Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually they are hurting someone.
They are hurting all of the other vegan/vegetarians who make their choices and do not push their food choices in the face of non vegan/vegetarians.
By stating how terrible it is that the meat eaters don't care about other living creatures because of the suffering and death of those creatures causes meat eaters to disagree even more with the vegan/vegetarian food choices.

If everyone would tend to their own plates and not worry with what others have on theirs life would be much better.
It really is none of your business what I eat and it is none of my business what you eat but it is also not your place to deem that I don't care about death or suffering or animals.
How do you know? You assume that I am a cold, callous human just because I like meat and poultry?
Do you have any idea how many non meat dishes I prepare in my home?
Do you know how many non meat eaters I feed in my home?
Do you know how often I degrade someone for their food choices?

I do have a question though, if there were nothing left but meat and poultry and you were starving would you starve to death or choose to eat meat and poultry?
I can tell you as a meat eater if there was nothing left but the vegan/vegetarian choices I would not turn them down if I had no other choice.
No one is advocating "pushing" their food choices on someone else. That IS obnoxious. However, there is nothing wrong with educating someone, then letting them make their own choice. Case in point: veal. After the way most calves were raised for veal was revealed, demand for that particular meat dropped. Same with the fur trade. Nothing wrong with a little exposure and education. Scolding or haranguing someone on their food choices is unpleasant, not matter which side someone takes - meat eaters or vegetarians.

Because of animal products in pretty much everything, it is extremely difficult to be a strict vegan. I still have to give them my respect and admiration for their efforts.

It is a basic fact that some people DO care and some people DO NOT. While there may degrees of caring, it is either one or the other.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
For those of you who are omnivores: What are your thoughts about vegetarians and vegans (who are not allergic or religious, but making food choices for ethical reasons)?

Are they admirable? Are they too uppity? Do you think vegetarians are wimps for not going all the way to veganism? Are vegans too rigid/anal? i.e. interrogating the person who prepared food about exactly what's in it?

What are omnivore's perceptions of vegetarians and vegans?
Honestly?

I wish more people were vegans; would lower demand and thus price for meat+dairy for me.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:31 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I hate them all. Not eating meat is unnatural. Vegetarians deny their humanity and so I see no reason to treat them with the dignity I afford other humans.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
For those of you who are omnivores: What are your thoughts about vegetarians and vegans (who are not allergic or religious, but making food choices for ethical reasons)?

Are they admirable? Are they too uppity? Do you think vegetarians are wimps for not going all the way to veganism? Are vegans too rigid/anal? i.e. interrogating the person who prepared food about exactly what's in it?

What are omnivore's perceptions of vegetarians and vegans?
I think you are all fooling yourselves unless you create every bit of what you eat. if there is any commercial products on the menu you are getting animal products in your food. Even flour has BONE MEAL. For the ladies there are animal by products in make up too.

Then the poor little bean sprouts you all love so much have life...... Your ending their tiny little lives, so what ethics are we talking about?

I eat pants too but only after it has passed thru the MEAT.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Some of them are arrogant and judgmental. With that being said, I've been trying to eat vegetarian (not vegan) more often for health reasons (I don't have moral qualms about eating meat for the most part, but I do not approve of factory farming). I'm not going to become a vegetarian but I'm trying to limit meat to maybe once every other day or so.

It can be difficult to eat vegetarian. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to always eat vegan and still get proper nutrition.
I've been vegetarian for over 25 years, and it is much easier these days than it was when I began. Back then there was absolutely nothing other than salads and pasta that you could order in a restaurant--now there are a plethora of meatless choices everywhere you go. And like anything else, eating vegetarian becomes habit once you've done it for a while. You have your favorite recipes and food choices that you go to again and again, just like a meat eater.

My daughter went vegan about a year ago, and also cut out most processed foods. Now that is an undertaking, because she makes just about everything she eats from scratch. I've been tempted to try it, but it just seems like too much work.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I've been vegetarian for over 25 years, and it is much easier these days than it was when I began. Back then there was absolutely nothing other than salads and pasta that you could order in a restaurant--now there are a plethora of meatless choices everywhere you go. And like anything else, eating vegetarian becomes habit once you've done it for a while. You have your favorite recipes and food choices that you go to again and again, just like a meat eater.

My daughter went vegan about a year ago, and also cut out most processed foods. Now that is an undertaking, because she makes just about everything she eats from scratch. I've been tempted to try it, but it just seems like too much work.
She grows her own grains from vegan non animal fertilizers too? If not, I suspect bone meal is added to her flours. These days it is almost impossible to be 100% animal free foods.

I have serious doubts that when eating out, and any form of pasta is bone meal free as well.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
No one is advocating "pushing" their food choices on someone else. That IS obnoxious. However, there is nothing wrong with educating someone, then letting them make their own choice. Case in point: veal. After the way most calves were raised for veal was revealed, demand for that particular meat dropped. Same with the fur trade. Nothing wrong with a little exposure and education. Scolding or haranguing someone on their food choices is unpleasant, not matter which side someone takes - meat eaters or vegetarians.

Because of animal products in pretty much everything, it is extremely difficult to be a strict vegan. I still have to give them my respect and admiration for their efforts.

It is a basic fact that some people DO care and some people DO NOT. While there may degrees of caring, it is either one or the other.
Actually, that's just as obnoxious as those who come to your home hoping to convert you to their religion. The natural world is cruel. Predators in the wild don't wait for their prey to die before eating. How far does a vegan go? Will they avoid taking antibiotics because it'll kill the bacteria in their body? Will they cry over the microscopic animals they eat with their vegetables? Is microscopic organisms fine to kill but not multicellular organisms? If a vegan being one with nature drinks from a stream, are they not ingesting multicellular organisms in the water? When you till the soil in perpetration for planting crops you're also killing animals in the process. Will a vegan give up wearing makeup? Many makeup products are made from animals.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:08 AM

419 posts, read 846,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I wish more people were vegans; would lower demand and thus price for meat+dairy for me.
In some products, when demand falls the price increases.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:14 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
I don't care enough to have an opinion on the matter, eat or don't eat whatever you want.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I have more important things to do than read this whole thread.
I do my best to ignore vegan/vegetarians. I am happily omnivorous.

Was it George Carlin who asked: "If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do Humanitarians eat?"
It sounds like a Carlinism.

Come to think of it, I need to go get my fishing license, and go catch and eat some trout.
I might even dust off and swab the bore on the old 30.06 and get some fresh venison this fall.

I wonder, does a carrot scream when it is ripped from the ground? Do brussel sprouts cry when they are chopped off the stem? Do peppercorns whimper as they are ground? what does parsley think about being chopped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies