Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 11:54 AM

864 posts, read 799,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Um... actually several billionaires, a couple dozen hundred millionaires, and dozens of millionaires will skew the income gap. That's not even counting the thousands making six figures.
Yes the per capita income is only $28,202 according to the census, actually lower than the entire state of Illinois.

Like I said, all those rich libs can't hide the fact that Chicago is poor, section 8, welfare liberal central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 12:00 PM

112 posts, read 92,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What are the 10 most Republican controlled cities? Not a list I have ever seen.
GOP Struggles To Sell Message In Big Cities : It's All Politics : NPR

According to this, there are only 9 out of the top 100 cities with GOP mayors... So unless he is talking smaller cities, there aren't 10. :-)

Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Yes the per capita income is only $28,202 according to the census, actually lower than the entire state of Illinois.

Like I said, all those rich libs can't hide the fact that Chicago is poor, section 8, welfare liberal central.
What's the per capita income of your rural republican strongholds? Guess they are poor, section 8, welfare RWNJ central huh?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisblues1986 View Post
What's the per capita income of your rural republican strongholds? Guess they are poor, section 8, welfare RWNJ central huh?
How much does it cost to live comfortably in the middle of urban Chicago?

How much does it cost to live comfortably in rural Illinois?

Which area do you think is full of welfare recipients and section 8 projects?

Now go slap yourself for trying to be smart.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:29 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
The small, rural, Republican county I grew up in has a food stamp usage that's 1/3 of the rate of cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Brooklyn and half that of Boston, Chicago and Portland.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:31 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:

Haha... did you think no one would notice you moving the goal posts? Okay... I'll take it as you conceding your income gap argument held no water.

So... what's your point about the per capita income of Chicago being what it is?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
How much does it cost to live comfortably in the middle of urban Chicago?

How much does it cost to live comfortably in rural Illinois?

Which area do you think is full of welfare recipients and section 8 projects?

Now go slap yourself for trying to be smart.
My point was a simple one, which you failed to grasp. Rural areas, which are republican mostly, are not immune to the very same things you describe in Chicago. Look up per capita income by county, and you will find mostly red ones at the bottom. It might be cheaper, but 18k ain't much anywhere, even in craphole Mississippi. I grew up in a small rural area in Alabama, and while our poverty level may not have been that of Chicago, the area was very very poor. Maybe being able to afford a double wide and a heavy use pickup is enough for you, but for most it isn't. I'll take 30k in a mid size city before I take 20 k in a rural cesspool any day. Oh and fyi, the difference in welfare is simple, the rural people are less likely to take it even if they need it. Numbers can lie, and by experience I know many people who need it but don't get it because they would just move back in with family, borrow money from family, or because it was a small town, get rid of their car and bike/walk/get friends to take them places. Not everyone has that luxury.

Don't think I'm saying that all welfare recipients need it, but the categorization that they are all worthless and lazy is just stupid. Some are, but not all.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM

No one is moving any goal post. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of someone claiming Chicago is full of billionaires and millionaires. Yeah, it's also full of really poor people and they outnumber the rich people by 10,000 to 1.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
My point was a simple one, which you failed to grasp. Rural areas, which are republican mostly, are not immune to the very same things you describe in Chicago. Look up per capita income by county, and you will find mostly red ones at the bottom. It might be cheaper, but 18k ain't much anywhere, even in craphole Mississippi. I grew up in a small rural area in Alabama, and while our poverty level may not have been that of Chicago, the area was very very poor. Maybe being able to afford a double wide and a heavy use pickup is enough for you, but for most it isn't. I'll take 30k in a mid size city before I take 20 k in a rural cesspool any day. Oh and fyi, the difference in welfare is simple, the rural people are less likely to take it even if they need it. Numbers can lie, and by experience I know many people who need it but don't get it because they would just move back in with family, borrow money from family, or because it was a small town, get rid of their car and bike/walk/get friends to take them places. Not everyone has that luxury.

Don't think I'm saying that all welfare recipients need it, but the categorization that they are all worthless and lazy is just stupid. Some are, but not all.
I don't see rural areas full of section 8 thug gang bangers with no jobs, and on welfare. That's typical of the liberal inner city though.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:54 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Because there are more rich people in blue States? That makes the gap wider.
Why aren't Democrats doing something to narrow the gap? Why aren't they redistributing the wealth of those extremely wide income gap Democrat-run cities and states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies