Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 12:23 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,225,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I have no doubt that were we not a nation based on the rule of law (and I do think our judicial system and LEOs work fairly well), the extremists that I describe as American Taliban would model their actions after the Taliban. Witness that gun orgy and defiance of law from those extremists and their guns -- the Bundy Bunch, a bunch of gun-crazed deadbeats.

"Gay Equality," in scare quotes, no less, is real. The rulings by the courts have found that to exclude gays from the rights enjoyed by heteros is unconstitutional. Finis. Period. Full stop.

Sadly, you reveal yourself to be against the Constitution, and I find that unsurprising, but it saddens me none the less. Not so much because of the irrationality of your thinking, but because your boat has capsized and you don't even know it.
Ah yes, it is the big bad government that is the only thing holding back conservatives from chopping off heads and stoning women to death. Not only has your boat capsized you have jumped the shark!

Old 05-26-2014, 12:25 PM

16,388 posts, read 8,471,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So?
How many countries out there run by "old White men" are basketcases?
There's NOTHING special about "old White men" that makes them better qualified than any other demographic.
Very few women have ever ruled, but those who have have generally been more successful than your average "old White man" who's run things. Yeah, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Abe Lincoln were "old White men" - so too were Joe Stalin, Adolph Hitler, and Benito Mussolini. The overall governing record of "old White men" throughout history is mixed at best (actually probably rather poor) - certainly no better (and actually much, much worse) than the governing record of women. While their record in THIS country is good, what makes you think couldn't women have done as well (or maybe even better)?

Ken
Well first of all we are talking about America, not Russia, Germany or Italy when they were ruled by communism or fascism. Funny how you try to deflect the subject with bringing up some of the worst tyrants of world history as if that is somehow reflective of a majority of white leaders.

Now you mention our early POTUS's as if they were the only examples of white men doing a good job for this country. I think you might really believe that only old historical figures did good things, and every white man in the government from then until now has not served to bring us to this point in history.

Aside from being the most powerful nation on earth, we are also one of the most giving, if not #1. We have the resources and desire to help any nation across the globe that suffers a natural disaster. Heck we even help to rebuild our enemies infrastructure after we defeat them in war.
Our citizens freely give their wealth through charity to help the less fortunate more so than any other nation in history.
Yet there are those who still deride us from within and wish to push their liberal agenda because America needs to change for the better in their view.
American will never be perfect, nor the people who govern her, but we have done an exceptional job thus far in our short history. Like it or not, it was white men(young and old) who were mainly responsible for it.

`

`

Old 05-26-2014, 12:29 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,442,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Ah yes, it is the big bad government that is the only thing holding back conservatives from chopping off heads and stoning women to death. Not only has your boat capsized you have jumped the shark!
Really? Ever hear of lynching? Quite popular in the South, until the feds got involved. And, from the long shadow of history, it really wasn't that long ago. I don't think it was progressives who were, you know, doing the lynching. Now, if the rule of law troubles you, there's surely a flight from JFK to Kabul departing soon.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Really? Ever hear of lynching? Quite popular in the South, until the feds got involved. And, from the long shadow of history, it really wasn't that long ago. I don't think it was progressives who were, you know, doing the lynching. Now, if the rule of law troubles you, there's surely a flight from JFK to Kabul departing soon.
Okay, that one i'm not going to let go. It was the old Southern Democrats who kept that crap in force. I was a little girl at that time but those memories haven't faded one bit!

Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 PM

5,723 posts, read 3,235,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Considering the amount of "corporate welfare" the rich benefit from, I'm sure they'll do just fine.

Ken

Yep because killing the geese laying the golden eggs ( job makers and jobs) is the way to go

Old 05-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Okay, that one i'm not going to let go. It was the old Southern Democrats who kept that crap in force. I was a little girl at that time but those memories haven't faded one bit!
It's a pity you don't know history better. Southern Democrats were racists, while, paradoxically, Northern Republicans were liberal. When LBJ signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, he stated that the Democrats had lost the South for a generation. Well, he was wrong -- it's been a couple of generations. But he was right in what he did, and it's a real shame the Republican Party (to which these disaffected "Democratic" bigots switched to) is the poster child for bigotry and inequality.

And let's look, if anecdotally, at the residual impact. Republicans, when they were a sane party, garnered up to 25% of the black vote. Today? Maybe nine percent, ten percent.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It's a pity you don't know history better. Southern Democrats were racists, while, paradoxically, Northern Republicans were liberal. When LBJ signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, he stated that the Democrats had lost the South for a generation. Well, he was wrong -- it's been a couple of generations. But he was right in what he did, and it's a real shame the Republican Party (to which these disaffected "Democratic" bigots switched to) is the poster child for bigotry and inequality.

And let's look, if anecdotally, at the residual impact. Republicans, when they were a sane party, garnered up to 25% of the black vote. Today? Maybe nine percent, ten percent.

You made my point. Southern DEMOCRATS.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You made my point. Southern DEMOCRATS.
You had no point to affirm. Southern Democrats were racists, and after LBJ and his push for equality, they left the party. And where did they turn? To the REPUBLICANS! They felt right at home with their sicknesses. Made our party stronger and culled the herd of bigots. That's a good thing.

What's so difficult for you to comprehend?

Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You had no point to affirm. Southern Democrats were racists, and after LBJ and his push for equality, they left the party. Made our party stronger and culled the herd of bigots. That's a good thing.

What's so difficult for you to comprehend?

Robert Byrd, who btw uttered a racial epithet not too long before he died in 2010 while he was a SITTING Senator. He said it on live t.v. You apparently can't comprehend it because...???

Old 05-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Robert Byrd, who btw uttered a racial epithet not too long before he died in 2010 while he was a SITTING Senator. He said it on live t.v. You apparently can't comprehend it because...???
Robert Byrd redeemed himself and I challenge you to post a legitimate link to support your claim. Still, I find it curious (not really) that you offer nothing but crickets when it comes to the sad, ugly position of Republicans who defected from the Democratic Party after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But, for you to do so, for you to be honest, would require an appreciation for equality, and to acknowledge that the soul -- currently in deposit in a safebox in Hell -- of the Republican Party (then, and now) is the legacy of right wing extremism on the frothing right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies