Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Tell all the transplants from NY and NJ in Florida it isn't about income taxes.
...nothing to do with retirement communities, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The 23-year-old kids that just graduated from Northwestern that moved in next door to you have no qualms about replicating Chicago's lifestyle at your expense.

Monitor closely my long-tenured conservative friend.
I highly doubt that. I live rural on 45 acres 20 minutes from town which can boast that Brookshire Brothers is its biggest store

I left Austin area because lots of those transplants did move and did expect those types of amenities.
Since 2008 and Austin gave it to them. Now people making $80K can't afford to buy homes today in the city.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:23 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The ignorance of some people from <conservative state> never ceases to amaze me.

If you consider aggregate humidity, sure. Keep in mind humidity becomes oppressive depending on the dew point temperature. New York is far cooler than Texas, so the "equal" humidity does not feel equal. 90 degrees and 70% humidity is not the same as 65 degrees and 70% humidity, which describes a typical May day in Texas vs. New York.

Austin also happens to be quite liberal.

Nope, "low taxes" are unsustainable. As more people move in, more services (thus funding) is required. Low taxes works for small states. It becomes increasingly difficult sustain as the population increases.
Get a clue, I'm from CALIFORNIA! Stop with the knee jerk reactions. And btw, since you started it, upper New York state is drop dead gorgeous, but why anyone would live in New York city, sandwiched in like sardines, dogs pooping on the sidewalks, rats bigger than my kitten??? Where eighteen inches of snow makes people act like they are living out the apocalypse? No. Just no.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:23 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
They could go anywhere to retire. CA and NC have much better weather.

But they don't go there, nor do they stay in NY or NJ.

They go to Florida where there is no income tax.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Tell all the transplants from NY and NJ in Florida it isn't about income taxes.
Do those transplants have jobs they are moving to in Florida? Personally I would think it had more to do with weather than taxes. Winters kind of suck in NY and NJ.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I call Florida God's Waiting Room for a reason.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Get a clue, I'm from CALIFORNIA! Stop with the knee jerk reactions. And btw, since you started it, upper New York state is drop dead gorgeous, but why anyone would live in New York city, sandwiched in like sardines, dogs pooping on the sidewalks, rats bigger than my kitten??? Where eighteen inches of snow makes people act like they are living out the apocalypse? No. Just no.
Yet millions do live in NYC and thousands move here every year.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The 23-year-old kids that just graduated from Northwestern that moved in next door to you have no qualms about replicating Chicago's lifestyle at your expense.

Monitor closely my long-tenured conservative friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I highly doubt that. I live rural on 45 acres 20 minutes from town which can boast that Brookshire Brothers is its biggest store

I left Austin area because lots of those transplants did move and did expect those types of amenities.
Since 2008 and Austin gave it to them. Now people making $80K can't afford to buy homes today in the city.
First they take over the cities then they'll come for you next.

Yes, you've explained about how Texas has a different taxing mentality than California but again...those things can change when you get to be outnumbered.

It's almost universally true that natives/long-tenured locales do not benefit from new booms in their state on taxing/infrastructure issues. Mostly due to mainstream liberal/Dem policies. Booms need young/college-educated folks and those kids lean liberal.

I'm not siding with the taxing/infrastructure philosophies of mainstream libs/Dems. I'm just saying it is what it is.

I hate my taxes/COL in California. Who wouldn't? But that only means I must decide what works best for me. I'm not going to complain about it for 30 years.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
The ignorance of some people from <conservative state> never ceases to amaze me.

If you consider aggregate humidity, sure. Keep in mind humidity becomes oppressive depending on the dew point temperature. New York is far cooler than Texas, so the "equal" humidity does not feel equal. 90 degrees and 70% humidity is not the same as 65 degrees and 70% humidity, which describes a typical May day in Texas vs. New York.

Austin also happens to be quite liberal.

Nope, "low taxes" are unsustainable. As more people move in, more services (thus funding) is required. Low taxes works for small states. It becomes increasingly difficult sustain as the population increases.
Austin's liberalness is commonly exaggerated. It is a nice place - but it is still Texas. Not particularly "progressive."

As for humidity - I would never say Houston is pleasant in the summer. But neither is NYC. Much of Texas though is rather dry in the afternoon. That's what heat does when you don't have moisture from the Gulf of Mexico.

You don't understand taxes. Really. Texas will spend more as population rises. But if Texas spends $x per capita, it will like continue to spend $x per capita. Please remember Texas has been growing for decades and overall spending levels are comparable today to what they were decades ago.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet millions do live in NYC and thousands move here every year.
Yes they do. And normally I wouldn't have said what I did. But people like opin-yunated insist on denigrating people who live in other areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies