Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The contract has provisions for emergency situations.
Its not a contract its a law and no it doesn't.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So how come that there are so many who claim soldiers died specifically looking for him?

Which is it?

The military didn't care because they branded him a deserter or is it between 6 to 30 soldiers died directly due to efforts by the military to free him?

Pick one........you can't have both

Sure you can. Before the DoD had finished its investigation, the Army went all out to find this guy, using massive amounts of resources, money and soldiers to do so. Even when the results came back they continued to do so for awhile.n

In later years, Special Operations teams had intel on his whereabouts multiple times according to reports but weren't willing to risk further lives to attempt a rescue of someone they were convinced was a deserter.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
He is coming home. That is the only thing that counts.
No, that's not true.

6 other soldiers are not going to ever go home because of him. In other reports as many as 14 soldiers were injured or killed in searching to get this traitor back over the years.

There lives matter as well.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:54 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
So how come that there are so many who claim soldiers died specifically looking for him?

Which is it?
Over the course of 5 years? Looked for him. Located him. Never retrieved him because he was considered by the U.S. Military to be a deserter, and not worth risking more troops to bring him back.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Prove it's not so.

The administration say's it's so.
The German Doctors say it's so.
Who are you to refute their claims?
LMAO

The Admin says it so LOL

Yeah, because we've learned when the Obama Admin says something, it MUST be true.

Sorry, but that video showed a man that was not malnourished and not close to death. This nonsense that they had to break the 30 day notice law is bs. I really cant believe there are people like you that continue to always believe what an Admin like this tells you. Despite the number of lies they've already told.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Again, HE WAS NOT A POW AND WAS NEVER CLASSIFIED AS THAT! Don't you people get tired of running in factless circles?
STOP SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!! You're hurting my ears.

I'm not talking about Bergdahl, I'm addressing those 5 Mujs and the legality of releasing them. Call them POWs, Call them Enemy combatants, call them Fred, for all I care. They were 5 Taliban Mujaheddin that were held in isolation at Gitmo for 10 years. The president has the authority to release them for all the reasons I've described.
So suck it up, bud.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:01 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Great post.
Now, do you think President Obama broke the law?
No. I don't know that the "contract" between Obama and Congress actually comprises "law", for one thing. Was there a bill, was it actually a part of US legal code? And as I understand it, the President actions were to an emergency, because the last video showed an alarming decline in Bergdahl's physical and psychological state. Emergencies are exceptions to such agreements, and even some Congressmen are acknowledging this.

But I do think it could have been handled differently. I think Obama did what he thought he had to do, in order to protect the life of an American being held captive by enemy forces. I don't think he's made a strong case to the American people about why he thought this was an emergency. And I think the American people deserve a more complete, thorough explanation.

But, nonetheless, the bottom line for me remains that an American was being held captive by our enemies, and that our military and our government have achieved his release. An American is coming home. There is a profound value in our commitment to bringing our soldiers and citizens home. Soldiers and citizens still have to answer for their actions, still have to be held accountable, but they need to defend themselves in the United States, in our court systems, with the rights and protections that being an American afford them.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I have a question. Wouldn't any American being held captive have their health at risk.
They could be killed or severely injured at any time. So why have a law stating notifying Congress,
if the health issue would apply to just about everyone and anyone held captive.
The most recent video, which has not been released to the public, according to the government shows serious deterioration of Bergdahl's physical and mental state. While any American being held captive is surely at risk to arbitrary violence, the serious decline in Bergdahl's health evidently suggested imminent and irreversible harm, which would comprise the basis for an emergency.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Deserters have been left behind in the course of every war.
A. Bergdahl hasn't been convicted of desertion, yet.

B. Bergdahl was being held prisoner by our enemy.

C. We don't knowingly leave behind Americans to the mercy of our enemies. Because we are AMERICANS. And we have principles. Sorry you don't like that aspect of being an American.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:07 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No. I don't know that the "contract" between Obama and Congress actually comprises "law", for one thing. Was there a bill, was it actually a part of US legal code? And as I understand it, the President actions were to an emergency, because the last video showed an alarming decline in Bergdahl's physical and psychological state. Emergencies are exceptions to such agreements, and even some Congressmen are acknowledging this.

But I do think it could have been handled differently. I think Obama did what he thought he had to do, in order to protect the life of an American being held captive by enemy forces. I don't think he's made a strong case to the American people about why he thought this was an emergency. And I think the American people deserve a more complete, thorough explanation.

But, nonetheless, the bottom line for me remains that an American was being held captive by our enemies, and that our military and our government have achieved his release. An American is coming home. There is a profound value in our commitment to bringing our soldiers and citizens home. Soldiers and citizens still have to answer for their actions, still have to be held accountable, but they need to defend themselves in the United States, in our court systems, with the rights and protections that being an American afford them.
Why are you so clueless? Have you thought about doing a little research before you spout such nonsense? YES it was a bill SIGNED BY OBAMA HIMSELF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies