Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:10 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willinstruct View Post
There is no war on women, if women want to be treated equal then they can stand up and defend themself now cant they? This is a case of mental illness nothing to do with women.
The media is making it seem like it is, with their usual propaganda.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 PM

794 posts, read 818,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The reason this has so many women talking about their experiences is because so many of us watched the video and read the manifesto, and it didn't move us. It didn't strike us as all that uncommon because we see it regularly online (especially) and in person. I once had someone from City-Data find other social media accounts under the same name (and I know that not every charolatra00 is me so G-d knows who else got this filth) and send me rape threats based on my posts about healthcare. Mind you, I was writing about my opinion on Obamacare while actively undergoing cancer treatment at the time, which makes it even worse. I no longer send polite rejections to messages on dating sites because of the nasty vitriol I get back at least half of the time - if not more. I have female friends whose personal information, including home address and employer, have been shared online simply because of rejection or perceived rejection.

That's only online. There is not a single woman in my social circle who has not been harassed or sexually assaulted on some level. That includes my 82 year old grandmother, recently. About a quarter of us, myself included, have been raped - which is about the national average for women in their mid to late 20s.

None of us have seen persecution for our rapists, some by choice but others because of the treatment we received at the hands of police, campus officials, or other people in a position of trust. I was told that my rape wasn't really a rape because I had previously dated my attacker. I was 17 and a virgin when I was attacked by someone who I thought was a friend. One of the first things I was asked when I confided in adults, as I had always been taught to do, was what was I wearing (sweatpants and a hoody, for the record). To this day, my rapist still does not see what he did as rape, even though I said no and tried to fight him off. I know this because many of my friends STAYED FRIENDS WITH HIM. They told me I was hysterical. Even getting pregnant as a result of the rape and miscarrying was not enough to implicate his guilt. I was just a ****.

The last really scary interaction I had was on a crowded bus at night. I made the mistake of making eye contact with a man - something a lifetime of experience should have told me wasn't safe but I did anyway. He asked me for my number. I politely declined and said I wasn't interested. About half of the time, that alone causes a man to back off. But think about that for a moment - HALF OF THE TIME. That means the other half of the time, the man keeps persisting. That's what's scary. Next I informed the guy that I had a boyfriend, which was true, but still ridiculous that other men often don't respond unless they feel like they're encroaching on some other guy's turf. But that didn't work either. So now we're into 1 out of 10 territory. 1 time out of 10, a guy won't give it up. In this case, the tone changed to "I just want to be friends" and "Why won't you be my friend?" My bus stop is one of the last on a rather long route and I spent half an hour hoping and praying this guy would get off the bus. It became clear he had no intention of getting off of the bus until I got off. Meanwhile, there were dozens of people on the bus who absolutely ignored me as I got more and more frightened about the situation. Because people were standing in the way, I could not get to the bus driver and experience told me that the bus driver won't do much. Finally, I got off the bus a few stops away from my stop and as expected, the guy followed me. I promptly went into a 24/7 convenience store and had to call my roommate to pick me up.

That was NOT the first time that happened. When I told friends, most had similar stories on public transit.

Now, most of my creepy, scary, to downright violent interactions with men have been with men who are somehow "off." But the people (overwhelmingly men in power) who have denied my experiences and even pointed blame at me for the situations were NOT unhinged. The men who saw me being hassled for HALF AN HOUR on a bus by a man who would not take no for an answer and did NOTHING? They weren't unhinged either. I've even had men who I did not know tell me I should "Just give him a chance" when I turn down men's advances.

Pointing out the misogyny that women face has nothing to do with hating men. I don't hate men at all - I have a boyfriend, most of my friends are guys, and I am close to my brother and male roommate. But say you love M&Ms and you know that 10% of them are poison. Are you going to pop a handful? Or are you going to scrutinize every single one to make sure its safe?
You should conceal carry. You'd feel a lot less stressed I bet.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:52 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
Surely these killings were more to do with mental illness coupled with autism and an inability to fit in, rather than misogyny. Indeed if it wasn't for Elliott Rodger's mental illness and austism he may well have been accepted in to far more social groups and may have felt very differently about society and indeed women.

It's also interesting to compare British born Elliott Rodger's case with the recent case of British serial killer Joanna Dennehy, who was sentenced to a whole life tariff earlier this year for routinely killing men for her own pleasure. Surely if Rodger's is a misogynist then Dennehy is a misandrist.??

Joanna Dennehy: serial killer becomes first woman told by judge to die in jail | UK news | The Guardian

Last edited by Bamford; 05-27-2014 at 03:56 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 03:07 AM

411 posts, read 416,135 times
You can thank religion for making women out to be saints or whores with barely any middle ground. Before Christianity, women fulfilled their roles without instruction.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Surely these killings were more to do with mental illness coupled with autism and an inability to fit in, rather than misogyny. Indeed if it wasn't for Elliott Rodger's mental illness and austism he may well have been accepted in to far more social groups and may have felt very differently about society and indeed women.
Nope - most mental illnesses and developmental disorders don't really change how violent a person is, nor who that violence will almost certainly be directed towards (someone known to the attacker). Folks with Asperger's (now considered part of the Autism scale), in particular, have been known to integrate well into society, by figuring out the cues and facial expressions that come naturally to most people. Even the vast majority of people with narcissistic personality disorder, which this guy displays classic symptoms of, don't turn violent. The problem is, this guy managed to combine it with a fetish for blonde white women, and with PUA advice, which is mostly bunk meant to swindle people by selling DVDs, books, and seminars that tell them to treat women as machines, rather than as, you know, people.

The reason he didn't manage to fit in with others wasn't his autism (if he even had that), it was because he actively pushed people away, and flew into a rage when he saw people having fun rather than attempting to join them. But it's clear that, despite his lust, he *literally* hated women, saw them as ignoring him in order to harm him, and wanted to take revenge for this.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Nope - most mental illnesses and developmental disorders don't really change how violent a person is, nor who that violence will almost certainly be directed towards (someone known to the attacker). Folks with Asperger's (now considered part of the Autism scale), in particular, have been known to integrate well into society, by figuring out the cues and facial expressions that come naturally to most people. Even the vast majority of people with narcissistic personality disorder, which this guy displays classic symptoms of, don't turn violent. The problem is, this guy managed to combine it with a fetish for blonde white women, and with PUA advice, which is mostly bunk meant to swindle people by selling DVDs, books, and seminars that tell them to treat women as machines, rather than as, you know, people.
Eliot Rodger had a dangerous and severe personality disorder, coupled with Asperger's Syndrome. In terms of personality disorders they are difficult to treat, and whilst psychopaths, narcissists and others with PD Conditions may vary with regard to levels of violence, they have a skewed view of the world which is reflected in their actions and a lack of empathy and understanding when it comes to others.

Consequently after the murders of Lyn and Megan Russell by Michael Stone in 1996, it was decided that special units were to be created in the UK for the treatment of those individuals deemed to have Dangerous and Severe Personality Disorders, and it is within the area of psychiatry that people such as Rodger generally fall. As for the Asperger's and his inability to form lasting friendship or retain relationships this further aggravated his condition.

What is PD - Personality disorder programme

Personality disorder diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken
The reason he didn't manage to fit in with others wasn't his autism (if he even had that), it was because he actively pushed people away, and flew into a rage when he saw people having fun rather than attempting to join them. But it's clear that, despite his lust, he *literally* hated women, saw them as ignoring him in order to harm him, and wanted to take revenge for this.
Irrational responses are part of mental illness sadly, and the murder of six individuals clearly demonstrates how irrational this individual was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky News

Peter Langman, author of Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters, told Sky News that Rodger exhibited many of the classic traits of a psychopath.

"What you see in his video and also his writings is a very narcissistic sense of himself in which he feels entitled to love and sex," the psychologist said.

The Rodgers' family lawyer, Alan Shifman, said Elliot had been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome - a form of autism - at a young age and had been treated by multiple therapists.

Elliot Rodger: Did Police Miss Their Chance?

Last edited by Bamford; 05-27-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Eliot Rodger had a dangerous and severe personality disorder, coupled with Asperger's Syndrome. In terms of personality disorders they are difficult to treat, and whilst psychopaths, narcissists and others with PD Conditions may vary with regard to levels of violence, they have a skewed view of the world which is reflected in their actions.

What is PD - Personality disorder programme

I wonder if his therapist ever suggested a change of scenery (culture).

The environment has been known to affect all living organisms.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
My partner and I were discussing this yesterday in the wake of the recent murders in Santa Barbara. Of course, you have people calling for more gun control, and others blaming the lack of good mental health care in this country.

I feel both could be valid points, but I also feel misogyny is is the bigger problem, and it's one we're not talking about.

This young man, apparently, wasn't getting any attention from women. He felt entitled to sex, and since he wasn't getting any of what he felt he deserved, he decided to seek vengeance.

Not every frustrated young man is going to go on a killing spree because they're still a virgin or because they've hit a dry spell, but I have seen an appalling number of men who have a similar thought process. There are hundreds or thousands of so called "Pick Up Artists" out there, who claim to be able to teach guys how to be "alphas" and "get the females they deserve", often through techniques like "negging", which is based around making a target feel worthless. You have tons of guys complaining about being stuck in the "friend zone"--they were nice to a woman, and she didn't reward them with sex. How dare they?

Of course, women also internalize these messages that women are less than, or that they are meant to be used. That's how you get poll results like this: UIC Campus Advocacy Network

An awful lot of young people, both male and female, are of the opinion it's okay to use force to get sex if "the boy spent a lot of money on the girl". Even more were okay a man forcing sex on a woman if they were married. 35% of college males surveyed said they would commit rape if they thought they could get away with it, and 43% of them admitted to using "coercive behavior" to get a woman to sleep with them.

We really do need to address the state of mental health in America. Maybe we need to have more open dialogue about guns, too.

But we desperately need to stop promoting a culture that allows men to expect sex from women, and that makes it acceptable to use force against them when they say no.
You have a seriously corrupted view of the actions of this young man, as well as what appears as a serious contempt for men (read: misandry). First of all, this man was mentally ill. Clearly, he was sad that girls/young women, according to him, were not interested in him, further sinking his own self-esteem and self-worth, causing depression. He also indicated he was picked on a lot. Obviously, he must have felt lonely, without a doubt he had friends in relationships, and longed to have his own special person in his life. There was nothing in ANY of the reporting that indicated he felt "ENTITLED" as you presume.

This story, or his actions have nothing to do with rape, as you sensationalize. You indicate "you and your partner" were discussing this, assuming you have a same sex partner. So, if you are a lesbian what right do you have to consider yourself an expert on the matter? You indicate "a lot of young people, both male and female, are of the opinion, it's OK to use force to get sex if the boy spent money on the girl?" Where have you heard this? You should be able to cite such a provocative claim, along with your statistic assuming 35% of college males surveyed said they would commit rape if they thought they could get away with it---where does this come from? More importantly, how does this fit in this particular case? Perhaps you are still living in the 70's, but thought you should be brought up to date, there is no culture in the U.S. that promotes the idea that it is "acceptable" to use force against women when they say no. Perhaps you have a lot of animosity towards men, but this young man in no way indicated he was "entitled" as you insist, nor did his story have anything to do with rape. Was there anything in any reporting indicating that he was accused of any such acts? No.

Last edited by 9162; 05-27-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
He may have told his therapist that life suks.

And, his therapist probably didn't tell him that it depends on at where you are.

There are inside locations, and there are outside locations, and they . . relate!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
My partner and I were discussing this yesterday in the wake of the recent murders in Santa Barbara. Of course, you have people calling for more gun control, and others blaming the lack of good mental health care in this country.

I feel both could be valid points, but I also feel misogyny is is the bigger problem, and it's one we're not talking about.

This young man, apparently, wasn't getting any attention from women. He felt entitled to sex, and since he wasn't getting any of what he felt he deserved, he decided to seek vengeance.

Not every frustrated young man is going to go on a killing spree because they're still a virgin or because they've hit a dry spell, but I have seen an appalling number of men who have a similar thought process. There are hundreds or thousands of so called "Pick Up Artists" out there, who claim to be able to teach guys how to be "alphas" and "get the females they deserve", often through techniques like "negging", which is based around making a target feel worthless. You have tons of guys complaining about being stuck in the "friend zone"--they were nice to a woman, and she didn't reward them with sex. How dare they?

Of course, women also internalize these messages that women are less than, or that they are meant to be used. That's how you get poll results like this: UIC Campus Advocacy Network

An awful lot of young people, both male and female, are of the opinion it's okay to use force to get sex if "the boy spent a lot of money on the girl". Even more were okay a man forcing sex on a woman if they were married. 35% of college males surveyed said they would commit rape if they thought they could get away with it, and 43% of them admitted to using "coercive behavior" to get a woman to sleep with them.

We really do need to address the state of mental health in America. Maybe we need to have more open dialogue about guns, too.

But we desperately need to stop promoting a culture that allows men to expect sex from women, and that makes it acceptable to use force against them when they say no.
uhm.... if you think you need to kill people because you arent getting sex. you arent a mysoginist, you are freaking NUTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies