Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Florida creates lots of jobs.

The weather there sucks, unless you never go outside from June through October.
I never said Florida doesn't create jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Florida jobs are much lower income than the Northeast.

Because most of Texas' migrants are coming from the Northeast. They are moving for lower COL. Gen Y can't survive in the Bay Area, Northeast, or DC.

But the cons will never admit it... NYC was #2 in the country for tech private sector job creation (#1 is Sillicon Valley). Not Texas, not Alabama, not Florida, not Tennessee. New York and California!

California is too expensive and North Carolina's weather is overrated. It is midly warmer than the East Coast, with more oppressive heat in the summer. North Carolina receives snow every year but has poor snow removal.

They go to Florida because it is on the east coast. California is too expensive for retirement. Florida has the warmest winters on the East Coast. It isn't that hard to comprehend. People want to retire and not have to freeze.

New York City still sucks.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
New York City still sucks.
Rendered by someone who's either never been there or couldn't make it there.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Rendered by someone who's either never been there or couldn't make it there.

I have been there. What is it with people on this forum who just assume they know everything about people?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
You have never visited a liberal state and seen the wealth of public amenities we have at our disposal. My city has a free public concert series in multiple locations every week. We have dozens of miles of inner city bike trails. We have dozens of parks. We have bike lanes. We have extensive public transportation.
Nothing new or liberal there. I live in one of the reddest areas in one of the reddest states and we have all that, plus throw in miles and miles of year-round hiking and biking trails in the mountains and around the lakes.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown

I took my business and family from metro NY to Virginia, which despite recent elections is still a functional state thanks to a Republican controlled legislature.

Schools are better too thanks to non-union teachers and cost much less due to consolidated districts and non-union teachers.

So this is the race to the bottom I've heard about?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:40 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Nothing new or liberal there. I live in one of the reddest areas in one of the reddest states and we have all that, plus throw in miles and miles of year-round hiking and biking trails in the mountains and around the lakes.
What's the population of your town and county?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lots of families came from California. That's what was reported in the Austin area based on school attendance.
I imagine it's cheaper to raise a family in Texas than CA. Taxes do play a part in COL though and Texas has no state income tax.

Most California homeowners have enough equity to buy a mansion almost anywhere else - and many do.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
You have never visited a liberal state and seen the wealth of public amenities we have at our disposal. My city has a free public concert series in multiple locations every week. We have dozens of miles of inner city bike trails. We have dozens of parks. We have bike lanes. We have extensive public transportation. .
Actually, I've been to every state except Alaska. And to every major city in the USA. I even lived in liberal CA for awhile. Your description could apply to dozens of cities all over the USA. You don't need to be a "liberal" city to have those things.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:58 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
I like Texas to visit, but it is too corporate. Too many chain restaurants. Too much humidity. Flat boring geography. Not enough parks. I like waterfronts.
I seriously doubt that TX has more chain restaurants than CA. And with dozens of lakes and 450 miles of ocean, we have lots of waterfront property. And tons of parks and parkland. And some mountains and some pine forests, etc.

I'm beginning to think that you have never been to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies