Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 11:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You do realize that MANY of those "happy families" are international visitors, right? esp. Walt Disney World.
LOL...yeah the rich Chinese are stopping there after closing on their 4th or 5th US RE purchase

Old 05-26-2014, 11:59 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
More off-topic jibber-jabber.

If you want to discuss sugar substitutes, the Food and Drink boards are that way. --------->
Jabberish!

Old 05-26-2014, 12:01 PM

16,547 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
When you have people, clearly a minority, still trying to ban books from public schools, and when certain states do everything they can to deny a woman's right to control her body (think Texas), and when one political party is utterly off their rails, and when you have people denying that the president was born in America, or people denying evolution, or people spouting off against proven climate science, I call that Taliban behavior.

I take the long view on progress. From desegregation to increasing equal-footing for women to gay equality, this country has moved in a progressive cadence, despite the roadblocks that were placed by the right wing.
Well then not only would you be inaccurate in your description, but your way of trying to make a point is only going to alienate others & your ability to discuss the issues in a reasoned manner.

I suggest you study more on the way the Taliban thinks, acts and enforces it's doctrine. If you still come away thinking it is a fair comparison, then you need more assistance than most will be able to provide. However if you come away thinking you made a mistake, there is hope for you, even if you don't think you need it.

As to your belief in "gay equality", I take it you believe homosexuals should be able to take a historically understood definition of marriage, and insist everyone except their version. One wonders why a behavior is now equated with equality. If that is not a slippery slope, I don't know what is.

`

Old 05-26-2014, 12:01 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You do realize that MANY of those "happy families" are international visitors, right? esp. Walt Disney World.
OK? So?
Apparently there's plenty of Americans as well (they still make up the overwhelming majority).

Ken

Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Taxing the rich to get everything you want is not progress.
Considering the amount of "corporate welfare" the rich benefit from, I'm sure they'll do just fine.

Ken

Old 05-26-2014, 12:08 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
I don't know, I sort of like the new and changing America. The America that's becoming more progressive, more tolerant.
More tolerant? Are you insane?

There is ZERO tolerance for anyone that disagrees with the ideas this administration pushes. One quick perusal through the threads on this board will provide ample evidence of that. If you merely disagree, you're a racist, you want people to die, you're selfish... the list goes on.

If you think that Obama's "new" America is more tolerant, you have a seriously flawed thought process. If you're gay you can claim that with some accuracy, but that's about where the "tolerance" ends. There is no tolerance in the current political climate for anyone other than the most hardcore progressives. To think otherwise is beyond laughable.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:15 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well then not only would you be inaccurate in your description, but your way of trying to make a point is only going to alienate others & your ability to discuss the issues in a reasoned manner.

I suggest you study more on the way the Taliban thinks, acts and enforces it's doctrine. If you still come away thinking it is a fair comparison, then you need more assistance than most will be able to provide. However if you come away thinking you made a mistake, there is hope for you, even if you don't think you need it.

As to your belief in "gay equality", I take it you believe homosexuals should be able to take a historically understood definition of marriage, and insist everyone except their version. One wonders why a behavior is now equated with equality. If that is not a slippery slope, I don't know what is.

`
I have no doubt that were we not a nation based on the rule of law (and I do think our judicial system and LEOs work fairly well), the extremists that I describe as American Taliban would model their actions after the Taliban. Witness that gun orgy and defiance of law from those extremists and their guns -- the Bundy Bunch, a bunch of gun-crazed deadbeats.

"Gay Equality," in scare quotes, no less, is real. The rulings by the courts have found that to exclude gays from the rights enjoyed by heteros is unconstitutional. Finis. Period. Full stop.

Sadly, you reveal yourself to be against the Constitution, and I find that unsurprising, but it saddens me none the less. Not so much because of the irrationality of your thinking, but because your boat has capsized and you don't even know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
More tolerant? Are you insane?

There is ZERO tolerance for anyone that disagrees with the ideas this administration pushes. One quick perusal through the threads on this board will provide ample evidence of that. If you merely disagree, you're a racist, you want people to die, you're selfish... the list goes on.

If you think that Obama's "new" America is more tolerant, you have a seriously flawed thought process. If you're gay you can claim that with some accuracy, but that's about where the "tolerance" ends. There is no tolerance in the current political climate for anyone other than the most hardcore progressives. To think otherwise is beyond laughable.
Really? I think this particular forum is pretty "out there" if compared to normal society. People in real life aren't nearly as extreme as this forum portrays.

Yes, I'm gay, and there is, in real life, little tolerance for homophobia. It just doesn't play, people who make homophobic statements are shunned.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Considering the amount of "corporate welfare" the rich benefit from, I'm sure they'll do just fine.

Ken
Well there have been no changes to the corporate tax laws so it's individuals you're going after so corporate welfare doesn't play any part.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt that were we not a nation based on the rule of law (and I do think our judicial system and LEOs work fairly well), the extremists that I describe as American Taliban would model their actions after the Taliban. Witness that gun orgy and defiance of law from those extremists and their guns -- the Bundy Bunch, a bunch of gun-crazed deadbeats.

"Gay Equality," in scare quotes, no less, is real. The rulings by the courts have found that to exclude gays from the rights enjoyed by heteros is unconstitutional. Finis. Period. Full stop.

Sadly, you reveal yourself to be against the Constitution, and I find that unsurprising, but it saddens me none the less. Not so much because of the irrationality of your thinking, but because your boat has capsized and you don't even know it.
Did you erase the 2nd amendment from your copy ?

Old 05-26-2014, 12:21 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Welcome to Obamas fundamentally reshaped America where if you don't like you are racist!
Well im not a fan of obama. But people have called him the n word, a monkey, a arab, a slave etc. I dont agree with alot of his views but the racism and name calling needs to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies