Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 01:14 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The argument is to find a way to prevent the mentally ill from getting hold of guns.
And the reason we think this is in any way possible is......??

Quote:
Only the argument isn't to ban guns.
But totally banning all guns from all persons, is the only way that will work.

And it introduces far more problems than it cures.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
1. Virginia Tech shooter 23-year-old student Seung-Hui Cho, - Court-ordered psychiatric assessment, severe mental ill

2.Sandy Hook Elementary School Adam Lanze - suffered from mentally ill

3.In Killeen, Texas, 35-year-old George Hennard - had a history of mental illness

4.In San Ysidro, California, 41-year-old James Huberty - had called a mental health center

5.University of Texas. Charles Joseph Whitman - Suffering from mental illness and acute fits of anger

6.Edmond, Oklahoma part-time mail carrier, Patrick Henry Sherrill, His father, Sherrill whispered, was mentally ill.

7.Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan kills 13 people and injures 32 at Fort Hood, Texas, - had mental health issues

8.In Binghamton, New York, Jiverly Wong - mentally ill immigrant

9.Columbine High School - Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold - being recognized as mentally ill

10.In Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 40-year-old George Banks - is evaluated at a Harrisburg-area hospital for mental-health issues

11. Aaron Alexis - shooter from the Navy Yard - Aaron Alexis's mental illness went untreated

12. James E. Holmes - Batman film shooter - suffered from mental illness

13. In Atlanta, Georgia, 44-year-old Mark Barton - been placed on disability leave from his job due to mental problems.

25 Deadliest Mass Shootings in U.S. History Fast Facts - CNN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW, I was reading the article 25 Deadliest Mass Shootings in U.S. last night and did a research on all these shooters. I found out almost all of them suffered from untreated mental illnesses.

I wonder why do some people always blame the guns after a mass shooting? Mental illness is often not to blame in mass shooting? Why?
Maybe because without easy access to guns, the mass murders wouldn't kill so many people in such a short time?

Besides, isn't the NRA's mantra that every nut should be able to own his/her own arsenal until/unless he/she kills a few dozen people and therefore "proves" his/her unfitness to "protect himself/herself" from the police and the military?

Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I'm not seeking an argument here. I agree that mental illness is behind most mass shootings. That said, we have a much higher level of gun violence and mortality in the U.S. compared with most countries that have strict gun laws. I know, I know, the Constitution protects your right to own guns. My question is, why do people feel the need to own semi automatic assault weapons? What is it about owning and firing these guns that people feel so strongly about? I understand hunters wanting to hunt, and even sportsman who enjoy shooting at a firing range if that's your thing. But the need to own guns in which the weapon's use to to fire as many rounds in as fast a time as possible is something I cannot understand. There will always be mentally unstable people who present as normal enough to not be committed or incarcerated - just like this kid in California. The cops had just interviewed him and found no cause to arrest him or search his place. There will always be people out there like this. The difference is, in the U.S., virtually anybody can legally obtain a semi automatic assault weapon and blow many people away in short order. WHY IS THIS OKAY WITH PEOPLE? I just don't get it - kids being blown away at schools should NEVER happen. But in the U.S., these tragedies get a few days news time and are forgotten, because it's that common. As long as we have a surplus of these weapons available to anybody, we will continue to see more senseless killing. And yes, the guns don't kill people, people do. Crazy people who can get any number of assault weapons because this is America.
Because the 2nd amendment isn't about hunting.

I want the best chance to protect myself and my family and that is with a semi automatic weapon.

The difference between a semi automatic hand gun or rifle and a revolver or a lever action rifle is not very big, especially when fewer than 10 rounds are fired by criminals during an attack most times and rifles are hardly used in murders in general.

You are caught up in a few horrible acts but are missing the fact that violent crime (including murder) is at 30-40 year lows.

You need to look at the big picture.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If that were so, then how did Mr Rodger obtain his firearms? You're premise is that he was mentally ill. And that the problem in the United States is with mental illness. But if Mr Rodger was mentally ill, then why didn't the authorities know that? They had spoken to him. And while I've heard people say that the police aren't equipped to make such evaluations, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assert that even the most intuitive psychological professional cannot evaluate a threat level based on a twenty-minute conversation. People who are mentally ill but who function in society are adept at masking their illness, at pretending to be normal especially in the short term.

And in just about every one of these mass shootings, the people had obtained their weapons legally.

If we're going to blame mental illness, then we have to define mental illness. Is someone who has Asperger's mentally ill? Are introverts mentally ill? To what degree does a person have to be different from the accepted norm to be diagnosed as mentally ill?

The issue is, being different isn't a mental illness.

And we can't just go around locking people up because they are loners or anti-social or introverts. And if we can't go around locking people up, if we can't stop them from buying or possessing firearms, then is it reasonable for law enforcement to be given access to a database of those who've bought weapons and munitions, and perhaps to cross-reference that database with a database where the police have been called to do an evaluation, or family or doctors have tried or even succeeded in committing someone.
Exactly.
Some of the craziest people are sociopaths, but they know how to mask it well. They're charming, gregarious, usually very bright and you could never tell from a 20 minute conversation.
Furthermore, how do you define mental illness?
Moderately depressed vs mildly depressed? Neurotic, like the constant hand-washing of OCD people?
Someone with a lot of cats?
Where do you draw the line?

Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Maybe because without easy access to guns, the mass murders wouldn't kill so many people in such a short time?

Besides, isn't the NRA's mantra that every nut should be able to own his/her own arsenal until/unless he/she kills a few dozen people and therefore "proves" his/her unfitness to "protect himself/herself" from the police and the military?
Just wondering if you consider passing multiple background checks and waiting 10 days after purchase now considered "easy" access to guns?

Old 05-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Not at all. I know many people, my daughter included, who own guns. They are responsible in their ownership. The Crazy people that kill aren't to blame alone, they are supported by the insane people who believe the crazy people have a "right" to buy guns.
Exactly. The real insane people are NOT the mentally ill.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because the 2nd amendment isn't about hunting.

I want the best chance to protect myself and my family and that is with a semi automatic weapon.

The difference between a semi automatic hand gun or rifle and a revolver or a lever action rifle is not very big, especially when fewer than 10 rounds are fired by criminals during an attack most times and rifles are hardly used in murders in general.

You are caught up in a few horrible acts but are missing the fact that violent crime (including murder) is at 30-40 year lows.

You need to look at the big picture.
I suspect that many mass murderers feel the same way.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Just wondering if you consider passing multiple background checks and waiting 10 days after purchase now considered "easy" access to guns?
Is that what the NRA is now advocating?

Old 05-27-2014, 01:21 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's not irrational because the NRA ALWAYS stands in the way of keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.
The NRA does not stand in the way of keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

The NRA points out that the only effective way to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, is to keep guns out of the hands of every person on earth.

And the NRA stands in the way of efforts to keep guns out of the hands of every person on earth.... exactly as they should.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Is that what the NRA is now advocating?
That is the law in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies