Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Who'd have thought gay marriage would be a constitutional right a mere 10 years ago? Opinions change. How long will people tolerate gun chaos in their communities? I think a more likely scenario though is what we have seen with gay rights: court decisions erode the 2nd Amendment to the point where gun control approaching a ban becomes both possible and even common in some states.
What chaos? There hasn't been a shooting here in over 20 years and gun crime across the country has been declining for decades. Every community isn't Detroit or Compton. Most places are reducing restrictions on firearm ownership and seeing crime decrease in spite of absurdly biased media coverage that tries to paint every US street as West Fallujah.

Molon Labe might become a much more popular phrase in wider circles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 05:33 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Asking such a hypothetical question ... is worthless. Because you and we know that will never happen. Might as well as ask what we would do if we found out the Moon was made of Swiss, or Blue cheese.
^^^^^^^^^ This.

Everyone knows it's Roquefort.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:35 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I'm guessing it would be on a larger scale of this.

» Connecticut Gun Owners Revolt; Refuse to Register Firearms & Magazines Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Try making millions of people instant felons and you WILL have a civil war.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:05 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Default It would nothappen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Gun lovers - what would you do if the Constitution were legally amended to ban private ownership of guns? Keep in mind that many of you support the Constitution, or even swore to uphold it.
It would not happen, there would be political actions done foe those who made it pass. The authors of the bill would have do it technicality, like Obama Care.

whole industries would disappear for the allusion of safety. Wait till the thugs come out at night!

In some cases the ATF would have to break down doors to round guns. That would sit well with America!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That would be an attempt to pervert the Constitution. I would keep my guns. Yes, I swore to uphold and defend the Constitution, against st ALL ENEMIES FORIGEN AND DOMESTIC. I would view this as an attack on our liberties, and an attempt , by power mongers, to sieze control and trample our liberty. Pretty simple. If you think that this is an unhittable curve ball, you, you need to spend some more time in the bull pen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The specific example brought up is never going to happen, that's true. At least not in our lifetimes. But the question of whether there are some rights that are held high enough in peoples' estimation that if the constitution itself infringed upon them people would violate their oaths to protect the constitution I think is an interesting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

» Connecticut Gun Owners Revolt; Refuse to Register Firearms & Magazines Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Thank you for coming close to answering the question. I didn't ask "whether" it would happen (the Constitution can be amended), nor did I ask what your state would do (though thats almost what I asked) I asked what you personally would do if it happened.

I think it's unlikely to happen, but not impossible in a few decades. Certainly it's not going to happen in the near future. Society is changing with blinding speed, with demographics, cultural values, and with an accelerating rate of technological change ...... the world will be a completely different place 30 years from now.

It wouldn't be a big deal to me since I lived many years before buying a gun, and found little use for them when I did. I guess a concealed gun can be comforting if wandering around a high crime area, I did that in Seattle, and they are still used for regular and subsistence hunting especially up in Alaska. However I don't think they're important enough to rebel over, certainly not as important as freedom of speech, for one example.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,104 times
Quote:
Gun lovers - what would you do if the Constitution were legally amended to ban private ownership of guns? Keep in mind that many of you support the Constitution, or even swore to uphold it.
that would be against the 2nd amendment.

then as a result the amendment itself is treasonous.

first of all common sense.

that's like repealing the 4th and 5th amendments

the 16th amendment passed to the constitution was treason by the government to her people us.
they violated the contract they have made with us the people.

hence 16th amendment is actually illegal.

that is why many are fighting to repeal it.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Thank you for coming close to answering the question. I didn't ask "whether" it would happen (the Constitution can be amended), nor did I ask what your state would do (though thats almost what I asked) I asked what you personally would do if it happened.

I think it's unlikely to happen, but not impossible in a few decades. Certainly it's not going to happen in the near future. Society is changing with blinding speed, with demographics, cultural values, and with an accelerating rate of technological change ...... the world will be a completely different place 30 years from now.

It wouldn't be a big deal to me since I lived many years before buying a gun, and found little use for them when I did. I guess a concealed gun can be comforting if wandering around a high crime area, I did that in Seattle, and they are still used for regular and subsistence hunting especially up in Alaska. However I don't think they're important enough to rebel over, certainly not as important as freedom of speech, for one example.
I don't think you will get a straight up answer because no one wants to be on a watch list but judging by the number of 80% builds out there people would most likely turn in a "registered weapon" upon confiscation and keep one with no markings and that isn't traceable.

So, 30 years from now there would still be millions of weapons out there. It would be impossible to track the number that have no serial number and aren't registered. We are talking millions of weapons here like that. Old semi-auto high powered rifles. People have reloading equipment and there is no way to trace any of it. If someone finds a way to get primers there is no way the govt can track any of it.

For that matter I've seen a way to punch out spent primers and re-load those too. Never mind the old stamped AK guys that can turn out AK-47s with simple stamped metal.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

The Bundy Ranch Standoff on a much larger scale.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Actually a good question

It would be interesting to see how many of these people who claim to support the constitution would react if the 2nd amendment was removed, I would expect that more than a few would no longer support the constitution.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Frankly, it's none of anyone else's business how I choose to protect my family, my home and myself. I'm not giving up my right to do any of those, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies