Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Next to the mini-house could be a mini-storage, and next to that, a mini-garage for a mini-car.
Many areas will not allow that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:43 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Many areas will not allow that.
Well, maybe just stack steel containers one atop the other and call it done.

Steel containers protect from electro-pollution.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Well, maybe just stack steel containers one atop the other and call it done.

Steel containers protect from electro-pollution.
That could work......oh, it did.....they call then high raises.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
For the average american, 1/3 to 1/2 of their take home income is dedicated to housing, primarily a 15/30 year mortgage. This is obviously a huge constraint to people financially, and many live paycheck to paycheck with no retirement savings at all.

In the past few years there has been a "tiny house movement", small homes, no bigger than 500 sqft, usually with just 1 or 2 sleeping areas, a kitchen, bathroom.
What Is The Tiny House Movement? « The Tiny Life

Some of them are small enough to even be towed by truck. I've seen Tiny home communities popping up in many places around California, and the initial cost is usually around $10,000 (if you build it yourself) to $50,000 if you pay someone to build one of the larger models. You usually also pay a modest HOA fee. That's still 3 times lower than the average price of a home in the U.S.

Could this movement solve the housing crisis in some of the more popular metro areas, or is this just a dumb fad? Pros and cons? Would you consider living in a tiny house?
this same suggestion and subject was debated on here about 2 years ago: I have to wonder if it was someone else or if you and he are the same person? No, it would not help. Not everyone should have the right to own property and not everyone wants to own property...BTW, what do you consider a tiny house and should there be requirements as to how many people can live in one of these "tiny" houses? have you even seen some of the habitat for Humanities homes a few years later? Well, I have. Yes, some are in good condition and the owners are proud of their chance to be home owners, more are not. I am sure they entered the program with good intentions, but the money for upkeep just wasn't there. And where in CA are these being built for $50,000 or less?

Last edited by nmnita; 06-02-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 12:52 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
i like the small ones on a slab not on wheels that have kitchen and a toilet that flushes

they are cool for guest houses, backyard offices, studio apt etc

they can be built pretty quick and cheaply, some of these people though waste money trying to get the some artificial worth, same concept of rolling around in that lil golf cart thing called a smartcar

Old 06-02-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this same suggestion and subject was debated on here about 2 years ago: I have to wonder if it was someone else or if you and he are the same person? No, it would not help. Not everyone should have the right to own property and not everyone wants to own property...BTW, what do you consider a tiny house and should there be requirements as to how many people can live in one of these "tiny" houses? have you even seen some of the habitat for Humanities homes a few years later? Well, I have. Yes, some are in good condition and the owners are proud of their chance to be home owners, more are not. I am sure they entered the program with good intentions, but the money for upkeep just wasn't there.
In our area three Habitat homes have been foreclosed on this year.

One was completely trashed......they put stuff in the toilets and let the water run from all the taps.....in the winter.

The water/ice pushed the walls out from the foundation......it was tore down.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:02 PM

864 posts, read 799,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this same suggestion and subject was debated on here about 2 years ago: I have to wonder if it was someone else or if you and he are the same person? No, it would not help. Not everyone should have the right to own property and not everyone wants to own property...BTW, what do you consider a tiny house and should there be requirements as to how many people can live in one of these "tiny" houses? have you even seen some of the habitat for Humanities homes a few years later? Well, I have. Yes, some are in good condition and the owners are proud of their chance to be home owners, more are not. I am sure they entered the program with good intentions, but the money for upkeep just wasn't there.
What the heck? Tiny houses are not for the same people that are getting free houses from habitat for humanity. That's an asinine comparison.

Habitat for Humanity is basically a volunteer org that gives free houses to people who would never be able to afford one, who probably would never be able to qualify for a mortgage, and most of the time have had problems in the past (former drug addicts, homeless, criminal history, etc).

Tiny houses are simply an alternative product for a certain segment of home buyer. These people have jobs and simply don't want to take on a huge mortgage and don't want to live in a trailer park, or apartment setting, or need 2,000 sqft to store their "stuff".

I can't believe people are comparing Tiny Homes to "habitat for humanity" slum homes. That shows a total misunderstanding of what Tiny homes are.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
But it's the land in CA that's expensive. Then add on the high property taxes and those HOA fees. Maybe these will work in the outlying areas, but I don't think they will be affordable in the expensive CA cities unless they qualify for some low income housing designation.
Property tax rates are actually very low in California. Less then half the average rate in Texas. Now, property values are quite high so that even with a low rate the total amount can seem high but that doesn't change the fact that the rates are exceptionally low due to prop 13.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
What the heck? Tiny houses are not for the same people that are getting free houses from habitat for humanity. That's an asinine comparison.

Habitat for Humanity is basically a volunteer org that gives free houses to people who would never be able to afford one, who probably would never be able to qualify for a mortgage, and most of the time have had problems in the past (former drug addicts, homeless, criminal history, etc).

Tiny houses are simply an alternative product for a certain segment of home buyer. These people have jobs and simply don't want to take on a huge mortgage and don't want to live in a trailer park, or apartment setting.

I can't believe people are comparing Tiny Homes to "habitat for humanity" slum homes. That shows a total misunderstanding of what this Tiny homes are.
They are not free at all.

The new owners have to help with the building along with volunteers....in the end the have a low interest loan.

They can still lose the house.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM

I thought habitat homes were free too......they are not.

Habitat for Humanity frequently asked questions | Habitat for Humanity Int'l
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies