Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:49 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I do believe killing unwanted children before they are born is a significant factor in the drop in crime in the last generation. I think this program needs to be expanded to allow post birth abortions up to the first birthday. This would require the 14th Amendment be amended.
I am assuming that you are being sarcastic here, though I agree with you in regards to the problem of using arguments such as "abortion should be legal because it will result in a lower crime rate".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I didn't say it's a good argument IN ITSELF, but it is what it is.
Mathematically, the whole thing starts to break down very quickly.
Perhaps. Of course, I wonder how much of a positive impact would result in regards to this if comprehensive sex ed was implemented everywhere and if everyone had access to and reliable information about contraception.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think it's taking responsibility to not have kids you can't take care of. I will NEVER be in a position to tell someone else in this world what they can and can't handle because I don't know. Either do you.

1 abortion(the one you personally approve of for whatever reasons are ok with you) 1 million abortions(the ones those skanky ho's who should just keep their legs closed have), no difference.

People get so worked up over things that not only DO NOT effect them but can cause others great difficulty. Don't tell me you care about unborn babies, because you don't.
Using that rationale, killing unwanted infants in the event of a shortage of adoptive parents is also "responsible".

Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I would happily pay extra in taxes for women to receive injectable birth control every three months if it would help solve the problem. And before anyone chimes in that men should share the responsibility I am just talking simple biology here. I only wanted two children and that is what I had. Birth control in the year 2014 is a no brainer. The selfishness in modern society is sickening.
^

Agreed. Also, this shouldn't only apply to females--after all, males should have access to and reliable information about contraception as well.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
About 1/2 of all pregnancies in the U.S. are unplanned, and of those, about 4 in 10 are terminated.

Induced Abortion in the United States

That means that millions of additional people would be born in the U.S. each year if abortion ended in this country. What plan do you have to help feed, house, educate, employ and provide health care for those additional millions of people you want so badly to be born? So far, I haven't heard of any...
I don't have a plan for YOUR children......YOU should.

I fed, housed and educated MY children.

Terminate or keep yours. That is not my choice.....it's yours. There are no laws stopping you.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:01 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
1. Maybe people will actually take care of the kids they conceive
2. Not having abortion as an option, may hold those more accountable and cause them to be more 'careful'
3. Maybe adults who have the means to stop up are more willing to take on adopting kids.

It's just one of those things that you wouldn't know how it gets dealt with unless it actually happens. But I think it's ridiculous to assume that a child will be a burden on society as a whole if they are born versus being aborted.
^ this^…Why is it assumed that "society" will be taking care of every child who was aborted? Many very well off people use abortion as a form of birth control. Which is the problem I have with abortion. When it is used thus. They know what causes pregnancy now. The OP speaks as if there is no accountability for not taking precautions in sex. There is.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
^ this^…Why is it assumed that "society" will be taking care of every child who was aborted? Many very well off people use abortion as a form of birth control. Which is the problem I have with abortion. When it is used thus. They know what causes pregnancy now. The OP speaks as if there is no accountability for not taking precautions in sex. There is.
Can you define many for us? More than 54% of people obtaining an abortion used birth control.

However, 40% of the people obtaining an abortion are below the poverty level. A further 27% make between 100%-200% of the FPL, so 67% of the people getting an abortion are relatively poor. Additionally, abortion rates have declined among the non poor and risen among the poor. Given that birth control has a cost it stands to reason that the people utilizing BC are well off.

http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal...d_2008.14.aspx

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/US-Abortion-Patients.pdf

More than poverty: disruptive events among women having abortions in the USA -- Jones et al. 39 (1): 36 -- Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care

Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Here's the thing. Let's say, just for the sake of simplicity, that there are one million unwanted babies being born every year (should abortion be criminalized). Let's also say that there are one million infertile couples waiting to adopt. All fine and good, right? Wrong. Works out fine for the first year. What happens in year Two? Year Three? Those babies will just keep on coming, while the pool of adoptive parents will keep shrinking. They're not going to adopt a baby every year. Who wants a dozen kids?
What then? Orphanages? Institutions?
Prior to Roe vs Wade (and the equivalent in other countries) abortion was considered taboo in every civilized society on earth for the entirety of human history. Human civilization functioned perfectly well without our modern day mass-extermination of unborn babies. The USA's peak era of greatness from 1945 to 1965 all happened in an era where infanticide/abortion was still a criminal act.

The difference is that today's society is quite possibly the most selfish in human history. Abortion could not possible be so commonplace without our society of rampant selfishness. But I'd still be willing to wager that if you put the challenge to religions highly opposed to abortion, they'd step up and take that challenge. Thing is, nobody is offering them the opportunity. Human beings are amazing. We tend to come up with brilliant solutions to problems that naysayers tout as impossible.

Would I personally adopt a new baby every one to two years. Yes. How many times? I think I'd have to call it quits at 14 kids (including the ones my wife has herself). But we would have to pay ridiculous sums of money to have that opportunity and we would constantly live in fear that a birth mother/parent would successfully take their kid back years after we adopted them. Adoptive parents in America have to deal with the most ridiculous nonsense and that leads many prospective adopters balk.

That piece of the problem is huge: We live in a society where adoptive parents are essentially being punished for adopting. That would need to change.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Prior to Roe vs Wade (and the equivalent in other countries) abortion was considered taboo in every civilized society on earth for the entirety of human history.
Source(s)?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Source(s)?
I don't think that what he is saying is accurate.

After all, wasn't abortion legal up to quickening in some/many areas until the 1800s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies