Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I think there's something very curious about this whole deal. You can be acquainted with someone and not truly "know" someone.

So it's not only why, but why now?

A pressing desire to close out Gitmo ASAP I'm guessing. They've been wanting to dump these 5 guys for awhile, this gave them a somewhat valid pretext for doing it. Now that they've released the 5 most dangerous guys they had, they can wait a few months, if there are no incidents they can say "see, look, we released the most dangerous guys, nothing happened, so lets get the rest of these guys out of here."

By all accounts the White House and the State Department were pretty much entirely behind this with the Pentagon and the intelligence community largely cut out of the decision-making. They had gone to the intelligence community before, not gotten the answers they wanted so they seem to have side-stepped them entirely.

Is it the right decision? Only time will tell ultimately. I think Bergdahl was just a useful pretext for them, reportedly the Taliban had gotten desperate to make a trade and the U.S. military had a good idea of Bergdahl's whereabouts but didn't want to risk operator's lives for a guy who was considered a deserter. I think they had a lot more leverage and could have worked out a much more favorable deal but it is what it is and hopefully it all goes for the best.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Everybody is cying about the 5 ALLEGED Terroist we let go going back to fight. I think of it this way, when my in Law was released from a Vietnamese Prison back in the 70's The last thing he wanted to do was go back and fight a war.
He went home to be with his family and never looked back.

It has been proven that MUSLIM militants don't think like Americans.

Not many Americans are suicide bombers, either.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 PM

11 posts, read 7,633 times
First of all I'd like to say that I am TOTALLY nonpartisan. I don't agree with any of the parties or their extreme views. With that said....

One thing is for sure, there are still many facts which have yet to come to light in this case. It is pretty common knowledge that the American people are the last to know anything about what our government is doing. Bottom line, he is absolutely not a hero and it fills me with rage that he has been treated as such. But knowing the president's warm and fuzzy feelings about Islam (Mr. Obama's father makes Bergdahl's dad look downright patriotic), it is not surprising he has treated this individual's family the way he has. This is not nearly the first strange, questionable thing Obama has done in office (returning of the Churchhill bust, complete reversal of stance about the Falkland Islands, etc.).....makes you wonder what the current administration's ultimate goals really are....

Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
You now, he's gone through 5 years as POW in Afghanistan. Plus the media has started to shed light on this guy's shady background so his name and his family's name will be dragged through the mud before the whole thing blows over. Isn't that punishment enough?
The DOD never listed him as a POW.

Why are you?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
"Bergdahl is a deserter, and he's not a hero," says Buetow. "He needs to answer for what he did."
Within days of his disappearance, says Buetow, teams monitoring radio chatter and cell phone communications intercepted an alarming message: The American is in Yahya Khel (a village two miles away). He's looking for someone who speaks English so he can talk to the Taliban.
"I heard it straight from the interpreter's lips as he heard it over the radio," said Buetow. "There's a lot more to this story than a soldier walking away."

The Army will review the case of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl "in a comprehensive, coordinated effort," Secretary of the Army John McHugh said Tuesday.
The review will include speaking with Bergdahl "to better learn from him the circumstances of his disappearance and captivity," he said.
The night Bergdahl disappeared, says Buetow, the platoon was at a small outpost, consisting of two bunkers and a perimeter of military trucks. Buetow was in one of the bunkers, and Bergdahl was supposed to be in a tent by one of the trucks.
Then a call came through on the radio.
"I'll never forget that line, 'Has anyone seen Bergdahl?'" says Buetow.
Firsthand accounts from soldiers in his platoon say Bergdahl disappeared while he was on guard duty.
Buetow says Bergdahl was about to go on guard duty, but when a fellow soldier went to wake him, he was not in his tent. He had left behind his weapons, his bullet-proof vest, and night vision gear.
"I immediately knew, I said, 'He walked away. He walked away,'" said Buetow.
Bergdahl walked off the observation post with nothing more than a compass, a knife, water, a digital camera and a diary, according to firsthand accounts from soldiers in his platoon.

Buetow was involved in the immediate search for Bergdahl, pushing a patrol into a nearby local village.
"Immediately as we left the base, two small boys walked up to us, and they told us that they saw an American crawling in the weeds by himself," said the former Army sergeant. The search followed that lead, and others, for months.
"For 60 days or more, I remember, just straight, all we did was search for Bergdahl," said Buetow, "essentially chasing a ghost because we never came up with anything."

At least six soldiers were killed in subsequent searches for him, according to soldiers involved in those operations.

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06...lk-to-taliban/

Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The DOD never listed him as a POW.

Why are you?
Yet, while AWOL, he kept getting promotions, and soon Obama will make him a staff sergeant.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
According to the military, he is NOT a traitor. In fact, he will be getting a promotion to staff Sergeant.

In fact he won't.

Quote:
Dempsey said in the interview that Bergdahl, a private, who was promoted to sergeant during his captivity, will no longer be automatically promoted to staff sergeant because he is now free.

Gen. Dempsey: Army may still pursue desertion charge for Bowe Bergdahl*-*Los Angeles Times

The free ride of getting promotions for having screwed over his fellow soldiers and getting himself captured is over.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Juram, calm down dude... you're gonna pop a vein.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
The more that is learned, the more I'm convinced that the residents of the town of Hailey, ID are either in some cult, mentally incapacitated, or just plain delusional.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
certain areas of Idaho have a reputation for attracting all 3 that you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies