Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The founders of Google are not Americans. Why should they have anything to do with American holidays?
They are both American...One born in Russia but US at a young age. The well known CEO was also an American

Old 05-26-2014, 01:27 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,288 times
I wish Google would stop wasting my bandwidth with their stupid graphics, ignore EVERYTHING!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They can do whatever they want because it's their company.
Go find yourself another search engine if you don't like what they do or do not do on any given day.
OP is simply pointing out a fact: of course they can do what they want, but this is a day most of us, regardless of our political beliefs that our vets. It has been that way since I can remember (probably before you were born) Memorial day and Veterans day are the days all Americans should honor our vets. Whether it is a person, a internet company or a business. The op isn't asking any of us to boycott Google, he/she is pointing something out; end of story!!!!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 PM

794 posts, read 818,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Google Doodles
Doodles are the fun, surprising, and sometimes spontaneous changes that are made to the Google logo to celebrate holidays, anniversaries, and the lives of famous artists, pioneers, and scientists.

Teeny, tiny graphic they use for Memorial Day

They obviously aren't putting the emphasis on Memorial Day that they do to dozens if not hundreds of other occasions. "Parents Day" in Korea has it's own special banner.

I guess Google doesn't think Memorial Day is as important as United Arab Emirates National Day
This. This is what the point is. For our Memorial Day, we get a tiny little flag icon below the main graphic, clearly showing the vibe "no big deal".

For other "holidays", like the example above, we get an entire main graphic to reflect Google's acknowledgment of said "holiday" or sentiment. It's disgusting.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's falling to the wayside just like "D Day" did.
Not even recognized in schools anymore except as a mention in history class.
Veteran's Day is another that's fading.

Schools are in session here today in this area. They used today as a makeup day to make their attendance quota.
The reason some schools are in session today is due to the unbelievable winter, you know that. I don't know about where you live, but most of Texas and certainly AR do celebrate and yes, the kids do know why we have Memorial day. Just ask my 1st grade Great granddaughter. D day was never a big day of celebration.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
This. This is what the point is. For our Memorial Day, we get a tiny little flag icon below the main graphic, clearly showing the vibe "no big deal".

For other "holidays", like the example above, we get an entire main graphic to reflect Google's acknowledgment of said "holiday" or sentiment. It's disgusting.
I had NO idea that there was a size standard for these things.

None. Hmmm...... The bigger the flag the bigger the patriotism? Is that how it works?

Old 05-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Google is used all over the world. It isn't Memorial Day everywhere.
It is an American company and they should recognize our very special, patriotic holiday. That is all we are asking, Apparently they are now using a small American flag on the home page. If so, good for them.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The founders of Google are not Americans. Why should they have anything to do with American holidays?
maybe you need to check your sources or I need to check mine. I think you are wrong.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghFan View Post
One founder of Google, was Larry Page, born and raised in Michigan. The second was Sergy Brin, from Moscow.

Why should that matter? They made a product people wanted, and made billions more than most people ever well.

American success story if you ask me.
Brin is not from Moscow. He was born there but came to the US at 6 years old. He is an American Citizen.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:52 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
This is how Google has honored Memorial Day from the beginning. It hasn't deviated, unlike their other doodles. What have you complainers done to honor our fallen soldiers today? Throwing a barbecue, I imagine. This liberal who has no problem with what Google did spent her morning at the two cemeteries where my family is buried decorating the graves of veterans (no one in my family has died in service, but I brought rocks and flags to put on the graves of those who did).

It's interesting to note that people don't seem to recognize the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. Today is not about honoring our veterans - today is about honoring those who did not come home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies