Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:28 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Even more interesting: Figure 6, two pages down, shows that spending on housing assistance is not even 1/3 of the amount of federal money spent on tax breaks for homeowners, which was $144 billion at writing, of which 70% goes to high-income households.
Oh this is hilarious, home owners get a TAX BREAK, not a pass on taxes like the so called poor, but a break, " Lets see Mr. Jone's you have a nice house so you owe $4500.00 in taxes, Oh but wait we feel sorry for you so we will graciously only take $4300.00."

I also love the "high-income households" liberal double speak, So what is HIGH-income this week 2 million?, 2 hundred thousand?, 50 thousand?. It all depends on who there looking to loot this time round.

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Reuters) - The number of U.S. residents living in poverty edged up to 46.5 million last year, the latest sign that an economic recovery marked by a stock market boom has not trickled down to ordinary Americans.

U.S. poverty rises despite economic recovery | Reuters
Other reports. Not looking so good either.
Mortgage Payments Rise To 40% Of Consumer Incomes: A Five ...
Harvard Study Finds: The Rent Is Way Too High

Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
Here in Florida we have the section 8 waiting list, but most everyone that needs assistance lives in subsidized housing where rents are based on income. Income for one person is max $25K to live there and for two people is $29K combined. I guess the state subsidizes this? I know the complexes get some sort of break. We have a large service industry here and it works out well for them since they can get a nice place on the cheap. Doesn't bode well for those of us making more money, but I wouldn't want to live in those complexes anyway.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
About 25% of eligible households.

http://www.cbpp.org/files/2-24-09hous-sec2.pdf

I'm sick of hearing lies around here and in right wing media that all poor people get free rent, or that illegal immigrants come here and move right into government housing. A family that applies now, their kids will probably be independent before they reach the end of the waiting lists.

For the record, I am against our low-income housing system. A blanket rental assistance program would be helpful to more families, if there were to be housing assistance at all.
"I'm sick of hearing lies around here and in right wing media that all poor people get free rent,"

YOU made the claim, now back it up.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:23 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Here in Florida we have the section 8 waiting list, but most everyone that needs assistance lives in subsidized housing where rents are based on income. Income for one person is max $25K to live there and for two people is $29K combined. I guess the state subsidizes this? I know the complexes get some sort of break. We have a large service industry here and it works out well for them since they can get a nice place on the cheap. Doesn't bode well for those of us making more money, but I wouldn't want to live in those complexes anyway.
I think you are referring to LIHTC, which works with finance corps and HUD. It appears to vary. This appears to be part of redev. Seems to be based on median rent/income.

Low-Income Housing Tax Credit
quote:
LIHTC accounts for the majority - approximately 90 percent - of all affordable rental housing created in the United States today.[1] As the maximum rent that can be charged is based upon the Area Median Income ("AMI"), LIHTC housing remains unaffordable to many low-income (<30% AMI) renters.
As a result, almost all investors in LIHTC projects are corporations.

If one tracks back ownership of these properties one may be surprised who owns them. They can often maze through a corporate veil back to a holding company.

A Structural View of U.S. Bank Holding Companies by Dafna ...

Last edited by CDusr; 06-03-2014 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
yes, its always is interesting to me that *some* posters say everyone's house has appreciated in equity. They can forecast RE market in 50 states?

its yet another form of that peculiar American denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies