Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:12 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
That's what it is. Are you in denial?
What I am is wondering why so many on here scoff at tiny houses. Have you seen the insides of some? And no, I do not consider tiny houses trailers. Can you move them? Sure. Would you call it a trailer? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:15 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What I am is wondering why so many on here scoff at tiny houses. Have you seen the insides of some? And no, I do not consider tiny houses trailers. Can you move them? Sure. Would you call it a trailer? No.
How is it different from a trailer? There are fancy trailers too. I grew up in a town with 3 trailer parks, there are always the ones that 'pimp out' their crib. With fancy skirting and trim and cornice and what not. I saw one with an attached walkout glass greenhouse. A trailer is a tiny movable house, even when they build a foundation on it (which they often do) its still a trailer.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:19 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Have you looked at the costs of "tiny" houses?

Good Grief! They cost more than traditional homes.

Definitely not a solution for the poor.
I don't get it really, ---50 grand for a 150 sf gingerbread house? Heck, buy a doublewide which can be 1400 sf for 35 grand?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
How is it different from a trailer? There are fancy trailers too. I grew up in a town with 3 trailer parks, there are always the ones that 'pimp out' their crib. With fancy skirting and trim and cornice and what not. I saw one with an attached walkout glass greenhouse. A trailer is a tiny movable house, even when they build a foundation on it (which they often do) its still a trailer.
Shrug, sorry, I don't consider them trailers. And again, why are people scoffing at them? What's the problem exactly?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
To those here who think tiny houses are glorified garden sheds:

I'd personally love to live in any of these "sheds". I'm actually planning on designing (and building) my own tiny house slightly inspired by some of these above. Why people need McMansions is a mystery to me.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:43 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
For the average american, 1/3 to 1/2 of their take home income is dedicated to housing, primarily a 15/30 year mortgage. This is obviously a huge constraint to people financially, and many live paycheck to paycheck with no retirement savings at all.

In the past few years there has been a "tiny house movement", small homes, no bigger than 500 sqft, usually with just 1 or 2 sleeping areas, a kitchen, bathroom.
What Is The Tiny House Movement? « The Tiny Life

Some of them are small enough to even be towed by truck. I've seen Tiny home communities popping up in many places around California, and the initial cost is usually around $10,000 (if you build it yourself) to $50,000 if you pay someone to build one of the larger models. You usually also pay a modest HOA fee. That's still 3 times lower than the average price of a home in the U.S.

Could this movement solve the housing crisis in some of the more popular metro areas, or is this just a dumb fad? Pros and cons? Would you consider living in a tiny house?
"The poor" need to be defined.
Who are the poor? the people who can't afford the payments on whatever size home? Been there done that.

Property cost and taxes, local zoning enter into the equation.

Need land to build small homes, that's why there are tall buildings.

small homes a good idea in general.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Shrug, sorry, I don't consider them trailers. And again, why are people scoffing at them? What's the problem exactly?
I am scoffing because they actually encourage waste. If your house is so small that you cant do anything there, then you are going to be going out all of the time, and having a larger footprint than if you had the space and restful and luxurious environment to be content to stay at home and spend time with your family and friends there.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:03 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
I am scoffing because they actually encourage waste. If your house is so small that you cant do anything there, then you are going to be going out all of the time, and having a larger footprint than if you had the space and restful and luxurious environment to be content to stay at home and spend time with your family and friends there.
"If your house is so small that you cant do anything there..."

...Then you failed in the design of your house (assuming you designed/built it). If you are one of those people that just buys a tiny house (people that spend 150,000-250,000+ on a tiny house blow my mind) and you buy a tiny house that you can't do anything in again you aren't very bright. You don't need a McMansion to have space to relax, watch a movie, have friends over, cook dinner or do just about anything else you can do with any other house. You just have to be creative (I feel like that is an evil word for some people) with your space and not expect 300 sq. feet to be 3000. Most people who choose to live in a tiny house are choosing to so they go into it with a plan and when they are living in their tiny home they are living with less and loving it. Americans (and really people in general) are so focused on more, more, more it drives me a little nuts.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
"If your house is so small that you cant do anything there..."

...Then you failed in the design of your house (assuming you designed/built it). If you are one of those people that just buys a tiny house (people that spend 150,000-250,000+ on a tiny house blow my mind) and you buy a tiny house that you can't do anything in again you aren't very bright. You don't need a McMansion to have space to relax, watch a movie, have friends over, cook dinner or do just about anything else you can do with any other house. You just have to be creative (I feel like that is an evil word for some people) with your space and not expect 300 sq. feet to be 3000. Most people who choose to live in a tiny house are choosing to so they go into it with a plan and when they are living in their tiny home they are living with less and loving it. Americans (and really people in general) are so focused on more, more, more it drives me a little nuts.
People do not have big houses to have more stuff, they do so to have more space, space customized for a quality life. And people still need the stuff regardless of if its in your house or not, they have to go someplace else to access it. You cant have a quality life in 300 sq feet, you would go crazy. Cabin fever is very real.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
What do you mean you can't do anything there? Honestly, I encourage you to read up on it & check out a few models. Lots of assumptions & misinformation. It's weird how people have such disdain for those who choose not to revel in material things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies