Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas does have homestead.
Ag Exempt as well.
And over 65 too.
I know here in Michigan I get all of my property tax money back on the land our home is on.

Not on the 600 acres of hunting land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How long have you lived in Oklahoma?
I've practically lived in Oklahoma all my adult life. I did spend about 6 months in Washington state, a year in Florida, and half a year in Georgia. But I never worked anywhere but the state of Oklahoma.

I have also never made more than $12,000 in any year in my entire life. And for several years I only made around $4000 a year. I worked as a contractor delivering telephone books for AT&T through a company called Directory distribution associates(DDA).

The house I live in cost me $8k to buy(through HUD), but if I finished fixing it up, its market value is about $55k.

Before homestead exemptions, the property tax on this house is about $640 a year.

According to this website, $12,000 a year in Oklahoma taxes is $85.50. But I know for a fact I never actually paid any tax whatsoever, at least not in relation to a combination of Federal and State taxes. I assume it has something to do with the "Earned income tax credit"? I don't know what kinds of other credits Oklahoma provides to shave off tax liabilities. My sister usually does my taxes for me(she went to school for accounting and she does everyone's taxes).

Oklahoma Income Tax Brackets 2014

According to the below website, the average tax per home value in Oklahoma county is ~1% a year. For Travis county it is 1.94% a year.

Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com

If we were to transplant my income and house to Travis county. I would go from paying maybe $85 a year in income tax(which I'm pretty sure I don't do anyway because of other exemptions), and $450 a year in property taxes. To paying $0 a year in income tax to about $1,000 a year in property taxes.

Thus comes my point. States with income taxes are usually better for people with low incomes. Which is why you'll never hear people with little to no income complaining income taxes.

With that said, I do hate our tax system. I would rather a tax system which was more a flat percentage tax on incomes. Which is the problem I have with property taxes. If you are rich, you don't have to live in a nice house. And the price of real estate doesn't vary nearly as much as incomes. Furthermore, some people have small incomes but a lot of property(IE farmers).

Which is why I will say again, property taxes are the most idiotic, unfair, and regressive tax in the country. Their only apparent virtue is to force people to work or utilize the land, otherwise they will be homeless.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I've practically lived in Oklahoma all my adult life. I did spend about 6 months in Washington state, a year in Florida, and half a year in Georgia. But I never worked anywhere but the state of Oklahoma.

I have also never made more than $12,000 in any year in my entire life. And for several years I only made around $4000 a year. I worked as a contractor delivering telephone books for AT&T through a company called Directory distribution associates(DDA).

The house I live in cost me $8k to buy(through HUD), but if I finished fixing it up, its market value is about $55k.

Before homestead exemptions, the property tax on this house is about $640 a year.

That is called making it, with whatcha got.

My families food and fuel bill alone, is over $1000 a month

I don't think there is a property in the Austin city limits, that you will pay $1000 in property taxes as a new purchaser.
You won't find anything for less than $155,000. 65 and over, are fixed at time of purchase, or the amount at the age you turn 65.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
North Carolina taxes are terrible. Now that there is a Republican-controlled Congress/Governorship, the State is slowly but surely correcting the decades of decadence by corrupt state Democrats.
Like raising and expanding sales taxes?
Thanks.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
That is called making it, with whatcha got.

My families food and fuel bill alone, is over $1000 a month

I don't think there is a property in the Austin city limits, that you will pay $1000 in property taxes as a new purchaser.
You won't find anything for less than $155,000. 65 and over, are fixed at time of purchase, or the amount at the age you turn 65.

You are missing my point. I'm saying, the average home in Travis county is taxed $4,080 a year. The average home in Oklahoma City is taxed $1,214 a year. That is a difference of $2,866 a year.

The highest income tax bracket in Oklahoma is 5.25%. In order to pay more than $2,866 in Oklahoma income taxes, you would need to have an income greater than $65,000 a year and to have no dependents.

You could argue that Travis county provides more services, such as mass transit(which Oklahoma City severely lacks). And for that matter, bike lanes, and sidewalks. But, if we are talking about pure cost of living differences. People making less than $30k a year will most certainly end up with more money living in Oklahoma City than living in Austin. There is no reason to even argue about it.

Austin is only relevant, because it is the home to one of the largest "State" universities in the United States. And is the capital of the second most-populated state in the country. It is full of almost every single hippie who so happened to be born within the boundaries of the state of Texas(and many who weren't). Who for whatever reason refused to just move to San Francisco or New York(probably because they couldn't afford it). And who have some dream of turning Texas "blue".

I don't even know why you live there. Nor do I understand why you claim to be from the Cherokee Nation.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
You are missing my point. I'm saying, the average home in Travis county is taxed $4,080 a year. The average home in Oklahoma City is taxed $1,214 a year. That is a difference of $2,866 a year.

The highest income tax bracket in Oklahoma is 5.25%. In order to pay more than $2,866 in Oklahoma income taxes, you would need to have an income greater than $65,000 a year and to have no dependents.

You could argue that Travis county provides more services, such as mass transit(which Oklahoma City severely lacks). And for that matter, bike lanes, and sidewalks. But, if we are talking about pure cost of living differences. People making less than $30k a year will most certainly end up with more money living in Oklahoma City than living in Austin. There is no reason to even argue about it.

Austin is only relevant, because it is the home to one of the largest "State" universities in the United States. And is the capital of the second most-populated state in the country. It is full of almost every single hippie who so happened to be born within the boundaries of the state of Texas(and many who weren't). Who for whatever reason refused to just move to San Francisco or New York(probably because they couldn't afford it). And who have some dream of turning Texas "blue".

I don't even know why you live there. Nor do I understand why you claim to be from the Cherokee Nation.

Even being single, living in Tescott Kansas, I could not make it on $1000 a month.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Even being single, living in Tescott Kansas, I could not make it on $1000 a month.
Well, you are in a significantly different familial situation than I am. I am a single person in a 1,100 sqft house that I share with my sister, her boyfriend, and her son. I don't "need" to make a lot of money.

With that said, you have to understand that my point-of-view is different than yours anyway. My major complaint has always been lobbed at anything that I would consider a "living expense". I don't consider the income tax to necessarily be a living expense, since hypothetically you could live without paying a single dime in to any income tax.

Living expenses are those things which are absolutely necessary just to live. These include, food, shelter, transportation, utilities, and then just misc expenses(IE clothing, toiletries, etc).

The problem I have with the property tax is that it is a living expense. It is a living expense which isn't necessary, and which has an impact which is more felt by those who are least advantaged.

The income tax is not a living expense, and it tends to be more felt by those who are more advantaged.

I see no point in defending a horribly unfair property tax and attacking the at least more fair income tax. I don't understand why you would either?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I know here in Michigan I get all of my property tax money back on the land our home is on.

Not on the 600 acres of hunting land.
Please explain how you get all of your property tax money back on your home. The state documentation I see says there are a lot of requirements that have to be met:
  • Your homestead is in Michigan
  • You were a resident of Michigan for at least six months during the year.
  • You own or are contracted to pay rent and occupy a Michigan homestead on which property taxes were levied
  • If you own your home, your taxable value is $135,000 or less
  • Your total household resources are $50,000 or less
  • (Part
year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if a credit reduction applies)

Taxes - Homestead Property Tax Credit

Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Thus comes my point. States with income taxes are usually better for people with low incomes. Which is why you'll never hear people with little to no income complaining income taxes.
Generally people complain about a tax they pay more than a tax they don't pay.

Quote:
Which is why I will say again, property taxes are the most idiotic, unfair, and regressive tax in the country. Their only apparent virtue is to force people to work or utilize the land, otherwise they will be homeless.
I absolutely agree; for the poor property tax strips away the security of homeownership and greatly retards living standards for subsequent generations, not to mention the quasi-criminal act of forcing people out of their homes for obligations they did not consent to, especially when far less invasive ways of raising revenue are readily available. It's high time we realized that "a man's home is his castle" precludes the state using tax obligations as a pretext for seizing one's home. Owning a home free and clear should be just that, an absolute guarantee of ownership that provides true security for one and one's family, not a state where your "ownership" is conditional on paying money to the government, which in effect amounts to renting your home from the state.

Property tax is the only major tax that is not based on ability to pay; a 10% tax on income can obviously be paid by the person making that income, a 10% sales tax can obviously be paid by the person buying the product, but a tax on property value is not so obviously payable by the property owner without being forcing him to sell and thereby lose his home.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Generally people complain about a tax they pay more than a tax they don't pay.

I absolutely agree; for the poor property tax strips away the security of homeownership and greatly retards living standards for subsequent generations, not to mention the quasi-criminal act of forcing people out of their homes for obligations they did not consent to, especially when far less invasive ways of raising revenue are readily available. It's high time we realized that "a man's home is his castle" precludes the state using tax obligations as a pretext for seizing one's home. Owning a home free and clear should be just that, an absolute guarantee of ownership that provides true security for one and one's family, not a state where your "ownership" is conditional on paying money to the government, which in effect amounts to renting your home from the state.

Property tax is the only major tax that is not based on ability to pay; a 10% tax on income can obviously be paid by the person making that income, a 10% sales tax can obviously be paid by the person buying the product, but a tax on property value is not so obviously payable by the property owner without being forcing him to sell and thereby lose his home.

??? Poor people don't buy homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies