Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 10:00 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en

one road main road

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
So now "old fashioned" (read "traditional") is illegal? Wow, what kind of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" brave new world are we becoming. The child's age was not revealed. If he were a high-school aged teen I agree, let him walk. If he was young I still would have made him walk, albeit I might have followed/paced him in my car. Until he was willing to open up. But still, I would NOT have charged Dad for disciplining son. Now son, (and other children taking note), know they can push the limit and the courts will intercede and take up their cause. No, we are instead supposed to plead and grovel to our children when they misbehave and threaten to take away their I-Phone or X-Box. And by the way judge, if there is such a problem with molesters/perverts maybe you need to come down harder on them.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:25 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
So now "old fashioned" (read "traditional") is illegal? Wow, what kind of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" brave new world are we becoming. The child's age was not revealed. If he were a high-school aged teen I agree, let him walk. If he was young I still would have made him walk, albeit I might have followed/paced him in my car. Until he was willing to open up. But still, I would NOT have charged Dad for disciplining son. Now son, (and other children taking note), know they can push the limit and the courts will intercede and take up their cause. No, we are instead supposed to plead and grovel to our children when they misbehave and threaten to take away their I-Phone or X-Box. And by the way judge, if there is such a problem with molesters/perverts maybe you need to come down harder on them.
it wasn't the old fashioned...let him walk home, that was child endangerment. it was where the dad let the kid walk..... on the highway. the kid was 8, mentioned before numerous times. read a page or two.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
The boy is a second-grader, and the father left him on the side of a highway to walk home and then drove away. He was unaware that his son had been picked up by another driver. The prosecutor brought charges, the father pleaded no contest (apparently under the advisement of his attorney), and the judge sentenced him to probation, but everyone's infuriated with the judge? How does that make sense?

Look, I've been there. I've had plenty of infuriating moments with my children, and in one case I did tell them to get out of the car, but I did not leave the area. I drove behind them and never let them out of my sight, while everyone took advantage of the space and time to cool off. I suspect the father in this case wishes he'd done the same.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-02-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
until you have been on the highway yourself you really have no idea from a satellite picture. the highway IS the MAIN road to go ANYWHERE on the island. it maybe a two lane "quiet" rural road by mainland standards that does not mean it isn't a busy "highway" with cars averaging speeds of 60 MPH. the "shoulder" can be very narrow at times. I could careless how many people think it is ok for an 8 year old to walk along a busy hwy. I do not and neither did the judge. here is a youtube clip of the road. view anyof them and it is typical of the traffic you see anywhere along that hwy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4_ZIu3Fm4

maybe take a trip outsie your living room and get educated about the islands.

Somehow I'm not seeing this 25'-50' shoulder! I saw some places where there was virtually NO shoulder, like where they came to that turning lane.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
until you have been on the highway yourself you really have no idea from a satellite picture. the highway IS the MAIN road to go ANYWHERE on the island.
Oh, for pete's sake. Both the satellite image and the locals' description characterize the area as rural. Not much traffic. Plenty of pedestrians and bicycle riders along the very wide grassy shoulders.

The responses to the Hawaiian newspaper article really say it all. They see it the same way I do. Too many of you are histrionically overreacting.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
one road main road
Rural area, as described in the Hawaiian newspaper. Not much traffic:

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.2062...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Now son, (and other children taking note), know they can push the limit and the courts will intercede and take up their cause. No, we are instead supposed to plead and grovel to our children when they misbehave
Exactly. And that's why commenters to the Hawaiian newspaper article were outraged. What the judge did in this case has empowered children to do exactly as they please, with no untoward consequence for such. The judge taught Hawaiian kids that the state will intervene when kids dislike being expected to behave well.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
it wasn't the old fashioned...let him walk home, that was child endangerment. it was where the dad let the kid walk..... on the highway.
That's a LIE!

The child was expected to walk on the very wide mowed grass shoulder of a sparsely traveled roadway. A shoulder on which others frequently walked or rode their bikes, according to the Hawaiian newspaper article. I've already posted the satellite image. This rural area are is definitely NOT congested with traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.2062...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

For pete's sake, cut the BS histrionics.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. And that's why commenters to the Hawaiian newspaper article were outraged. What the judge did in this case has empowered children to do exactly as they please, with no untoward consequence for such. The judge taught Hawaiian kids that the state will intervene when kids dislike being expected to behave well.
Please. The typical eight-year-old has no idea that this even happened, so they are very unlikely to see it as license to do whatever they want. That type of belligerent behavior is still at least two years off, probably more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies