Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 04:37 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times

Advertisements

Ted Kennedy was was for wind farming but not in his back yard. So what is new with legislators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 04:38 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
At least in New York, the setbacks as you go up in a building was to allow sunlight to the street, which was important in the days prior to neon New York you see today.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The world owes property owners econommic liberty and the right to sell or give their property to a person of their choosing.

The world owes me only that for which I tender full and timely payment to a willing seller.
You said you knew the zoning codes but, wanted to litigate......the problem is.....it is not your land.

You paid on an impossible dream.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
??? I consider NOT owning your home FAR on being far riskier than owning it.

Not owning puts you at risk of rent increases every year, not to mention being at risk of displacement every year, with or without cause. I'd bet you won't find many long-term renters who come out better off than if they had bought; the net worth data show that the net worth of homeowners is thousands of times greater than the net worth of renters.
Only someone that has never owned a home would make such a foolish statement.

The up keep on homes is very costly......even on new homes.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You said you knew the zoning codes but, wanted to litigate......the problem is.....it is not your land.

You paid on an impossible dream.

What if the seller and I jointly sue? Hard to argue a property owner doesn't have standing.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Only someone that has never owned a home would make such a foolish statement.

The up keep on homes is very costly......even on new homes.

If the upkeep is so costly, why do homeowners have vastly greater median net worth than renters?

It's easy to mitigate a lot of the cost when you do the work yourself, that's why there is a large DIY industry out there.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
If the upkeep is so costly, why do homeowners have vastly greater median net worth than renters?

It's easy to mitigate a lot of the cost when you do the work yourself, that's why there is a large DIY industry out there.
Because they are older, have higher incomes, have more stable employment, and have better credit. They aren't wealthy because they own, they own because they are wealthy.

http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/jc...mographics.pdf

Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Investments are part of their worth.

I am at a loss why anyone can not understand that.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
What if the seller and I jointly sue? Hard to argue a property owner doesn't have standing.
The home owner can go to the zoning board....most of the time on a split it is a waste of time.

The seller (who has not sold anything) could sue.....another waste of time and money.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Investments are part of their worth.

I am at a loss why anyone can not understand that.

Since you seem to be fixated on an investment meme...'t

Don't we all invest one way or another? The rent I pay is an investment in the shelter that facilitate a good night's sleep which allows me to go to work without fatigue. (At one time I slept in my car for several weeks, and went to work tired.)

We all generally seek to optimize our cash flow and our wealth. Renters can't optimize their cash flow when it costs more to rent than to own, and can't optimize their wealth because renters lose everything and get ROI = zero or is it negative?

And isn't it ironic that your neighbors have made it harder for people to 'invest' in homes in your township, and then you say those renters (whom you have shut out) have not made an investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies