Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,196,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
For the average american, 1/3 to 1/2 of their take home income is dedicated to housing, primarily a 15/30 year mortgage. This is obviously a huge constraint to people financially, and many live paycheck to paycheck with no retirement savings at all.

In the past few years there has been a "tiny house movement", small homes, no bigger than 500 sqft, usually with just 1 or 2 sleeping areas, a kitchen, bathroom.
What Is The Tiny House Movement? « The Tiny Life
The "tiny house" movement is nothing particularly new, whole families living in tiny houses called "shacks" was common in the US throughout most of its history, and is still popular in much of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 04:39 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,891,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What do you mean you can't do anything there? Honestly, I encourage you to read up on it & check out a few models. Lots of assumptions & misinformation. It's weird how people have such disdain for those who choose not to revel in material things.
Material things like what? A pool table? Then they are going out to play pool, they still revel in the pool table.
A whirlpool tub? Then they are going to the spa.
A home gym? Then they are going out to the gym.
Pictures on the walls? Then they are going out to the museum.
A full sized kitchen? Then they are going out to the restaurant to eat a full sized meal.

Everyone revels in these 'material things'. Only some use a lot less of a footprint to access it, because its in their house.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,482,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Material things like what?
You know exactly what anyone means by material things. Now, why are you disdainful of those who choose to downsize?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
You know exactly what anyone means by material things. Now, why are you disdainful of those who choose to downsize?
Because they aren't actually downsizing, they are renting their materialism instead of owning.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
I have been living in a relatively small condo for 35 years. The only thing I really miss is a big garage where I could build things for myself and my friends. But I never wanted to that so badly I would have had to take on the expense of a house bigger then we needed.

Note: Thirty plus years of books, magazines and video tapes etc. now take up more space the us. It is past time to thin the collection.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Because they aren't actually downsizing, they are renting their materialism instead of owning.
How so?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
How so?
I updated my previous post after you replied to it.

Material things like what? A pool table? Then they are going out to play pool, they still revel in the pool table.
A full sized kitchen? Then they are going out to the restaurant to eat a full sized meal.

Everyone revels in these 'material things'. Only some use a lot less of a footprint to access it, because its in their house.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:52 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,288,911 times
Never heard of this "movement". Sounds to me like just a different name for a mobile home or fabricated home. There was always a stigma attached to mobile homes, as being places for white trash, the poor, and undesirable in a community. Calling it a "tiny house" seems like an attempt to make it appear more respectable. If it works for some people, good. We've got Republicans striving hard 24/7 to make the rich richer, while everyone else goes to hell. Such places are needed for people who are priced out and don't want to leave an area.

Interesting change of terminology though with the changing times: mobile homes are called "tiny houses." Beatniks are now called "hipsters".

Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I updated my previous post after you replied to it.

Hahahaha, hilarious! One of the best examples of spin I've yet seen on this forum. Yet it still doesn't explain your disdain for those who choose to downsize.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:57 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,387,406 times
LN is it not possible for you to not insert republican/democrat into every thread on the internets

this thread is about ALLEGED tiny homes and the people who live in em
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies