Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:05 AM

231 posts, read 394,477 times

Advertisements

I'm inclined to like light rail. I like urban environments and public transportation. But almost everyone in the United States, seemingly, hates light rail and has convincing arguments for why every project is an expensive boondoggle. The cost per lane of light rail vs. freeways, as well as the amount of people each lane typically carries, is hard to argue against - the freeway wins hands down on both accounts.

Yet I've been having a hard time wrapping my head around this. How is that "poorer" countries can afford excellent transit systems, but for some reason it's so prohibitively costly and disliked on US soil? Something doesn't add up. My gut instinct is that Americans are so used to driving and so overburdened with personal debts that they can't see the forest from the trees.

But of course, there's probably a throng of people frothing at the mouth ready to tell me why that's not true, either.

Is it just that Americans view transit as for poor people, and that the "wealthy" people of the US have better things to spend their time and money on?

No, no. It can't be that, either.

Could someone please explain this to a simpleton like me? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Americans hate taxes and govt, particularly Southern and Western regions of the US. They view everything thru the prism of taking their rights away, their land, taxing them and stealing their money to build transit for the poor.

The US is an awful country to try to govern compared to all other first world nations. Sooner rather than later this country will be 2nd world. Now we have Libertarians proposing that all streets, bridges, roads be privatized. Can you imagine the hodgepodge that would create. This whacked Libertarian on Faux News was going on about how every single person should be allowed to buy a street or bridge and do with it what they please.

Ugh. This place is hopeless.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post
I'm inclined to like light rail. I like urban environments and public transportation. But almost everyone in the United States, seemingly, hates light rail and has convincing arguments for why every project is an expensive boondoggle. The cost per lane of light rail vs. freeways, as well as the amount of people each lane typically carries, is hard to argue against - the freeway wins hands down on both accounts.

Yet I've been having a hard time wrapping my head around this. How is that "poorer" countries can afford excellent transit systems, but for some reason it's so prohibitively costly and disliked on US soil? Something doesn't add up. My gut instinct is that Americans are so used to driving and so overburdened with personal debts that they can't see the forest from the trees.

But of course, there's probably a throng of people frothing at the mouth ready to tell me why that's not true, either.

Is it just that Americans view transit as for poor people, and that the "wealthy" people of the US have better things to spend their time and money on?

No, no. It can't be that, either.

Could someone please explain this to a simpleton like me? Thank you.
Because most are operated poorly and inefficiently.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:08 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
This is a good question, and one that applies more or less here in Canada, too. Going abroad to any overseas major cities will leave your mind boggling when you compare public transport. Many cities have such extensive rail networks, it's incredible.

It probably does have to do with the reliance and prevalance of motor vehicles. A lot of people probably just can't relate to riding a train because it's had a stigma for too long now.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
I have never used a light rail system before, except a bullet train in China. I think most Americans are happy commuting how they do now. No city in my state would be ahead with a light rail. I live in Kansas. I have thought a high speed rail from Kansas City to Denver would be cool. The problem is the tickets need to be cheap, and the only system comparable, Amtrak, is not cheap at all. Train from KC to Chicago is 3 times the cost of an airplane ticket. My town, Lawrence, has a good public bus system and bicycle infrastructure. Most cities outside New England are too spread out for a rail system to work. We'd have to completely change urban planning to make light rail work well. I'd be ok with denser cities, but I don't see it happening.

Edit: I forgot I have used light rail in Shanghai, and it works amazingly, but no US city is laid out like that.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
How could any one person know what practically everyone in the US likes, dislikes or hates?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Americans hate taxes and govt, particularly Southern and Western regions of the US. They view everything thru the prism of taking their rights away, their land, taxing them and stealing their money to build transit for the poor.

The US is an awful country to try to govern compared to all other first world nations. Sooner rather than later this country will be 2nd world. Now we have Libertarians proposing that all streets, bridges, roads be privatized. Can you imagine the hodgepodge that would create. This whacked Libertarian on Faux News was going on about how every single person should be allowed to buy a street or bridge and do with it what they please.

Agree, 100%!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

One person said that! Wow! Then it's definite that it's going to happen.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
What's the point of a rail system when we have airplanes and cars?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What's the point of a rail system when we have airplanes and cars?
Could you imagine how cities like Chicago and New York City would be with any rail system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies