Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times

Advertisements

My kid would eat it.

The other day at the restaurant, a waitress walking by said she had never seen a 2 year old eating a salad before.

A kid's diet does not have to be comprised of crap, but that is all they get in some homes bc that is what their parents eat.

Parents need to lead by example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:54 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,774,183 times
The point is, the kids are trashing this food (waste, I guess, is okay) because they don't like it. Also, it's not high enough in carbs for most active teens--just ask those involved in sports, many of whom are back to brown-bagging it. At least they're doing that where the food Nazis aren't searching their lunches looking for contraband such as that dreaded candy bar or peanut butter sandwich.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:55 AM

45,400 posts, read 26,992,566 times
They are not eating this stuff in DC. I went to DC public schools back in the 80s. I just can't see that food being consumed by 30% of the students. The kids that would eat this are probably in the private or charter schools.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
It's not the menu that matters, it's the execution. A top-level chef could make any of those dishes delicious. I doubt the average cafeteria worker has the means or ability to craft delicious food for students. When the food is not good, it won't be eaten.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:58 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's not the menu that matters, it's the execution. A top-level chef could make any of those dishes delicious. I doubt the average cafeteria worker has the means or ability to craft delicious food for students. When the food is not good, it won't be eaten.
They eat stale, mushy tater tots.
They eat slimy pizza and soggy corn dogs.

Execution is not the problem.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,293,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The point is, the kids are trashing this food (waste, I guess, is okay) because they don't like it. Also, it's not high enough in carbs for most active teens--just ask those involved in sports, many of whom are back to brown-bagging it. At least they're doing that where the food Nazis aren't searching their lunches looking for contraband such as that dreaded candy bar or peanut butter sandwich.
They don't like it because they weren't taught to like it at home.
If you have a problem with it, what's stopping you from packing your kid's lunch? Fill it up with all the crap you want.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 AM

13,290 posts, read 7,843,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
My 6 year old niece would eat this. It's basically what my sister feeds her at home. I think it's a great menu.
Why not let's we just call it "skimmed" milk.

Or, "White Water".

Them kids are starving for CLAs.

There are too many fat kids running (not) around.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:25 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I used too have to get two lunches and that was back in the early 80's when they had a lot of food on the tray. I have this relative that is about 13 but 6 foot, 180lbs and in sports. He was complaining about the meals, said they gave him like 5 tater tots which was a mouthful for him.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 AM

734 posts, read 1,078,913 times
Maybe they should have options. We always had more than one option when I was going to school. We would have chicken or some kind of sandwich or pizza to choose from, then the veggies or fries and fruit. That menu, ugh. The only thing I like is the ziti, the cabbage and maybe the sloppy joe. Squash? Carrots, hell to the nah. Why not have corn on the menu? Everyone loves corn.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:29 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post

There are too many fat kids running (not) around.
Bingo, when I was in elementary school the typical lunch was packed with junk. The school would probably call the cops on you now for child abuse with the lunches we used to get. You'd have the obligatory ham sandwich, bag of chips, cup cakes, soda and my favorite part a little hard candy. There was perhaps 2 or 3 kids that were slightly obese and one of them had a medical problem. The difference with us was once school was out it was off on the bike or playing sports until dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies