Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an openly gay/lesbian President?
YES 52 61.18%
NO 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times

Advertisements

WOW....I never really knew all of that between Buchanan and William Rufus King. It surely implies That he was gay. But yet he was in the closet.
I think societies perception of gays/lesbians is clouded by what they see on TV and other media. Not all of us look, act, or even want to be seen as "RuPaul" or the "Village People". And the statement above about the "girlie-man image", is pure bulls**t, I think that image would be easier to lay to rest than the current image the world has of our country, which BTW has been caused by a straight man that flaunts his Heterosexuality and Religious beliefs. As long as the candidate didnt show up to a debate dressed like Boy George, what would it matter?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 PM

112 posts, read 180,068 times
Why should it matter if the president was gay or lesbian.. If they can do the job so be it. Whoever it was that said you didn't want a "girlie man" in office, honestly way to generalize. Most men and woman who are gay you probably wouldn't even know. I actually feel sorry for you that you actually think every gay man is feminine and every lesbian is butch. Those who fit that stereotype are probably in the minority to be quite honest with you. :/

Old 12-13-2007, 12:59 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hektic View Post
Those who fit that stereotype are probably in the minority to be quite honest with you. :/
I'm under that impression, too.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:03 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Exactly the type of response I expected. You won't answer seriously.
OK, Auqualung, (jethro tull was one of my favorites in the days of my youth by the way), It is hard to give a serious answer because it is hard to take the premise serious. The whole idea that, A MAN, that DESIRES to have sex with another MAN , Is not different than A MAN that desires to have sex with a woman , is absurd and ridculous and a fantasy, we all know it, but the left and the PC crowd want to pretend. The American people will not elect someone that has that sort of character flaw. Not going to happen, wouldnt be prudent!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
OK, Auqualung, (jethro tull was one of my favorites in the days of my youth by the way), It is hard to give a serious answer because it is hard to take the premise serious. The whole idea that, A MAN, that DESIRES to have sex with another MAN , Is not different than A MAN that desires to have sex with a woman , is absurd and ridculous and a fantasy, we all know it, but the left and the PC crowd want to pretend. The American people will not elect someone that has that sort of character flaw. Not going to happen, wouldnt be prudent!
I would just have to say that your argument here is absolutely.... ridiculous.

It's hard for you to give an answer that doesn't involve insulting millions of people who enjoy having a partner of the same gender. Seriously, it's not about gender when it comes to love - it's who compliments and accents you.

Saying that being homosexual is a "character flaw" - that's ridiculous. There's many other species of animals (since we are animals, ourselves) that can also be homosexual.

Aside from that, I'd like an honest answer to this scenario:

Your current favorite candidate for Presidency (gets rid of current significant other) and is now traveling with someone of the same gender. This candidate doesn't say it out loud, "I'm GAY!" - but rather does the same as the other candidates.

Would you not vote for said candidate purely over having a significant other who is the same gender?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Are any of your friends gay men? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, obviously, but it's just difficult for me to believe that you think this if you know any gay people well.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
How do we know that we haven't already had a gay President??

Heck, we had a gay Vice-President already and he invented the internet.

Seriously, it wouldn't matter to me. I think we will have a gay/lesbian as President in the next 50 years or so.

Can a lesbian be a President before a woman?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
Duplicated post by accident-Oops

Old 12-13-2007, 02:43 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
Quote:
Character flaw ? Wow I thought a character flaw was being a liar, a thief or a criminal , or even being bigoted and ignorant. I guess I must be "pretending" because to me whether a man has sex with a woman or another man he is to me exactly the same human being ( same principle for Lesbians) . I will judge him by the same criteria I judge other people.
Are they decent, nice and intelligent human beings and do I like them ? Their sexual orientation is nothing to do with me and none of my business.
My sexual orientation is nobody else's business either.

As for running a country I would rather see a Gay president who had an IQ above that of a chimp, was not un-necessarily bellicose, had a good grasp of matters on crucial subjects like the Economy, Healthcare, Education and Foreign Affairs and could string a sentence together than a cretin heterosexual or not.

Who their sexual partner is is not only of no interest to me but would never influence my voting.

To dismiss a great leader because of their sexual orientation is IMO absolutely ludicrous.

Heck , I would even vote for a Christian if I thought they were the best candidate and I'm an Atheist who finds religion a bemusing and often dangerous concept.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
How do we know that we haven't already had a gay President??
Well, I think the point was an openly gay president. I guess that's comparable to openly atheist president. I'm guessing at some point in history, we had a president who was an atheist but never would've admitted it. I guess one can get elected as a closeted homosexual or atheist; to be out about it is another thing entirely.

Quote:
Can a lesbian be a President before a woman?
So you don't think lesbians are women? Just teasing you. But I would say no--we'd have a heterosexual woman before a homosexual one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies