Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:13 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So...just exactly what did she do that makes here an expert on economics or politics?
I missed it...did she claim to be an expert during the interview?

99.9% of the people who post here are nowhere near experts on anything they post.

That doesn't stop them from having opinions, and it shouldn't.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even poets.

I mean, if you want to take that attitude, I want to see the advanced degrees of anyone who posts on a particular subject. If they have none, their opinion is worthless.

There is even one poster who, in her own words, "'barley' made it through high school". Yet she has the nerve to post her opinions here?

SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Damn, I wonder how you feel about many European economic policies. Some of the most "vulnerable" are the young and the poor in those countries. And European "youth" unemployment ages 18-25 are much higher than the USA.
Only in the distressed southern European countries which entered the Euro with way too high of exchange rates. In countries like France the work place participation rate is actually higher than in the US. Even the Youth employment rate is about comparable.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,356,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This is the craziness of America. They put more credence in a poet commenting on economics than people who actually have an education in that field and work in it as their job. People are just too dumb to believe.
But wouldn't economists Paul Krugman and Joseph Stiglitz bascially agree with where Maya Angelou was coming from?

Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

99.9% of the people who post here are nowhere near experts on anything they post.

I mean, if you want to take that attitude, I want to see the advanced degrees of anyone who posts on a particular subject. If they have none, their opinion is worthless.

There is even one poster who, in her own words, "'barley' made it through high school". Yet she has the nerve to post her opinions here?

SMH
The point is that why post an opinion of a poet on economics? I don't think I have ever linked a Milton Friedman critique of Angelou's poetry.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:32 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
But wouldn't economists Paul Krugman and Joseph Stiglitz bascially agree with where Maya Angelou was coming from?
Why not quote them?

Old 05-30-2014, 11:34 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yet it was his administration that began a generation-long regression in our society's consideration for those most vulnerable. Society is judged by how it treats its most vulnerable members, and right when it started Angelou noted how Reagan betrayed his moderate projection and undercut our nation's moral stature by initiating decades of economic injustice.
What a bunch of progressive nonsense. Poverty went up under Carter, just as it is under Obama.

When Reagan left office his approval rating was over 70%. This means as a whole (poor, middle and upper classes), the country was pretty happy with him

Would you say Obama has helped the most vulnerable? Black unemployment was at the lowest under GW Bush, and now under Obama it's hovering back where it was under Carter.

Since Obama made that speech, he has served almost four years in the White House, and African-Americans’ median wealth has crashed, their wages have flat lined, their unemployment has spiked, and their political power has waned.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/04/un...nfluence-down/

Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 AM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:

SMH
So...are you saying she has no particular skills or knowledge about the topic? Again, why should I or anyone else listen to her? It's no different than any Hollywood actor spouting off on a topic they know nothing about. If I want to learn to pretend to be someone else, I'll listen to an actor. If I want to know about economics, I'll listen to a economist, or maybe a CPA or CFO. Just wondering why the OP would bother to quote her.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The point is that why post an opinion of a poet on economics? I don't think I have ever linked a Milton Friedman critique of Angelou's poetry.
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because she just passed away and people might want to display her range of interests, her works, etc. for discussion.

jeebus

Old 05-30-2014, 12:03 PM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because she just passed away and people might want to display her range of interests, her works, etc. for discussion.

jeebus
Or not. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Doesn't mean they need to be shown in public.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So...are you saying she has no particular skills or knowledge about the topic? Again, why should I or anyone else listen to her? It's no different than any Hollywood actor spouting off on a topic they know nothing about. If I want to learn to pretend to be someone else, I'll listen to an actor. If I want to know about economics, I'll listen to a economist, or maybe a CPA or CFO. Just wondering why the OP would bother to quote her.
Starting now, whenever someone says something definitive about a topic, I'm going to demand they show me their Masters or PhD, proving that they are experts in the topic.

Furthermore, YOU don't have to listen to her! Who is forcing you to listen to her? Did someone take over your computer and force you to click on the video? Are you so weak-minded as to have no sense of discrimination in what you read or listen to?

If it is so horrendous to you that a poet has opinions on economics and politics, why do you waste your time posting? There seems to be only one reason...an opportunity to bash someone you don't like.

That's all.

No other reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies