Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One way Philadelphia is dealing with transgender people is by providing single/"family"/non-gender specific restrooms.

Believe it or not some men and women are "pee-shy" and can't go in a public restroom, this is a boon for them too.

You go to one of these restrooms, lock the door, you're all alone.

City Hall and municipal buildings have them. Most buildings on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania (where I work) and Drexel University (where my gym is) have them. No, men cannot use the Ladies Room.
Yeah, I myself am a strong supporter of having a gender-neutral option for restrooms/bathrooms as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
But, what about equality?
It is equal.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:06 PM

778 posts, read 823,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Those transgenders are pretty slick. I don't know how they were able to tie there cause to the gays, but it's apples and oranges. I can get behind equal everything for gsy people, especially if they are born that way. But some outcast that decides his dad didn't give him enough attention so now he's going to wear high heels and lipstick? Well, want to act like a freak, don't be surprised when you're treated like a freak.
Thanks, I think we're a pretty slick bunch, too.

As for the rest of this nonsense, though, you might want to educate yourself a little further on trans people so you can form a better educated opinion, because everything else you've just said is complete bull (aside from being threatening and yes, transphobic).

Trans people want to be able to use the restroom of their identified gender (trans women in the women's restroom, trans men in the men's restroom, and the additional option of a private/gender-neutral/family restroom is great for anyone be they cis, trans, or something else), and they want to be able to do it without being hassled.

Everyone cries about rapists sneaking into women's restrooms, but here's the thing. Actually, here's a few things:

1. Rapists who want to do this are already doing it

2. Women who are allowed in women's restrooms are also perfectly capable of assaulting other women (also true of men in men's restrooms)

3. Being assaulted in a restroom is, as far as I can tell, a pretty uncommon thing

4. Places or institutions who have passed "bathroom bills" say they've had no complaints about these things

5. Anyone leering or making efforts to attack a person in a restroom can still be removed, regardless of sex, gender, or anything else

So in short, all this flailing over imaginary rapists is just that: hang-wringing over nothing. So what's the real issue here?

Are people who do this just unhappy trans people exist? Because we do. Not to sound all scary, but we're everywhere.

Do these people not want to use the same restroom as a trans person? Because regardless of any bill, when we're in public, sometimes we have to go just like everyone else. I'm not going to hold it because the dude in the stall next to me might be horrified to know the person in the locked stall next to his is trans.

I think it's got more to do with people's heavy reliance on binary assumptions--sex and gender in this case--and their absolute unwillingness to admit things aren't as black and white as they believe.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
These people have SERIOUS mental disorders.

Another case of "good is bad and bad is good" thinking.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Another case of "good is bad and bad is good" thinking.
Or, this is my opinion. And everyone has one.

[]

Old 05-30-2014, 01:07 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
One more victory for the freak show..... and in Texas of all places.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
One more victory for the freak show..... and in Texas of all places.
Sad for Texas. How in the world did Houston get a mayor like that? I know the city is full of economic refugees from all over, but good night!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I run people off the road? What the hell are you talking about?
Sounds like you're flapping your gums just to hear yourself talk.
Easy now, so us this tolerance you've been preaching.
Bad example, hypocrite.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:44 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Random creeps are a fact of women's lives, in or out of restrooms. I don't think a transgendered person who just wants to be female is into, for instance, public groping or flashing.
A person that seriously wants to change its gender more than likely has mental issues.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Sounds like a perverts charter to me, and I am sure lots of toilet seat sniffers will be delighted by this news.

Last edited by Bamford; 05-30-2014 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies