Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 07:30 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

The following is a logical continuation of the recently-closed thread about electing a gay/lesbian president. The thread was closed because folks who had responded to the poll in the negative reinforced themselves with negative remarks about moral standards (or lackthereof) in regards to homosexuality in general. When I and several others attempted to defend ourselves, these same folks began to whine "off-topic." Here is how I was about to continue the debate. Feel free to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Well, if no opinions are offered to explains one's vote then we really don't need a thread. You just want a yes or no so the actual poll would sufice?
Actually, if that is what would have been done in the first place, there wouldn't be all of this worry about straying so far off from the original poll topic. I've only been skewing the topic even further because I feel compelled to defend myself from the offensive reasons I read about why folks wouldn't consider voting for a gay/lesbian president. I needed to air the TRUTH in that not all gays/lesbians are as we are portrayed in media-overblown gay sex scandals or pride parades. I'm relatively conservative on some social issues, including abortion for example. I volunteer in my community. Other than two speeding tickets I stay on the right side of the law. Social networking has made me rather popular---not villified. I'm disheartened to see that when I run for city council in the future I won't have a fighting chance in hell if so many voters would reject me for such a superficial reason as my sexual orientation. I never understood why people thought there was a direct correlation between one's personal life and potential to govern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies