Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Oh please. I'm just giving you the reality of inner city life...

Let's get together and have coffee on the south side of Chitown around 11 PM

Denying these cities have a problem is part of the problem. Glad to hear you are trying to be part of
the solution, as is so many others...

Four Chicago Neighborhoods Named on List of 25 Most Dangerous

"Carlos Nelson, executive director of the Greater Auburn-Gresham Development Corporation (GADC), will not let the potential for violence put fear in him. "Because of my love for this community, when I went away to college in Nashville, Tennessee, I was determined to have my first home here in Auburn Gresham," he told YoChicago. "I could have bought anywhere, but I really wanted to stay close to my family ... I knew that I wanted to be back here, home, near 79th Street, near my grandfather, near the rest of my family, and I wanted to make the difference."
Chicago only has four inner city neighborhoods?

If you assume non-white people are all criminals, that is your issue not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

I think you're just afraid of brown people.

Top ten safest cities:

City, % Hispanic

El Paso, TX - 80%
San Diego, CA - 33%
NYC, NY - 29%
Austin, TX - 35.1%
San Jose, CA - 33%
Los Angeles, CA - 48.5%
Charlotte, NC - 35% Black & 13% Hispanic
Seattle, WA - 6%
San Antonio, TX - 63.2%
I'm not afraid of brown people. I'm Mediteranian - so I don't
even consider myself white. Probably darker complected than
most hispanics and lighter skinned blacks.

But, with the exception of El Paso, (of which their stats are debatable)
not one of the cities you've listed has a majority black or hispanic
populace, so I do not know the point you are trying to make.

And, I'd quit rolling your eyes, you might get a head ache...

I think you are afraid of statistics.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, public school education is consistently bad, nationwide. By 8th grade, there's not one state in which even half of all public school students are educated to grade-level proficiency.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013
As your chart suggest, the south suffers from the lowest education. Now, that's not really a surprise to anyone and we all know the causes (as I mentioned earlier). But it's about time we talk about the solution.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I don't think any correlation can be made that a high Hispanic population equals high crime in the USA. However, a high black population results in high crime.
No it doesn't. Poverty, low education, lack of opportunity, poor family structure, etc contribute to crime, but the color of your skin does not.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Chicago only has four inner city neighborhoods?

If you assume non-white people are all criminals, that is your issue not mine.
That was a link to an article, not a run down on Chi towns neighborhoods....

I lived in Chicago at one time, have you?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They are responsible for being human. Any other race of people in the same circumstances would have the same outcome. It isn't the race that is the problem, it's the culture. The culture does not stigmatize getting pregnant without any means of supporting the child, the culture where parents do not take an active role in their children's education, the culture which does not place a high value on having a good worth ethic, the culture which finds it acceptable to blame its problems on past injustices instead of working towards a better future, etc. Any group of people which pretty much went straight from harsh oppression to entitled victim status with less than a generation in between would probably develop the same problems. Now any single individual must be held responsible for his or her own actions or society wouldn't be able to function. However, at the community level we should be doing things to help the situation rather than just writing them off.
Where does culture come from? It's a product of the people. If the culture is to blame, then why not change the culture? It's because Black culture is a product of Black people.

Last edited by Supachai; 06-02-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
That was a link to an article, not a run down on Chi towns neighborhoods....

I lived in Chicago at one time, have you?
I have not lived in Chicago, but I have spent plenty of time there over the years. I have a few friends that live there and my best friend and I would take annual trips to Chicago. The winters are too rough for my taste these days.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:53 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
I'm not afraid of brown people. I'm Mediteranian - so I don't
even consider myself white. Probably darker complected than
most hispanics and lighter skinned blacks.

But, with the exception of El Paso, (of which their stats are debatable)
not one of the cities you've listed has a majority black or hispanic
populace, so I do not know the point you are trying to make.

And, I'd quit rolling your eyes, you might get a head ache...

I think you are afraid of statistics.
Hispanics are the majority group in almost every city I listed. Seattle and Charlotte are the only obvious exceptions.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have not lived in Chicago, but I have spent plenty of time there over the years. I have a few friends that live there and my best friend and I would take annual trips to Chicago. The winters are too rough for my taste these days.
Well then, let me break it to you gently
In mostly black neighborhoods in Chicago, they have a lot of crime and violence

I was there temporarily (a couple of years) and leaving was a very happy day, indeed.
Had to put socks on my dogs paws just to take them for a walk in the winter.
That wind off of Lake Shore Drive will rip your face off. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
To go even further, do liberal policies cause dependence on welfare which in turn causes chronic self-imposed poverty, in gang infested hoods?
No. There are places that are extremely liberal that have low crime rates. Asians and Jews are overwhelmingly left leaning and yet Asians and Jews don't have out of control murder rates and chronically low performing schools.

Safe neighborhoods just don't spring out of the ground. They are safe because of the people that live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies