Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Actually it started back even farther when Carter tried to negotiate the release of the hostages that Iran held. Negotiating with terror groups happens quite frequently.

One thing though, with the Iran-Contra scandal, at least Reagan came to the airways and admitted what they did was wrong and took full responsibility.
Really, when?

The story that Oliver North tells (even to this day) is that no one in the administration, especially Reagan, ever did anything wrong.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:57 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
As an American Blackhawk helicopter approaches, one of the insurgents is heard telling Sergeant Bergdahl: “Don’t come back to Afghanistan. If you do, you won’t make it out alive next time.” Other insurgents standing nearby laugh at the warning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/wo...s-soldier.html

Old 06-04-2014, 11:02 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Putting on a good show for the cameras if you ask me. I wouldent be surprised if Bergdahl turns out to be a real life Manchurian Candidate.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
does this mean that Bowe's parade is going to be cancelled now?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Was wondering how long it would take the government to start attacking veterans for daring to open their mouths.

Quote:
On Wednesday's "Today Show," NBC's senior White House correspondent Chuck Todd reported that "a few [White House] aides describe it to me as ‘we didn’t know that they were going to Swift Boat Bergdahl.’"
In a later tweet, Todd didn't dispute that the White House used the derogatory term "swift boat" to "describe Bergdahl's platoon reaction."

Report: White House Aides Accusing Bergdahl’s Unit Comrades Of ‘Swift Boating’ Him « CBS DC

https://twitter.com/chucktodd/status/474173821554282496

Old 06-04-2014, 11:30 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Speaking English is similar to knowing how to ride a bicycle.

Neither are ..........."use it or lose it "

Old 06-04-2014, 11:39 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was released after being held by the Afghan Taliban for 5 years - in exchange for 5 terrorists who had been imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay prison.
Instead of being happy for the successful release of an American soldier, a few Republican politicians are upset - but then again they are upset by everything that this President does.
Even John McCain, who knows first hand what it was like to be tortured as a prisoner, was complaining.
I'm still trying to figure out why supposedly fair-minded Americans who claim to support truth and justice are so quick to declare Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl guilty of desertion and branding him a traitor without the benefit of the Department of Defense conducting a full debriefing of him and an investigation to establish what really happened on the day of his disappearance and then, if warranted, had a court-martial.

Just because he may have been portrayed as guilty in the court of public opinion doesn't make him guilty of anything in a court of law. However, you may feel about what may or may not have happened, the last time I checked, this was still America and the Constitution and the rule of law still applies to individuals and he is entitled to due process.

If he is guilty of anything, he will get what the law prescribes but if he is not guilty, then he has been done an injustice.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:40 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
Obama was in a no win situation. He could not be the president who decided to abandon a member of the armed forces just because the guy was stupid enough to go wandering off in enemy territory and got caught. Bergdahl had to be looked at in the light of the fact that he had not been charged with or convicted of desertion and by law was still an American Soldier in active duty. Such being the case, his rescue should be looked at in context of any other rescue of a POW.

Was this person worth a swap of 5 terrorists? Probably not, but the return of those 5 who have been out of circulation for a awhile is not the end of the world. There still are thousands of other terrorists, including the 5 who had taken over the jobs of the 5 that were captured.

Was Bergdahl an idiot for getting caught in the first place? Yes!! What did he expect to happen to him? Any armed group from any country would gladly capture a member of the enemy who was just out strolling around by himself in a war zone.

Should Bergdahl be convicted of desertion and other crimes? Definitely yes, if after an appropriate military investigation and trial if the evidence shows this to be the case. I have no problem seeing this guy thrown into Leavenworth to spend the rest of his life in a new prison, we just need to follow the proper procedure.
You can't come on here and start making sense
These people are out for Obama Blood and by damn it, they're going to get it!
Rational thinking goes out the window when Obama name is even mentioned. I not satisfied with Obama either but damn, where was this outrage with Clinton, Bush x2 and Regan?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why supposedly fair-minded Americans who claim to support truth and justice are so quick to declare Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl guilty of desertion and branding him a traitor without the benefit of the Department of Defense conducting a full debriefing of him and an investigation to establish what really happened on the day of his disappearance and then, if warranted, had a court-martial.

DoD investigation in 2010 concluded he had walked away from his unit. The comments of a dozen members of his own unit thus far confirm the same. All the available facts confirmed the same thing. I don't see any reason to give him the benefit of the doubt given what has been revealed that far.

The only thing that hasn't proven is PFC Bergdahl's reasoning for abandoning his unit, whether he was out for an adventure or simply was trying to defect. Eitherway he walked out on people he had a responsibility to support and defend.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Just because he may have been portrayed as guilty in the court of public opinion doesn't make him guilty of anything in a court of law. However, you may feel about what may or may not have happened, the last time I checked, this was still America and the Constitution and the rule of law still applies to individuals and he is entitled to due process.

If he is guilty of anything, he will get what the law prescribes but if he is not guilty, then he has been done an injustice.
If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck 9 times out of 10 it IS a duck.
If the DOD provides details to support he actually was a POW and didn't of his own volition walk away from his unit I will be the first to eat my words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies