Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
You can bother with being pedantic when the conversation includes open carry of super soakers and novelty tee-shirt launchers. Guns, as being discussed means mechanical objects capable of "launching a projectile" with deadly force. What the shooter intends to do with that object is immaterial to the message that is being sent by the act of openly carrying it in most public spaces.

Well I think they are for killing. People need to defend themselves from those who have no respect for human life. A firearm is a tool. Entirely inanimate until I provide the means for use. Nothing wrong with killing someone if the alternative is the loss of your life or that of a loved one or great bodily harm to either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
You can bother with being pedantic when the conversation includes open carry of super soakers and novelty tee-shirt launchers. Guns, as being discussed means mechanical objects capable of "launching a projectile" with deadly force. What the shooter intends to do with that object is immaterial to the message that is being sent by the act of openly carrying it in most public spaces.
What can I say? You're wrong on every level.

Correcting you about the "one purpose" that a gun has isn't being pedantic - it's correcting your wholly inaccurate message that was designed to evoke a specific emotional response and lure people into taking your side in this debate, which we now know is based on a lie.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
One other thing the fellows in the first video are not brandishing their firearms.

Did not even bother with the second as the OP lost any credence by posting poor info.
"Brandish" is one of those words that has different legal and common meanings from place to place and situation to situation.

IMO, any action that amounts to a deliberate intention to make someone else visually aware that I have a firearm is "brandishing." If he knows I'm armed because I deliberately did something to make sure he saw my weapon, that is "brandishing."

Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Well I think they are for killing. People need to defend themselves from those who have no respect for human life. A firearm is a tool. Entirely inanimate until I provide the means for use. Nothing wrong with killing someone if the alternative is the loss of your life or that of a loved one or great bodily harm to either.
When the only solution is a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
If someone is that unnecessarily concerned about being attacked in public then maybe they shouldn't go out in public. Or just conceal carry and not be a showy threatening jerk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger
What can I say? You're wrong on every level.
Wrong about what exactly? What is the message being conveyed by open carry of a firearm in a mall, or restaurant or a crowded city street? It is a mechanism capable of grave harm and death, and that is exactly what it is perceived as by the vast majority of people. It is very clear that the message is "I can harm you," and it's a jerk move and socially irresponsible in an open liberal society.

I'm a gun owner. I know that guns don't kill people, people kill people. But I also know that killing is the reason for guns and no matter how pedantic you want to be, guns = mechanism for killing is pretty much a universal understanding.

So again, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
When the only solution is a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
If someone is that unnecessarily concerned about being attacked in public then maybe they shouldn't go out in public. Or just conceal carry and not be a showy threatening jerk about it.
Humans are capable of being much more discrete in their thinking than you are indicating in the bold face.

I was actually thinking in terms of self defense at home regarding the most logical intended use of a firearm.

I would prefer concealed carry if relating to carrying in public.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Humans are capable of being much more discrete in their thinking than you are indicating in the bold face.

I was actually thinking in terms of self defense at home regarding the most logical intended use of a firearm.

I would prefer concealed carry if relating to carrying in public.
No argument from me on that. If one feels the need to defend their home with a firearm then go for it. I say the same, with a lot of trepidation, about concealed carry.

Open carry is a whole different matter as it conveys a threat of violence by the carrier. It's irresponsible gun ownership and frankly poor citizenship in my opinion.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 05-28-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 12:42 PM

I do not like open carry either in the city. I could understand in the country context(rural, sparse pop., hunting)

But I am of an age where I am extremely level-headed. I would not like to be around open carry near a country honky-tonk type of bar frequented by young fellows full of ego.

BTW, I only carry a small inconspicuous Spiderco pocket knife in public. No CCC for me as there is no need.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:42 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Brandish" is one of those words that has different legal and common meanings from place to place and situation to situation.

IMO, any action that amounts to a deliberate intention to make someone else visually aware that I have a firearm is "brandishing." If he knows I'm armed because I deliberately did something to make sure he saw my weapon, that is "brandishing."
Just because your definition of brandishing is different then the real one doesn't really matter, it is just your opinion. Fact is they were not brandishing, as far as the first video is concerned.

brandishing - definition of brandishing by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

If you live in a state where open carry is legal, and you are lawfully open carrying, then it is not considered brandishing.
That being said, there is no tactical advantage to open carry. Even if I lived in a state when open carry was legal, I would still carry concealed. I want the bad guy to be surprised when he is eating lead.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Green Apple View Post
Open Carry Texas have conducted provocative demonstrations in which armed men exercise their right under state law to carry semi-automatic rifles in public. No fewer than five national food and beverage chains have now told them to get rid of their guns or get lost, including Starbucks, Wendy’s, Applebees, Jack in the Box, and Chipotle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VJPMeXQ6xk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUOopHPlMc

Please, never come to Austin, unless you want to crap your pants over the sight of a gun.

Jogging full pack and rifle, on the Hike&Bike trail is a glorious sight to behold.
Or a stroll down congress, or 6th st. with Shotgun in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies