Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
So, you think if some people in a group lie or cheat, the whole group is guilty? Interesting... that would explain the hatred of the poor you have, though since other humans lie and cheat, I guess you'd have to condemn yourself, too, based on that logic...
Just to throw an example out...what do you personally think of someone who abuses alcohol and prescription drugs and destroys their liver and then drops their COBRA only to pop into the ER a short while later and not pay a dime for their care as they claim not to have a job or insurance. Do you think that person should have free care provided?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 PM

594 posts, read 346,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The right to health care was abolished when regulations were put in place to keep people from practicing medicine that had zero training, education, or experience?

Is this a joke?

You would be happy if there were people out there with medical practices that couldn't practice real medicine?

To be honest, I hope you go to a place where you can get what you want. I hope you get to experience medical care performed by a burger flipper or mechanic. Not that I wish harm to come to others...but many times people extol terrible ideas until they get to experience what its like firsthand.
Obviosly we need government regulations concerning health care, so on that we both agree. However, to your last sentance hits the horrible reality of the ACA, it was prophesied to be grand and glorious, and the reality is even worse than it's opponents told us.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
Great screen name, because that was rambling. Who the hell are these "LOONS" who you say hates people simply for being poor???? BTW, being poor is a trasitional state that many of us will find ourselves in throughout our lives, myself definately included.

To assume that there are no moochers is absurd, we will always have moochers, both rich and poor, who look to mooch off of the taxpayers to get free taxpayer dollars... including big money grubbing corporations.
People who hate the poor are everywhere, and poverty is not a transitional state in this nation, at least not anymore. Sure, people CAN rise above it, but they can also fall into it. Our nation's economy has been dying for years, as we should all be aware by now.

As for the rest, I have yet to see a single sane argument against reducing health-care costs. The simple fact is a healthier population is more productive and saddled with fewer health-related drags on the economy. Every argument I've seen against it is either hating the poor - "why should any of my money go to help somebody else who clearly is ill because they deserve it?!" or gross misrepresentation of why affordable health care is - "Mah healthcare is going to be provided by somebody at the DMV and death-panels will kill your grandma!" Ignorance and hatred are not valid in any reasonable debate. The rest of the developed world has achieved more affordable healthcare - there is no reason we cannot.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Just to throw an example out...what do you personally think of someone who abuses alcohol and prescription drugs and destroys their liver and then drops their COBRA only to pop into the ER a short while later and not pay a dime for their care as they claim not to have a job or insurance. Do you think that person should have free care provided?
Of course not.

Keep in mind that the only FREE health-care - aside from obviously emergency room care, which may not be free in the long run, but can't be delayed until somebody's insurance approves it - that I expressly supported involves any diseases that are easily contagious and dangerous. We do NOT want a plague massacring our citizens just because many of the victims are poor. Again, it's not as if the Black Plague carefully avoided anyone with a net worth over a certain value.

An argument could be made that various forms of child health-care should also be free or very cheap since it seems grossly unfair to penalize a child's health just because they happened to be born into a very poor family. Obviously, limits would have to be established, but it is a valid point, especially considering the long-term costs that society may have to bear later if the child doesn't get affordable care up-front when they need it.

As for idiots ruining their livers or people who want free cosmetic surgery for no good reason or whatever, let them suck up the cost. I'm not in favor of "Free health-care" - since there really is no such thing - but rather "affordable health-care" with a clear focus on actual health, particularly preventive care. Sadly, our nation has turned into one of pill-poppers with zero responsibility... perhaps discouraging that type of behavior via what forms of health-care get discounts and what forms don't might encourage better behavior... Hmmm...

Old 06-02-2014, 12:31 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
Obviosly we need government regulations concerning health care, so on that we both agree. However, to your last sentance hits the horrible reality of the ACA, it was prophesied to be grand and glorious, and the reality is even worse than it's opponents told us.
Only in that vast empty space between your ears.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Really, so these people dragging oxygen bottles, or those incredibly fat people motoring around in power chairs in grocery stores with junk food in the basket are going to die soon? Naw, they drag it out driving the cost up for everyone.
This sounds like the idiots that honk at me on my bicycle. Driving around in their oversized jerkwagons polluting the environment complaining about gas prices and health care costs.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Voluntarily.
Same here.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
People who hate the poor are everywhere, and poverty is not a transitional state in this nation, at least not anymore. Sure, people CAN rise above it, but they can also fall into it. Our nation's economy has been dying for years, as we should all be aware by now.

As for the rest, I have yet to see a single sane argument against reducing health-care costs. The simple fact is a healthier population is more productive and saddled with fewer health-related drags on the economy. Every argument I've seen against it is either hating the poor - "why should any of my money go to help somebody else who clearly is ill because they deserve it?!" or gross misrepresentation of why affordable health care is - "Mah healthcare is going to be provided by somebody at the DMV and death-panels will kill your grandma!" Ignorance and hatred are not valid in any reasonable debate. The rest of the developed world has achieved more affordable healthcare - there is no reason we cannot.
There's a very good reason you cannot. The rest of the developed world doesn't have the "Not On My Dime!" party...aka Republicans.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:40 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't want my tax load increased.
I feel you on that, but beyond any aspect of human compassion, it's certainly not "free" to skimp on universal health care. And the only industry I'm aware of that is more convoluted and wasteful than government bureaucracy is private medicine.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
There's a very good reason you cannot. The rest of the developed world doesn't have the "Not On My Dime!" party...aka Republicans.
Republicans = Plutocrats

We should all give our blood, sweat, tears, and souls to the 1%. They are the epitome of success and morality. Bow down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies