Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
200% of the federal poverty leve is $41,300, the figure I quoted.
I'm aware of that. What you are apparently still unaware of are the words LESS THAN. As in $0 is LESS THAN $41,300.

Quote:
Bush is killing nothing.. the SCHIP (State program FUNDED by the federal government) program continues to run because they create temporary funding for it.
There is no temporary funding for S-CHIP. Congress will be in session on Monday. Adjournment looms.

Quote:
If it truly has bi-partisan support, then over ride the veto... whats the problem?
Senate Vote: 67-29 in favor
House Vote: 265-159 in favor
Bush is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 09:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm aware of that. What you are apparently still unaware of are the words LESS THAN. As in $0 is LESS THAN $41,300.

There is no temporary funding for S-CHIP. Congress will be in session on Monday. Adjournment looms.

Senate Vote: 67-29 in favor
House Vote: 265-159 in favor
Bush is the problem.
Are you aware that people that make $0 currently have welfare, and this bill wouldnt duplicate medicade coverage?

There has been temporary funding for the S-CHIP program since the last veto.

As for the vote, looks pretty darn close to being able to over-ride a veto.. Where's the problem again?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
um.. and then insurance is funded how?
The same way that highway projects will be funded once people stop driving because of all those federal taxes on gasoline.

Quote:
Obviously you've missed the whole debate in question, that this is one step closer to a "national" healthcare, run by the federal government.
Perhaps you missed the point that S-CHIP is a state-run program now and would have remained exactly the same state-run program had Bush signed the bill.

Meanwhile, the real reason Bush vetoed the bill is because he is a spoiled brat. The poor baby doesn't have any real power any more. He's been sent to his room. All he and his paltry band of holdover Republican friends in the Senate can do is obstruct, obstruct, obstruct. Filibuster and veto. That's it. That's their program. So there, you Democrats! Nyah, nyah, nyah! Did you know that if Reid calls up just a few bills next week, the 110th Congress could very well shatter the all-time record for most filibusters by a single Congress? They're up to 58 now...and we aren't yet half way through!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
The same way that highway projects will be funded once people stop driving because of all those federal taxes on gasoline.

Perhaps you missed the point that S-CHIP is a state-run program now and would have remained exactly the same state-run program had Bush signed the bill.

Meanwhile, the real reason Bush vetoed the bill is because he is a spoiled brat. The poor baby doesn't have any real power any more. He's been sent to his room. All he and his paltry band of holdover Republican friends in the Senate can do is obstruct, obstruct, obstruct. Filibuster and veto. That's it. That's their program. So there, you Democrats! Nyah, nyah, nyah! Did you know that if Reid calls up just a few bills next week, the 110th Congress could very well shatter the all-time record for most filibusters by a single Congress? They're up to 58 now...and we aren't yet half way through!!!
Wow, you have a way to jump off target when someone asks you a question.. So I'll repeat.

As for the vote, looks pretty darn close to being able to over-ride a veto.. Where's the problem again?

The fact that Congress could shatter an all-time record for filibusters does nothing to support your argument, because all it proves is that bills are not being written with a bi-partisan support. Thanks for helping to support my argument, in your own posting.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Are you aware that people that make $0 currently have welfare, and this bill wouldnt duplicate medicade coverage?
That depends on the state (some merge S-CHIP with Medicaid), and you haven't het addressed your omission of the words LESS THAN. Oversight?

Quote:
There has been temporary funding for the S-CHIP program since the last veto.
Stopgap. To cover the time needed to pass the new law that Bush just vetoed. The second stopgap expires tomorrow.

Quote:
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500

Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
That depends on the state (some merge S-CHIP with Medicaid), and you haven't het addressed your omission of the words LESS THAN. Oversight?

Stopgap. To cover the time needed to pass the new law that Bush just vetoed. The second stopgap expires tomorrow.

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500
Actually copied the figures from a different website where they didnt have "less then", its mute because those with $0 income, have welfare as previously noted.

stopgap. So, Bush is to blame because Congress didnt get the bill to him in time to veto, and for them to have enough time override the bill? Sounds like a Congress incompetence to me. Everyone knows that taxes are due April 15th, you cant blame anyone else in your failure to provide the documents needed. Congress is no exception.

And I note, you've avoided the question yet again. If there is enough votes to override a veto, big bad Bush really holds no power to delay or deny anything, does he?

Last edited by pghquest; 12-13-2007 at 10:21 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
(Just as an fyi - New York's Plan was denied and taken out of revised bill. So that whole $80k or $83k or whatever is out the window, for those that have an attachment to and like to quote that figure.)

Last edited by bily4; 12-13-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 11:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenEl View Post
pghquest, I can understand your position on the bill and its details which I am not well aware of, but I'm afraid you missed my point. I'm not arguing whether the bill should pass or not. I'm not arguing whether you should be taxed for wealthier families to enjoy a healthcare system. What I am saying is mr Bush's decisions are very questionable.
Ok, you may not be taxed for that purpose, but you ARE being taxed to fund a war with questionable motives, and even more questionable positive effects. Wouldn't you prefer to be taxed so that children have access to healthcare (even if their parents earn more than you do) instead of being taxed so that people can be killed?

I would rather NOT BE TAXED AT ALL.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Bush vetoed the bill because he has taken a lot of extremely harsh criticism from his supporters over the budget deficit. When all is said and done, this war is going to cost the taxpayers a couple of trillion dollars. When you include interest payments that will be made to cover the war's cost the actually number skyrockets well beyond 2 trillion.

We could have done a whole lot with that money. Including secure our borders and ports against terrorism. Bush has shown extremely poor leadership, and for the most part, nobody in congress, on either side of the aisle, has the courage to stand up to him.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:09 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
I support President Bush's veto. This makes me proud that I voted for him twice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies