Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Now you are generalizing a stereotype.
I don't think so. To blame religion for the many unintended children in this country is wrong. After all if the so-called religious folk followed the religion they wouldn't be having sex out of wedlock. That said. I believe some hicks might use religion as their excuse for having kids they can't afford, but religion isn't the cause. Ignorance and stupidity is the cause.
The inner city problem. Religion isn't the cause for that either. The cause is ignorance and stupidity.
Short term thinking resulting in an unwanted pregnancy. It really is the same no matter where the parent came from. I believe accidents happen. Just not 3 or 4 times to the same person.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Q: Why in USA is there so much wealth inequality between rich and poor these days?

A: The demise of organized labor.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
And obviously this can be fixed very simply by redistributing the wealth from rich to poor by raising taxes on the wealthiest tax brackets or adding a new highest tax bracket and redistributing it to like poorer people.

By definition, this will equalize the distribution of wealth in USA

Also because of inflation over the last few decades and state taxes, the poor pay too much taxes and the rich are paying highest tax bracket which in today's dollars, is no longer a high tax bracket ....and stuff

This is why the wealth inequality. Rich are paying too little in taxes and poor are paying too much

Otherwise wealth would be more fair like 50% of the wealth is in more like 50% of Americans....that's the ideal...each person being truly truly equal
You seriously believe that?

I am utterly speechless.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
wealth inequality is a condition of sin.
money itself is a condition of sin.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
There isn't. The media just wants you to believe things have changed.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:48 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
There has always been some sort of income inequality in every society going down the years. Both the French and Russian revolutions (among others) were launched in no small part because of such things as are many of the coups and protests you see today.

Truth be told the last great heyday of American middle class was the post war era until around the 1970's. Ever since the working and middle classes in the United States have slowly been losing ground and dealing with a decline in economic power. Many were able to paper over his loss with debt (credit cards, mortgages they couldn't afford, etc....) but now with stricter standards that is becoming harder to pull off.

What is driving this latest round of economic "inequality" is to a large measure technology, especially and or including the rise of the Internet. More and more companies, businesses or whatever are increasing productivity by eliminating large numbers of positions including lower to even high management. Everyone is "Sigma Six" or "Going Lean" in terms of streamlining their operations.

Another cause is the changing nature of how wealth is created in the United States. Much like the old song "Money for nothing....", today vast fortunes are made either from ideas, moving bits of paper around, hedging bets, and so forth most of which again involves technology. Dr. Dre is the latest example of this; Apple is paying the man three *billion* dollars for an "app". In short fortunes that once took lifetimes to be created are now made in less than five years and are often just as or more vast than anything the robber barons of old could ever dream about.

Previously persons like Ford, Carnegie, Frick, and so forth made their money from tangible assets (land, minerals, petrol, etc..) and ideas that became goods and or products (Armour, Maytag, etc...).

What began as "Dot.com" millionaires in the 1990's has become "billionaires" in the 2000's.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:13 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,485 times
Inequality in itself is not inherently bad per se. What we should be looking at is the average person's standard of living.

For example lets say Bob owns a 4 bed house in a major metro area like Portland/Seattle and Bob makes six figures and in due time, Bob will have enough to be able to enjoy a vacation now and then and be able to retire comfortably. Then you compare Bob to an individual who owns his own island, which is big enough to almost qualify as a country, and has resort amenities, and can buy of a Ferrari dealership outright, than the gap between Bob and the other dude is huge. But Bob's standard of living is still pretty good.

But let's take Bill, who lives in a cramped studio apt. and lives paycheck to paycheck and working 50 -70 hours a week, and is barley making it. Then lets compare him to Bob. The gap is much smaller, but Bill's standard of living is not the greatest.

It is all about standard of living. The standard of living for the average American is getting worse. More hours, less pay, more debt, lousy retirement...etc. I could care if Bill gates has a trillion dollars, as long as I can be secure in knowing my standard of life will be good and I am not always tressed out due to working so much and my expenses going up each year while I havent had a raise in 4 years. So how do we ensure that a majority of American's can have a good standard of living? Well I think it would take a change of mindset from the president down to your local hair barber. Will it happen....that I do not know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies