Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Before someone posts the LIE about people leaving California... it is low and middle class folks leaving California. California always has positive high income inflow.

So much for taxes, eh?
Maybe you should do a little research. This site says CA has lost $46.3 BILLION in AGI over the past 20 years based on IRS tax reporting data.

IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Liberals are off the hook. The fact that California and New York consistently post high-income inflow confirms that. The geographic realities are what they are. Why is LA, NYC, and SF Bay significantly more expensive than Chicago? "Liberal" policies sure aren't the reason...

Nope, housing costs. Taxes have nothing to do with it. The difference in state tax for most states is pretty insignificant.

New Jersey (and Connecticut) also receives positive high-income migration. People escaping New York City proper... In fact, when people use propaganda to push anti-tax propaganda in New York, they cite New York's historic trend of out-migration. The four largest recipients of New York migrants are Florida, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. Suprise.
You can debate all you want but the bottom line is that more are leaving than arriving in these states for whatever reason you want to go with.

The bottom line is that it costs more to live there.
As people earn less they will move if they have to.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From the few families that moved from CA to TX that I spoke to it was about having more discretionary money.
Less in taxes means more in your pocket. If you're rich then that is not a factor is it ?
Yes, it is a factor for the rich. Taxes are why a lot of athletes live in TX and FL rather than CA. Tiger Woods is a good example.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Nope, housing costs. Taxes have nothing to do with it. The difference in state tax for most states is pretty insignificant.
You call 56% higher taxes "insignificant?"

NY taxes are 56% higher than TN. In my book, 56% is quite significant.

CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Strange. I've been in my Austin house 10 years and my property taxes are actually lower than they were 10 years ago. And since there are limits on how much they can go up in any given year, it would take decades to triple our property taxes.

Anyone claiming any State is tax free is alarmingly misinformed.

Yes, it does make a difference. Look at this study published by CNN. It's a little old, but clearly shows there are HUGE total tax differences from state to state.

CNN/Money: Taxes state by state
Travis county..bought in 1997 ($2K taxes). Left in 2010 ($6K taxes).
Refinanced in 2008 and fought my property taxes with my closing papers/appraisal and got $80K shaved off of my "appraised value" from TCAD.

I had 6 acres with the land value skyrocketing as subdivisions were popping up all around the farmland out by me.
That I couldn't fight and win.

Austin sprawl is what drove up my values.

And your lower values seem to be the exception.
Go over to the Austin forum and read about the 2014 TCAD appraisals that came out with double digit increases.
People are hiring professionals to fight their appraisals now because the boys down at the county refuse to change anything.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:10 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Liberals are off the hook. The fact that California and New York consistently post high-income inflow confirms that. The geographic realities are what they are. Why is LA, NYC, and SF Bay significantly more expensive than Chicago? "Liberal" policies sure aren't the reason...

New Jersey (and Connecticut) also receives positive high-income migration. People escaping New York City proper... In fact, when people use propaganda to push anti-tax propaganda in New York, they cite New York's historic trend of out-migration. The four largest recipients of New York migrants are Florida, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. Suprise.
It makes sense that NYC migrants would come to New Jersey. The fact remains that we are the heaviest taxed state in the US, however.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Travis county..bought in 1997 ($2K taxes). Left in 2010 ($6K taxes).
Refinanced in 2008 and fought my property taxes with my closing papers/appraisal and got $80K shaved off of my "appraised value" from TCAD.

I had 6 acres with the land value skyrocketing as subdivisions were popping up all around the farmland out by me.
That I couldn't fight and win.

Austin sprawl is what drove up my values.

And your lower values seem to be the exception.
Go over to the Austin forum and read about the 2014 TCAD appraisals that came out with double digit increases.
People are hiring professionals to fight their appraisals now because the boys down at the county refuse to change anything.
My house value has also gone up over the past 10 years, but I hire a tax protester and have actually had a decline.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Location means nothing if you can't afford it.
And that is why the high desirable places are full of wealthy people.
Thus is why it isn't the wealthy doing the migrating out of high COL cities and states. And if you can't afford the cost of housing in a location, the amount of taxes doesn't matter.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
My house value has also gone up over the past 10 years, but I hire a tax protester and have actually had a decline.
That's what it's turned into..you "hire" someone now to protest your taxes.
The only way the lowly citizen can get a reduction now is to show up with closing papers/appraisal.

It didn't used to be that way and you've accepted the change and pay for it.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Thus is why it isn't the wealthy doing the migrating out of high COL cities and states. And if you can't afford the cost of housing in a location, the amount of taxes doesn't matter.
And then you demonize the southern states for having too many poor !
We didn't make them poor did we ?
They are coming here because they can't afford to live in your wealthy high COL urban cities my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies