who do permit handgun possession, and Germany who permit handgun possession under certain conditions.

Answer the question WHY DOES THE UK THE GOLD STANDARD™ OF GUN CONTROL HAVE HIGHER HOMICIDE RATES THAN MUCH OF EUROPE WITH MORE LAX CONTROLS?

If gun control works to reduce homicides it would be apparent, if it doesn't it would not be. There is no evidence that it does because it's not apparent given the list of countries you provided, and I think the Turks might take offense to your statement about being not an Industrialized nation, it's history is far longer than the US (you do know Istanbul is Constantinople don't you?) and it's #17 in the world for nominal GDP higher than almost everyone else on that list except the US, Germany, France, Italy, Spain according to the UN.

From the list of countries you provided there's not even any correlation between the number of firearms in public ownership and the number of homicides, the top homicide rate is the same for a country with 89.0 guns per 100, and 12.5 guns per 100, the bottom homicide rates come from countries with very high ownership of firearms, somewhere in the middle of the homicide rates are the two countries with the lowest public gun ownership rates, anyone with any kind of mathematically analytical mind can look at that and say, there is no correlation, unless the two countries with the lowest rates of gun ownership are outliers or not representative which destroys the hypothesis in the process (you need those to confirm your hypothesis).

There is no spin, it's a list of data off the UNSAS, how can I spin your provided homicide rates and the UNSAS? If you think it's spin, then perhaps you may wish to reconsider your position, data and facts are not nor cannot be spin, if they conflict with your opinions then perhaps the information you're relying on is not data, nor facts, but others opinions and projections.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The laws in California are not restrictive enough. In New Jersey where I live, this would have never happened, because it is impossible for 99% of residentS to buy the types of guns Rodger used in his rampage.
He bought pretty run of the mill handguns.

Elliot Rodger detailed plans for UCSB massacre, hatred for women in online manifesto | National Post

Now I could have looked a wee bit harder but I think any of these handguns also for sale in New Jersey would have done just as well.

Current-New---Used-Specials

Old 05-26-2014, 02:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If ya gals would date more pathetic losers we could reduce the number of these incidents.
Which gals? The pretty ones or the ones who sit home on Saturday night because they aren't pretty enough to get a date?

Old 05-26-2014, 02:54 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He bought pretty run of the mill handguns.

Elliot Rodger detailed plans for UCSB massacre, hatred for women in online manifesto | National Post

Now I could have looked a wee bit harder but I think any of these handguns also for sale in New Jersey would have done just as well.

Current-New---Used-Specials
Actually, if you want to induce maximum damage, guns aren't the weapon of choice. Explosives or just plain old fire are far more effective. Guns are chosen by killers who want to see their victims die as are knives.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I grew up hunting, fishing and trapping. Our school still has the first day of buck season off because a super majority of kiddos go hunting. Interestingly enough, not a person I am aware of in the community I grew up in has never produced a murderer. We had guns in the trunk and went hunting after school right from the parking lot. We had a rifle club and still do.i suspect it has nothing to do with guns and everything to do with how kids are raised. Here's a guess, materialism, self centeredness, lack of personal responsibility, lack of spiritual principals to live by. This had nothing to do with a gun. This was caused by the parents and the lack of a moral and ethical foundation they conveyed to their son.
I would love to see all students take hunter safety classes in school.

Our state gives special youth hunts.....this is great....it gives the youth an advantage to get a big deer/bear/fish...many seasons and keeps them interested.

IMO....let these kids see what damage a firearm can do.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:25 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would love to see all students take hunter safety classes in school.

Our state gives special youth hunts.....this is great....it gives the youth an advantage to get a big deer/bear/fish...many seasons and keeps them interested.

IMO....let these kids see what damage a firearm can do.
He should have been sent off to a public school in South Chicago.

Rich people can afford that type of education.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
That's right. Instead of championing personal responsibility for actions, he's blaming the second amendment and law abiding citizens who have the right to carry for unstable people who go on murdering sprees. The aunt calls Obama to action. Will this stir up another gun control debate before the midterms?

UCSB shooting victim’s father: Blame NRA and “craven” politicians - Salon.com

At a press conference earlier today, a self-identified father of one of the victims in last night’s mass shooting near the University of California, Santa Barbara, named his son, Chris Martinez, as one of the victims. In a heart-wrenching statement the father, Richard Martinez, expressed his profound sadness. His 20-year-old son was on his way to a market when he was killed.

“Why did Chris die?” Richard Martinez said at a press conference. “Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA. They talk about gun rights, what about Chris’ right to live? When will this insanity stop?”

I feel for him, but he's going after the wrong people.
He's absolutely correct about the craven, irresponsible politicians, but absolutely incorrect about the NRA. Obviously.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:32 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
3 stabbed
2 shot
1 run over with car
1 suicide

And this means = "gunman"? And NRA boogeyman?

Sorry for the Father's loss. Emotions are high.
3 stabbed in liberal minds means Case cutlery must pay for a madman's rage!
1 runover victim in liberal minds means BMW must pay for a madman's sin!
2 shot dead is the NRA's fault so I guess Black Bikers week violence in Myrtle Beach is the NRA's fault too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies