Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your honesty.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Some poster mentioned........"conscientious objector "

That phrase went out the window with the ending of the DRAFT over 30 years ago .
exactly, how can one even use it when they volunteer

Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,934 times
The Obama legacy is now HE should be blamed for ANY American who is taken hostage and held for ransom by terrorists. Barack has declared "open season" on Americans around the world. He will bow and give them whatever they want.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Ronald Reagan Gave Iran 1,500 Missiles for Hostages.
Obama Trades Five Guys?
GOP Heads Explode.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:01 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It makes as much sense as Bush and Obama arguing they can't try American citizens before killing them.
Very true, we have really gone to the extreme since 911 and the Patriot Act.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How many do you suppose are ready or expecting to see what they see in war? My son in law got his release after watching one too many soldiers get killed while sitting next to him.

Can you tell me how you would react and do you expect each and every person to react the same way? I am not ready to say what they say he did was right, but I'm also not going to judge yet either.

Obama did once again ignore our laws. That one has been a little easier to judge.

I know how I would react because I've already deployed multiple times. People's experiences vary but you always remember the responsibility that you have to people on your right and your left. Doing stupid things like abandoning your post can have lethal consequences and in this case it did. Because of Bergdahl's stupidity, you got over a dozen dead soldiers that will never return to their families.

If you start losing a grip on things and you can't hack it while you are there, the correct response isn't to walk out on your unit. You let someone know and if you can't keep up anymore, they'll simply start processing you to be chaptered out. You'll get to go back stateside and deal with whatever issues you have there.

It's great that Bowe Bergdahl's parents will get to hug their son, there's a lot of parents who won't be able to do that because of his actions.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
To complete the quote from the CNN referenced article above:

"Some [fellow soldiers] were willing to dismiss that document in hopes that the truth would come out about a soldier who they now fear is being hailed as a hero, while the men who lost their lives looking for him are ignored."

Is signing a nondisclosure agreement commonly requested of soldiers, Former Military people? I've read many books, seen movies and observed Medal of Honor winners discussing openly rescuing fellow soldiers with no nondisclosure agreement apparent for those stories. Very weird.
Nobody should be hailing this guy as an hero, especially if people died looking for this clown.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
The truth is, Obama tries to find a way to cease fire with Taliban, like a secret peace treaty.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I know how I would react because I've already deployed multiple times. People's experiences vary but you always remember the responsibility that you have to people on your right and your left. Doing stupid things like abandoning your post can have lethal consequences and in this case it did. Because of Bergdahl's stupidity, you got over a dozen dead soldiers that will never return to their families.
From the little I've read. I admit that until recently I wasn't very aware of this situation. From what I've read he believed he went there to help the people of Afghanistan. What he saw was those on the right and left of him abusing the people of Afghanistan.

I know that when all is said and done, Iraq and Afghanistan will be in worse shape as will the world when we leave than when we arrived. In that, I can understand his position. Now, the idea that others were killed while out looking for him because it would seem he just walked out would complicate that position for me.

There are other things complicating the entire thing for me also.

Quote:
If you start losing a grip on things and you can't hack it while you are there, the correct response isn't to walk out on your unit. You let someone know and if you can't keep up anymore, they'll simply start processing you to be chaptered out. You'll get to go back stateside and deal with whatever issues you have there.
We did that to many people who had absolutely no business being there.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:55 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's pretty early in the process for us to start coming to drastic conclusions, isn't it?

Of course, if you have solid inside info the rest of us lack, please share so we can all join the chorus of criticism.
It's not about bringing a soldier home for these right wing nutjobs it's all about pinning something on this president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies