Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 12:27 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

I say if one gangsta uses a gun to shoot another gangsta that should go in the "guns can be good" column.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:31 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I say if one gangsta uses a gun to shoot another gangsta that should go in the "guns can be good" column.
It would be an interesting stat.

1.) Out of all the shootings in, say, 2013, how many were one gang member shooting another gang member?

2.) And how many were one person with a criminal record, shooting another person with a criminal record?
(Many gang members don't have criminal records with the police.... yet)

3.) And how many were a criminal in the process of committing another crime (robbery, rape etc.) shooting someone?

4.) And how many were justified cases of self-defense by an innocent person?

5.) And how many were suicides?

If you deleted all those, what you have left, is all the law-abiding people shooting other law-abiding people. These are the cases that might be affected by "tighter gun control laws". My guess is, it will be a relatively small number.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I would rather see all black people armed, I bet violence would decrease.

Black people tend to fall into a lower economic strata, and can not afford weapons for self defense... except for the gangsters who use drug money to buy guns or steal guns. I bet blacks would step up and be the first to take out gangster criminals, if they had the tools. (These criminals are not good for their neighborhoods.)

Old 05-30-2014, 12:37 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

Black people tend to fall into a lower economic strata, and can not afford weapons for self defense... except for the gangsters who use drug money to buy guns or steal guns. I bet blacks would step up and be the first to take out gangster criminals, if they had the tools. (These criminals are not good for their neighborhoods.)
Shotguns can be had pretty cheap. Good enough for a home defense weapon.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:40 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Jesus wants us to have guns.
And Isaiah wants you to melt them down and plow your fields and trim trees with them.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Many of the "gun control" laws in this country, were put in place to keep guns out of the hands of black people.

Some things don't change much among leftists.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:43 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Wow, what an ignorant statement. Even "non black" cities in this country have FAR higher gun violence than the rest of the developed world. The simple fact is that if one of these mass shooters had no access to a gun, he certainly could not have done as much damage. Kill one or two maybe with a knife, but not 10 or 20. That is the key difference between us and all of these other countries that people are just too afraid to admit here.
No, the key difference is thatwe include suicidesin our gun violence statistics while other countries generally don't. Suicides comprise about 60% of all gun deaths. Suicide is a crime so they're also factored in "gun crimes" as well. There are a few incidentals & that leaves about 35% of the remaining gun deaths being intentional shootings. Of that 35%, 80%+ are gang related. i.e. Unregistered/unlicensed firearms, used in the commission of a felony. That leaves about 2,000 gun deaths annually in a country of 300,000,000 people. Assault rifles btw account for only 0.5-1% of gun violence. If you're serious about cutting gun deaths, legalize assisted suicide & you'd cut 60% instantly. I suspect cutting gun deaths is not your real agenda though. Also target inner-city gangs & gang members so you can cut another 35% of gun deaths. Instead, what you want to do is target the 5% that isn't the problem & it's counter-intellectual.

The idea that the shooter couldn't have committed mass murder without a gun is nonsense. Why wouldn't the killer just buy some chains, padlocks, matches & a can of gas? Easy enough to burn everyone to death if so inclined. Also there have been several stabbing sprees in the past 12 months where dozens were injured/killed, not one of two.

Shooting sprees are highly emotional, like airliner crashes. When a 747 crashes it seems so horrible because hundreds of people die at once & the media covers it non-stop. Intellectually though, we know that far more people die in small engine airplane crashes or in car crashes in route to the airport, so we don't ban commercial flights. Same thing with guns. Intellectually it makes no sense to ban legal gun owners from their basic rights, expressly protected by the Constitution when the vast majority of the problem (suicides & gangs) goes unmentioned.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
The simple fact is that if one of these mass shooters had no access to a gun, he certainly could not have done as much damage. Kill one or two maybe with a knife, but not 10 or 20.
Why? Will the knife run out of blades or something?

Among all the silly things said by the gun-haters in this thread, this is one of the more peculiar ones.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I have maintained from the start, that if all law-abiding adults were allowed to carry weapons, still most of them wouldn't bother.

But crime rates would go way down anyway. Because although the criminals know that most people still aren't carrying, they know that a few in the crowd probably are. Especially in the high-crime area where the criminal hangs out. And so he's less likely to take a fatal chance of mugging or assaulting someone.

I make no exception for anyone due to skin color or whatever. ALL law-abiding adults should be allowed to carry guns. Even if they choose not to, that's up to them.

BTW, many of the "gun control" laws in the country, were put in place to keep guns out of the hands of black people.

Some things don't change much among leftists.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:

Nonsense. If poor Black people can find money for a new X-Box, rims or $150 tennis shoes, they could afford a legally purchased hand gun & many do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies