Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 AM

331 posts, read 548,011 times

Advertisements

If everyone stopped going to college, what would happen? Would the U.S. plunge into a recession? Would companies stop hiring because they believe that a college education is necessary for every white collar job? Or would the economy restructure itself and move towards a vocational training system that is more efficient for churning out the needed human capital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:16 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,400 times
Why should everyone quite going to college? The problem is that there is a great number of people attending college that shouldn't. If any college has, which they do, remedial classes of any kind then the ones attending those classes don't belong in college.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Why should everyone quite going to college? The problem is that there is a great number of people attending college that shouldn't. If any college has, which they do, remedial classes of any kind then the ones attending those classes don't belong in college.
The left-wing argument for sending everyone to college is that it creates equal opportunity. Sure, a lot of students will end up in mountains of debt and working at Starbucks, but its a moral victory because everyone deserves higher education. (Lol!)

Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
LOL I barley made it out of HS.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
LOL I barley made it out of HS.
You must be working at McDonald's, then. Obama says that everyone who doesn't get a college degree is destined to work McJobs.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:40 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
I have never heard of this Send Everyone To College Movement thats news to me. I know in Washington state Boeing works with the community colleges to train machinists. Some of the local high schools have ag programs that teach kids how to repair farm machinery. Most of the kids in the rural areas dont go to college. There is no left wing argument for sending everyone to college. Find a reputable source for that.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:41 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
The left-wing argument for sending everyone to college is that it creates equal opportunity. Sure, a lot of students will end up in mountains of debt and working at Starbucks, but its a moral victory because everyone deserves higher education. (Lol!)
You would have a lot of unemployed graduates.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM

924 posts, read 667,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
If everyone stopped going to college, what would happen? Would the U.S. plunge into a recession? Would companies stop hiring because they believe that a college education is necessary for every white collar job? Or would the economy restructure itself and move towards a vocational training system that is more efficient for churning out the needed human capital?
Nothing would restructure.

We'd simply have our best jobs outsourced to nations that value education and labor skills.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:20 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I have never heard of this Send Everyone To College Movement thats news to me. I know in Washington state Boeing works with the community colleges to train machinists. Some of the local high schools have ag programs that teach kids how to repair farm machinery. Most of the kids in the rural areas dont go to college. There is no left wing argument for sending everyone to college. Find a reputable source for that.

I agree. I didn't get the send-everyone-to-college memo either. Here in Michigan where I live the local colleges and industries work hand in hand to design programs that meet the needs in the industries. They have many programs that are just two years long with continuing learn on the job. This is the direction higher education is going. No one is saying everyone needs a 4 year degree.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I agree. I didn't get the send-everyone-to-college memo either. Here in Michigan where I live the local colleges and industries work hand in hand to design programs that meet the needs in the industries. They have many programs that are just two years long with continuing learn on the job. This is the direction higher education is going. No one is saying everyone needs a 4 year degree.
You just provided proof of the "Everyone goes to college" meme.

That industry training used to occur in high school where is was free
The last 2 years of HS was either vocational or academic.
Vocational trained you for a job after HS in blue collar, white collar, trades, etc. and involved apprenticeships with local business.

This model is still being used in Europe.

We got rid of this model and put everyone on an academic track.

Go read up on the history of education in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies