Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

For same reason in the 60's; flood gates where not built to protect New Orleans from having surge reaching the levy of canals that broke. A environmental group got a temporary in junction based a danger to a class of minnows. The Johnson administration decided it was politically wise to not oppose it in court. In other instances levies to protect towns that constantly flood along rivers have been turned down because people decided it ruined the view and we have paid for those decisions time and again in flood play outs. Mostly level system are decades old and only improvement is politically possible. Its like trying to get thru building a new refinery people griped where not being built in congressional hearings; near impossible now days because same people who griped. We have red taped our self to inaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
I would also like to make sure that people in this thread know that Antarctic land ice mass is shrinking.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
How many republicans on this site could pass a college physics course with calculus? 4 maybe

Don't get me wrong, sucessfully parroting of what might be the course matter of a college physics course does not mean those ideas and facts are understood. Soetimes a parrot does a great job of talking. The person could ace such courses but not have what physicist call physical intuition or the ability to do critical thinking about physics or apply science to making public policy. I'll tell you most scientists are barely able to do such things and as such are nothing but glorious technicians. Physics is like a pyramid in most disciplines you could put the scientists who after in some cases many years (it took me the better part of 20 years) have the genuine understanding, the intuitive feel of a problem and have a very highly developed BS discriminator (a extremely important skill in doing science) at the apex. For example, in High energy particle physics this population is roughly 200 people. Now there are about 2000 physicists nationwide who also do this science but largely have no say whatsoever in setting priorities, or determining how the R&D pie is cut. My scientific mentor (your creator as a scientist) drummed it in to me science IS NOT A DEMOCRACY, until one is made a scientific Cardinal one can have opinions but you are not making policy or determining at the high level what science is done. Now I never got my red skull cap but I worked in a scientific candy store where I could do what ever science interested me just so long the high and mighty could do a good dog and pony show and smiles back at me. I lasted in World class science for about 20 years. Now as I what this thread and others on this topis and related one. There is profound ignorance about scientists, the real world of how science gets done and more important what becomes accepted in the discipline and what does not.
I'll tell a little secret, scientists are all too human and behind those closed door blood gets drawn. Some arguements are epic (Like the Thrilla ijn Manilla or the chess matches between Karpov and Kasparov) ) but like the College of Cardinals, what happens behind those huge brass doors never gets out and when concensus is reached the smoke changes from black to white and Habemus Papem is proclaimed to the waiting world. Apply this to the IPCC and one will have understanding, You will never find a Cardinal who will admit voting against the new Pope. So I am not surprized 97 % of scientists in the climate science communities are in agreement. They are good Catholics you know. Now remember the Catholic Church has survived all he human history that nearly 1500 years has thrown at it.

Last edited by mwruckman; 06-04-2014 at 09:52 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Our state is not allowing building back homes along the coast that are knocked over by water during hurricanes on the Outer Banks. There is plenty of land in the USA. You don't have to build in flood plains such as New Orleans. Come inland and build on more stable ground.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You don't get my point. I don't care why its increasing. I'm tired of all the doom and gloom warmers screaming how the antarctic will melt and flood the world when that isn't reality. That is my point.

Of course you don't care, but so called Conservatives are usually the first people to come crying to Washington to get a bailout when a tornado tears you a new *******, a wildfire turns you nice home into charcoal or the water, mud, snow or whatever keeps coming and coming and your property is gone. You want reality well this is it for example last week a wildfire near San Deigo nearly fryed the Marine Base at Camp Pendleton and it will go on and on. Seriously People like you are a danger to humanity.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
For same reason in the 60's; flood gates where not built to protect New Orleans from having surge reaching the levy of canals that broke. A environmental group got a temporary in junction based a danger to a class of minnows. The Johnson administration decided it was politically wise to not oppose it in court. In other instances levies to protect towns that constantly flood along rivers have been turned down because people decided it ruined the view and we have paid for those decisions time and again in flood play outs. Mostly level system are decades old and only improvement is politically possible. Its like trying to get thru building a new refinery people griped where not being built in congressional hearings; near impossible now days because same people who griped. We have red taped our self to inaction.

Also remember the Corps of Engineers did a half witted job building the Levies and other engineering works. You are not dealing with professionals in this field like the Dutch. The Dutch learned their lesson in 1953. So go ahead and blame the little minnows and all those people who have an issue with the local refineries putting a lot of carcinogens in the air. Republicans need to learn if you keep crapping on people like the oil and gas and related industries do that people don't like it. No amount of Koch bucks will change it.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
South Florida has two big problems. The first is its remarkably flat topography. Half the area that surrounds Miami is less than five feet above sea level. Its highest natural elevation, a limestone ridge that runs from Palm Beach to just south of the city, averages a scant 12 feet. With just three feet of sea-level rise, more than a third of southern Florida will vanish; at six feet, more than half will be gone.

Even worse, South Florida sits above a vast and porous limestone plateau. “Imagine Swiss cheese, and you’ll have a pretty good idea what the rock under southern Florida looks like,” says Glenn Landers, a senior engineer at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. This means water moves around easily – it seeps into yards at high tide, bubbles up on golf courses, flows through underground caverns, corrodes building foundations from below. “Conventional sea walls and barriers are not effective here. Scientist: 'Miami, As We Know It Today, Is Doomed. It's Not A Question Of If. It's A Question Of When.' | ThinkProgress

Old 06-05-2014, 11:02 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Of course you don't care, but so called Conservatives are usually the first people to come crying to Washington to get a bailout when a tornado tears you a new *******, a wildfire turns you nice home into charcoal or the water, mud, snow or whatever keeps coming and coming and your property is gone. You want reality well this is it for example last week a wildfire near San Deigo nearly fryed the Marine Base at Camp Pendleton and it will go on and on. Seriously People like you are a danger to humanity.
I pay for my own home insurance and don't live on a hillside or by a river. Your assumptions are ridiculous. You think only conservatives want FEMA money? LOL. You folks are a lost cause.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
Lets assume everything the Greenies say about Global Warming is true and soon all our cities will be flooded as the Ice Caps melt due to rising CO2 levels. In that case, shouldn’t Environmentalists be backing these three proposals:

1) Why not build levees around our costal cities? Us folks inland will donate the dirt and broken concrete from our construction projects. The Government only has to pay to have railroads (the cheapest form of land transport) haul it to costal cities. And then you guys dump it out wherever you think best until your cities are protected by levees 300 feet high and a thousand feet wide. You can cover them with grass and trees and on the ocean side have a nice sandy beach and you can line the top with a bunch of windmills.

2) Why not plant a tree that will take in carbon dioxide in the corner of every other parking stall? Nobody parks within a foot of the corner of the parking stall anyway. In the winter when the parking lot is covered with snow you’ll still be able to see where the parking stalls are at. In the summer you’ll be able to park your car in the shade and instead of a blazing hot trek across an oven-hot parking lot you can enjoy a nice stroll in the shade watching squirrels scamper and listening to the birds singing in the trees and you wash your car every week anyway.

3) Why not plant vines in planters outside the window of every skyscraper? These will restore the green environment lost to the city and the vines will take in CO2 from all the cars on the street and so stop air pollution at it’s source.
The oceans only rise 0.13 inches per year, do you want to start building levees now?
Sea Level Rise -- National Geographic

And scientists are talking about putting machines that absorb CO2 on every corner (artificial trees.)
National Geographic Magazine - NGM.com

And remember 97% of all climate scientists say man made global warming is happening.
Climate Change: Consensus

But corporations like ExxonMobile pay groups to say global warming is not happening, because if we combate global warming large corporations will loose money.
Steve Coll: How Exxon Shaped the Climate Debate | Climate of Doubt | FRONTLINE | PBS

And Fox news, Rush radio, and the republican CEO politicians are connected to these large corporations, so they say global warming is not happening too.
Meet The Climate Denial Machine | Blog | Media Matters for America

Old 06-05-2014, 05:18 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
^ Of course, Exxon has been paying groups and other professional prostitutes for years to hammer their junk science contesting man-made climate change to the American people because Exxon, and other energy conglomerates, know all they need is a gullible or ideological vocal minority to slow any legislative progress to stop or slow climate change.

Exhibit 1...City Data threads and posts denying climate change.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 06-05-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies