Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
In my opinion... gas prices are too low.

$50 in my compact car lasts 400 miles. Gas prices should be $1 / gallon higher. The additional revenue should go towards upgrading rail, public transit, bicycle infrastructure, and fixing our existing bridges and roads.
Not just NO, but F NO. Rail, public transit and bicyclists should be willing to pay to support their own transportation needs, just like auto drivers. They should not be welfare recipients carried on the backs of drivers. Increase transit rates till they can pay for themselves (and expansion of the system in time) and charge a registration fee and excise tax on bikes (like we do on guns, ammo and fishing equipment) to pay for bike trails. People should be willing to pay to use their toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This will no longer work with today's newer diesels without major expenses. The problem is also if a lot of people bought an old diesel there is only so much used fryer oil.

All the same I got almost 45 mpg with my diesel this weekend. The guy up the street does have a Tesla Roadster that he has set up to run 100% on solar but he is an engineer that installs solar systems. Not easy for just anyone.
Yes, it certainly IS easy! As I stated, all it takes is money. LOTS of money!
Instead of the government subsidizing money losing mass transit that many people can not use (I'm one of them) let the users pay, and give grants to average working (or retired) people so they can get fuel efficient or no fuel vehicles.
I will gladly accept and drive a subsidized VW Passat diesel or a Tesla, but I will never be able to afford to buy one.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not just NO, but F NO. Rail, public transit and bicyclists should be willing to pay to support their own transportation needs, just like auto drivers. They should not be welfare recipients carried on the backs of drivers. Increase transit rates till they can pay for themselves (and expansion of the system in time) and charge a registration fee and excise tax on bikes (like we do on guns, ammo and fishing equipment) to pay for bike trails. People should be willing to pay to use their toys.
They already do.

Why would we increase transit rates when drivers already don't pay for their own services? Drivers pay $.50 for every dollar of user fees, Amtrak users paid $.88 for every dollar. How embarrassing that rail is more efficient than auto?

Why would they have an excise tax on bikes? Bikes are already taxed (sales tax). Bikes are net positive contributors to society. Bike infrastructure is incredibly cheap, and cyclists contribute lower health care costs, lower emissions, higher worker productivity (less missed days at work), and more parking spaces for cars. Furthermore, most cyclists own cars.

By the way... even if I never drive my car again.. I'm subsidizing YOUR car clown habit through income taxes. Cry me a river

Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yes, it certainly IS easy! As I stated, all it takes is money. LOTS of money!
Instead of the government subsidizing money losing mass transit that many people can not use (I'm one of them) let the users pay, and give grants to average working (or retired) people so they can get fuel efficient or no fuel vehicles.
I will gladly accept and drive a subsidized VW Passat diesel or a Tesla, but I will never be able to afford to buy one.
Please explain why the government would subsidize more drivers on the road?

Cars are a net drain on society due to emissions, road damage, and health care costs.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
absolutely right!!

Quote:
They already do.

Why would we increase transit rates when drivers already don't pay for their own services? Drivers pay $.50 / $1 of user fees, Amtrak users paid $.88 for every dollar. How embarrassing that rail is more efficient than auto?

Why would they have an excise tax on bikes? Bikes are net positive contributors to society. Bike infrastructure is incredibly cheap, and cyclists contribute lower health care costs, lower emissions, and more parking spaces for cars. Furthermore, most cyclists own cars.

By the way... even if I never drive my car again.. I'm subsidizing YOUR car clown habit through income taxes. Cry me a river
the problem is that no one pays the whole freight for their toys though. as you noted everyone is in some way subsidizing transportation, and that is part of the reason government has trouble making their budgets. and it is also part of the reason our taxes are so high as well. how about we stop the madness, and make everyone pay the full freight, and stop with government subsidies. then we can cut taxes in a variety of areas, and actually bring in more revenues, which could then allow further tax cuts once teh debt is paid down to a manageable level.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
absolutely right!!
Absolutely wrong. Bikes are taxed at the sale, and contribute nothing to road damage. They actually help road costs, due to less vehicles on the road, less emissions, and fewer sick Americans.

Quote:
the problem is that no one pays the whole freight for their toys though. as you noted everyone is in some way subsidizing transportation, and that is part of the reason government has trouble making their budgets. and it is also part of the reason our taxes are so high as well. how about we stop the madness, and make everyone pay the full freight, and stop with government subsidies. then we can cut taxes in a variety of areas, and actually bring in more revenues, which could then allow further tax cuts once teh debt is paid down to a manageable level.
I'm all for subsidizing trucks that deliver our food. Personal vehicles? Nope.

Cutting taxes does not bring in more revenues (basic arithmetic). It has failed for thirty years. Let's chalk it up as a loss and keep it moving.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 AM

53 posts, read 131,559 times
Quote:
perhaps we need to raise the price of gas in the US to what is paid by europeans, on average $6 per gallon. and not for long just a couple of months or so, then bring the price back down to teach some people a lesson that we really do have it pretty good here gas price wise.

its not going to go back to the 80s price wise ever again. get over it.
Who cares what the Europeans are paying ! , They don't have enough so they have to pay more , they don't have enough corn , so they pay more for bread . Should we be paying $5.00 a loaf for bread too: Government send millions in aid to the European country and others to help feed their people . When was the last time a foreign country sent food or aid to any us people ? To use that as an excuse for higher gas prices is just plain #^#@^&% t. always has been and always will be that way until we find a way to control our own Government.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 3 View Post
Who cares what the Europeans are paying ! , They don't have enough so they have to pay more , they don't have enough corn , so they pay more for bread . Should we be paying $5.00 a loaf for bread too: Government send millions in aid to the European country and others to help feed their people . When was the last time a foreign country sent food or aid to any us people ? To use that as an excuse for higher gas prices is just plain #^#@^&% t. always has been and always will be that way until we find a way to control our own Government.
Why should our government subsidize the car clown habit?

Please elaborate. Every car we put on the road is more emissions and one less healthy person. Every dollar we cut from vehicle usage expenses just encourages this habit. From a financial standpoint, I see no logical reason why the government should subsidize an activity that burdens society's fiscal health.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Why should our government subsidize the car clown habit?

Please elaborate. Every car we put on the road is more emissions and one less healthy person. Every dollar we cut from vehicle usage expenses just encourages this habit. From a financial standpoint, I see no logical reason why the government should subsidize an activity that burdens society's fiscal health.
Is it your belief that if we quit subsidizing welfare it will end?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Absolutely wrong. Bikes are taxed at the sale, and contribute nothing to road damage. They actually help road costs, due to less vehicles on the road, less emissions, and fewer sick Americans.
it costs money to lay down the bike paths, be it the needed funds to properly widen the existing roads and paint the lines to indicate bike paths, or just paint the lines, or even build new paths, and sorry but the sales tax paid on a bike at the time of purchase does not cover the cost of the bike paths. as for fewer vehicles on the roads, rubbish, a bike IS a vehicle, and thus there would be MORE vehicles on the road.

Quote:
I'm all for subsidizing trucks that deliver our food. Personal vehicles? Nope.
i am not. the people need to pay the full freight, not a portion of the freight. its silly to tax the people to death, only to subsidize the means for people to support themselves.

Quote:
Cutting taxes does not bring in more revenues (basic arithmetic). It has failed for thirty years. Let's chalk it up as a loss and keep it moving.
stop trying to make the economy a static economy, it is not. the economy is dynamic, and math101 is not going to work. you need an econ101 course. when reagan CUT taxes in the 80s, revenues ot the government went up, not down. when bush CUT taxes in 2001 and 2003 revenues to the government went UP not down. why? because the tax cuts spurred economic growth, and that growth is where the tax revenue came from. people invested more money, and made more money, and thus paid more taxes, even though their tax rate was lower. try learning something about economics instead of just math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies