Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:15 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Are you breaking the law when you pick up a friend and take them somewhere for gas money?
In these people's minds that is somehow different because you pay to use a certain communication network to find your driver.

Maybe they would be open to it if you were required to "befriend" the driver before getting in the car. Your question can be even more interesting... is it breaking the law to get a ride from a co-worker or acquaintance if you pay them gas money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:16 AM

1,070 posts, read 739,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Their are not cab companies, your argument is invalid.
Oh yes they are, they transport people for money.

Unlicensed cab operators, that's what they are.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Oh yes they are, they transport people for money.

Unlicensed cab operators, that's what they are.
Taxi companies own, maintain, and lease out a fleet of their cars. These companies do not do that. There is a specific reason why people use the term "ride-sharing companies" rather than taxicab companies.

Nice job ignoring the thorough thrashing of your invalid argument. Valid or not, I still tore your argument up, son.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 AM

We're not talking about friend picking up friends here, are we? Were talking about a commercial operation.

How about I open a store in my basement? The government shouldn't mind me helping out my neighbors with free beer and produce for a voluntary donation? Lol. I am not selling anything. I provide free beer and groceries. Donations are absolutely voluntary. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Are you breaking the law when you pick up a friend and take them somewhere for gas money?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
We're not talking about friend picking up friends here, are we? Were talking about a commercial operation.

How about I open a store in my basement? The government shouldn't mind me helping out my neighbors with free beer and produce for a voluntary donation? Lol. I am not selling anything. I provide free beer and groceries. Donations are absolutely voluntaryl. Lol
Wow you have a problem with freedom. You know their are countries that are specifically based on giving up all your freedom so that you can lick your masters boots and feel comfy in your shackles... maybe you should stop trying to ruin ours that is specifically based on the idea of freedom?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:

How about I open a store in my basement? The government shouldn't mind me helping out my neighbors with free beer and produce for a voluntary donation? Lol. I am not selling anything. I provide free beer and groceries. Donations are absolutely voluntary. Lol
I'm talking about.

I think the cities need to suck it up... you can't stop people from giving rides for money.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM

People, do not buy into the fear mongering... from Sidecar's website:

Quote:
Background Checks

We conduct background checks on drivers, including driving violations, DUI, sexual assault and other criminal offenses.
Quote:
Document Verification

We verify and keep on file every driver’s insurance, registration and driver’s license.
Quote:
We Know Our Drivers

We interview and train every driver before they’re allowed to pick up rides.
Quote:
Vehicle Quality

We maintain a standard vehicle quality level. Cars must be year 2000 or newer.
Quote:
Community Driven

We have a robust community rating system. People with low ratings are removed from the community
Quote:
$1M Commercial Liability Policy

Sidecar provides drivers with a $1M per incident liability insurance policy. Every ride is covered from beginning to end.
Quote:
Zero Tolerance Policy

We have a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for drivers. Riders can report suspicion of drug or alcohol use at support@side.cr or via the support line within the app.
From Lyft's website:

Quote:
Our first-of-its-kind insurance plan provides drivers with additional coverages for ultimate peace of mind. Lyft offers:

Excess Liability: $1,000,000 limit covering driver liability for bodily injury and/or property damage of passengers and/or third parties (applies from the time a driver accepts a ride request until the time the ride is ended in the app)

Contingent Comprehensive & Collision: $2,500 deductible and $50,000 maximum applicable to drivers who purchase collision & comprehensive coverage on their personal policy (applies from the time a driver accepts a ride request until the time the ride is ended in the app)

Excess Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: $1,000,000 limit covering bodily injury of drivers and/or passengers and/or third parties for damages caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist who is at fault (applies from the time a driver accepts a ride request until the time the ride is ended in the app)

Contingent Liability: up to $50,000 per person /$100,000 per accident /$25,000 physical damage, covering driver liability for bodily injury and/or property damage of passengers and/or third parties (applies from the time when a driver flips into driver mode until the driver accepts a ride request)
Quote:
DRIVING RECORD CHECK

Aged 21 or older, with an active U.S. driver’s license for 1+ years

Valid personal auto insurance that meets or exceeds state requirements

No more than two moving violations in the past three years (e.g. accidents, traffic light violations)

No major violations in the past three years (e.g. driving on a suspended license, speeding 21+ mph over the limit)

No DUIs or other drug-related driving violations

No more than one severe infraction on your lifetime driving history

No extreme infractions on your lifetime driving history (e.g. hit-and-run, felonies involving a vehicle)
Quote:
BACKGROUND CHECK

No violent crimes
No sexual offenses
No theft
No property damage
No felonies
No drug related offenses
Quote:
VEHICLE INSPECTIONS

Cars must be model year 2000 or newer, and pass a 19-point vehicle inspection before hitting the road. We conduct all vehicle safety screenings in-person, so we can examine everything from tail lights to tire tread.
Quote:
ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY

Lyft maintains a zero-tolerance drug and alcohol policy. To report suspicions of intoxicant use, contact support@lyft.com or (855) 865-9553
Quote:
TWO-WAY RATINGS

You’ve got the power. Passengers and drivers rate each other after every ride. If you rate someone 3 stars or below, you’ll never be matched with them again. If a driver’s average falls below 4.5 out of 5 stars, they’re no longer able to drive on the Lyft platform. It’s our way of keeping our community’s high-quality standards.

THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING THAT THESE LACK INSURANCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS/VEHICLE STANDARDS ETC.. ARE LYING TO YOU.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Taxi companies own, maintain, and lease out a fleet of their cars. These companies do not do that. There is a specific reason why people use the term "ride-sharing companies" rather than taxicab companies.
I am not really concerned about the term that people use, how is the semantics relevant here, but rather that people are being transported for money by a car, which is in essence the legal definition of taxicab / car service operation.

Quote:
Nice job ignoring the thorough thrashing of your invalid argument. Valid or not, I still tore your argument up, son.
The fact that you chose to reply this way clearly shows that you have no further arguments and lost. Have some pride and disappear, lol

Old 06-01-2014, 09:50 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Yes. Dura lex, sed lex as the ancient say. Even if you don't fully comprehend why such a law was instituted I can assure you that there is a good reason why society decided that it is inappropriate.
Like the law that banned whites from marrying blacks in a majority of the states in the early 1900's? You're Jim Crow and all for mob rule.

Quote:
The law requires that you stop even if no other drivers and cars are present. It's a law. Nobody is asking you to understand it but to obey it.
Obviously you don't understand it as you just contradicted yourself. lol Is it to save lives or just because it's a law?

Quote:
It is possible but more importantly seat belts save lives. That's all.
I agree they do but lets leave it up to the individual. Ban soft drinks, pork and alcohol. Then lets ban people from spending more than 4 hours outside at one time.

Quote:
No. We used to have that. You forgot that there was a time were there were no regulations and only because there was a high rate of incidents, the public demanded the government to step in.
All laws were created because of public demand. Even the prohibition. Lol
Again you have no problem with laws that take away our rights. You forget our founders again?
High rate of incidents like the child labor laws that came about after child labor had dropped to low levels? Or the CRA that came after minorities had made huge steps as far as jobs in the workplace, especially management. In spite of the fact that it was government who chained them?

Quote:
You seem to have a problem with authority and society in general. Why is that? Is there an underlying psychological problem that you try to hide this way?
You seem to have a problem with addressing the issue as well as the truth. What's the name of the psychological problem that you have that makes you want to run other peoples lives when rights haven't been violated. I mean besides control freak.

Government has a small defined role. That's what you don't get.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
People, do not buy into the fear mongering... from Sidecar's website:

DRIVING RECORD CHECK

Valid personal auto insurance that meets or exceeds state requirements
There you go, you can perform a commercial activity, like transporting people for money, while holding a personal auto insurance. Case closed.

Quote:
THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING THAT THESE LACK INSURANCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS/VEHICLE STANDARDS ETC.. ARE LYING TO YOU.
Scream louder, it makes your absurd arguments even less valid lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies