Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:23 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Way back when, I was one of those people who could not imagine a use for the PC.

I think driverless cars will be huge in the future.
Some people think I am crazy when I say computers should drive cars, trustfully, I am more wary of humans driving cars. Demonstrably they are worse at it, and getting no better. Technology gets more advanced and "better" every day.

I don't want to ban driving or anything, like I said, I enjoy track racing... but most people do not have the skills or fundamental understanding of a vehicle as somebody who races and works on them. They don't even have the skills or fundamental understanding that a computer does.

There is actually a company working on a kit to make driverless cars more affordable and accessible than the google car, I believe they are out of Seattle. I am already designing my Victorian inspired horseless-driverless carriage in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
You do know that the popular ride sharing programs make certain that the driver is licensed and insured, and they at least do a driving record check, if not a full background check. These companies also carry large umbrella insurance policies to cover the driver beyond his personal insurance.

It is not like they just let anybody sign up to be a driver.

By statistics, a driver of a ride share program has more to fear from his next ride than the general public has to fear from their driver. These programs are already in use, and I couldn't find a single example via google of a driver murdering/raping/mugging a passenger. There is one example of an Uber driver killing a girl that he hit with his car, but taxi's hit and kill people too.

Millions of rides have been given through these services, how many substantiated horror stories have you heard?
This thread seems to have trended pro/con the nanny state thing. I have no issue with regulated ride sharing.

Unregulated ride sharing works very well on Grand Cayman where all the locals know each other and there is only one road and no place to hide.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
This thread seems to have trended pro/con the nanny state thing. I have no issue with regulated ride sharing.

Unregulated ride sharing works very well on Grand Cayman where all the locals know each other and there is only one road and no place to hide.
I don't think the government has the right or any reason to regulate it. These companies have these requirements independent of government regulation. I know absent of government regulation a company could conceivably launch that doesn't screen drivers at all, but I know that the companies that do would publicize it. At that point, you are responsible for yourself and your money, you can choose the company that doesn't screen it's drivers, but you are consenting to a greater risk than a company that does.

I imagine our fictional company that doesn't bother screening drivers would go out of business almost immediately via competition from better companies.

I don't see where I, you, or we get the authority to ban somebody from engaging in a consensual transaction. (Even with a bad company, they WANT to make the transaction with the bad company.)

Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Some people think I am crazy when I say computers should drive cars, trustfully, I am more wary of humans driving cars. Demonstrably they are worse at it, and getting no better. Technology gets more advanced and "better" every day.

I don't want to ban driving or anything, like I said, I enjoy track racing... but most people do not have the skills or fundamental understanding of a vehicle as somebody who races and works on them. They don't even have the skills or fundamental understanding that a computer does.

There is actually a company working on a kit to make driverless cars more affordable and accessible than the google car, I believe they are out of Seattle. I am already designing my Victorian inspired horseless-driverless carriage in my mind.
Nvidia, Santa Clara, Ca, is well positioned to be the preferred visual computing behind driverless cars for the U.S. and German automakers.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Whereas both are engaged in the same enterprise of moving bodies from point a to point b. it would seem ipso facto 'pure silliness' to think that one is not a threat to the other. In nature and in economics, the usual reaction to perceived existential threats is to attempt destruction of them.
They are not even roughly the same. One takes a body from any desired point to any other desired point. One takes a body from one point on a specified set of points to another point in that same set. One costs 10X the other for most real rides.

So it is absurdly silly to think there is any substantial impact. Different tasks for very different costs.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Nvidia, Santa Clara, Ca, is well positioned to be the preferred visual computing behind driverless cars for the U.S. and German automakers.
The company I am speaking of, and another out of the UK are both working on independent kits that can be put on regular cars or purpose built ones. The UK company claims it will be able to sell a kit for 150 bucks, which seems really cheap. I would be happy if I could get a universal self-driving kit for a few grand.

I would totally sign up for a ride sharing program if I could just send my car out to drive people around and collect partial fares.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Economic freedom. Must have been nice to live in an America where one needed not get permits and pay privledge taxes just to legally earn a living.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:46 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
How long before driverless cars replace taxi cabs as we know them?
Until the first wreck. Then they'll be history.

I can see the headlines now: "Screaming Schoolchildren Carried to Their Deaths by Uncontollable, Unstoppable Robot!"

Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 PM

Colorado likely first to legislatively authorize ride-share services

I live in this state, and I am happy to see this. The term "Partial state regulation" makes me frown, but I will stay optimistic and hope that the concept these businesses started on doesn't just turn into another over-priced taxi service via regulation.

If the business does not want to fail/get sued, it will regulate itself. That is just how you run a successful business.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:48 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
BTW, when will lickered-up teenagers start playing chicken games in their hot rods against driverless cars, trying to make the things stop or swerve etc.? Caring nothing about the reactions of those inside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies