Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, good for you.

Maybe there's a burger flipper out there worth $15 or even $20 per hour. I suppose it's up to how well he makes his argument and how willing an employer is to pay him that.

I don't believe in mandating wages or randomly assigning salaries based on what others make.

Go out and make what you want.
But would you also agree that an employer has the right to only employ people who are worth that $15hr? No kid just starting out, no whining college chick sneaking texts to her boyfriend, etc. In other words, alot of the bozos walking around with their "living wage" signs...as an employer, I would not look twice at them. I would look more at the middle age person who generally has a better work ethic. I think alot of these people cheering for the wage hike are going to be the first ones I myself would replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 11:37 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
But would you also agree that an employer has the right to only employ people who are worth that $15hr? No kid just starting out, no whining college chick sneaking texts to her boyfriend, etc. In other words, alot of the bozos walking around with their "living wage" signs...as an employer, I would not look twice at them. I would look more at the middle age person who generally has a better work ethic. I think alot of these people cheering for the wage hike are going to be the first ones I myself would replace.
Yes. Employers should set their own pay. No mandates by Big Brother.

I too would go by work ethic if I owned a business. That's why if someone making $15 an hour as say...an administrative assistant...came in and wanted a raise cuz "burger flippers just got hiked to $15" I would fire them.

That tells me they were only working for the wage I was paying them...not what they earn by merit.

Also slap my own wrist for misjudging my hiring of that employee.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Because they're not worth much. Medical insurance billing doesn't make the world turn, re-heated frozen burgers does.
Are you for real? Who do you think is dealing with the ---- from the ACA??? A chimp can flip a burger!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Going to be interesting to see how this affects Seattle. We already have the highest min wage in the state of Washington and I don't think it's hurt us but it did cause low some wage employers to leave the state... which wasn't necessarily a bad thing imo.
How could less jobs, no matter what they pay, possibly be a bad thing?
Quote:
I don't think it's going to cause all the doom and gloom some are predicting but I think many of the low wage services and jobs will move outside the city limits to the north and south. East of Seattle is very prosperous and they might try to outdo Seattle's $15/hr.
If they are prosperous then they are probably smart businesspeople, in which case they are not going to try to outdo anybody in overpaying for labor.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,060 times
Quote:
Are you for real? Who do you think is dealing with the ---- from the ACA??? A chimp can flip a burger!
And yet there aren't that many chimps working the Mac shacks.

Why are you offended? Some jobs are worth more than others.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yes. Employers should set their own pay. No mandates by Big Brother.

I too would go by work ethic if I owned a business. That's why if someone making $15 an hour as say...an administrative assistant...came in and wanted a raise cuz "burger flippers just got hiked to $15" I would fire them.

That tells me they were only working for the wage I was paying them...not what they earn by merit.

Also slap my own wrist for misjudging my hiring of that employee.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
And yet there aren't that many chimps working the Mac shacks.

Why are you offended? Some jobs are worth more than others.
Because you are proving my point. Anyone who has an ounce of intelligence can work fast food. Not everyone can, or would, do medical insurance billing. Especially with everything that is happening due to ACA. Why do unskilled people expect $15hr. to do what a twelve year old child can do?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Because you are proving my point. Anyone who has an ounce of intelligence can work fast food. Not everyone can, or would, do medical insurance billing. Especially with everything that is happening due to ACA. Why do unskilled people expect $15hr. to do what a twelve year old child can do?
You just told me people below you were making less than $15hr. Obviously they're not any more intelligent than the burger flippers you hate.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:05 AM

[quote=bruhms;35069522]You just told me people below you were making less than $15hr. Obviously they're not any more intelligent than the burger flippers you hate.[/QUOTE

Obviously I must be tired because I'm not getting my point across. What I was trying to say is that people in this line of work, where they need accreditation, the knowledge of ICD-9 codes etc. are not expecting $15 an hour to start. They have a skill set already in place that far exceeds fast food workers. So my question is, why do people in fast food think they are worth $15hr? And I don't hate burger flippers. My grandson worked at McDonald's last year for $8.50 an hour and I was cool with that. But $15? No way.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 AM

[quote=toryturner;35069580]
Quote:
You just told me people below you were making less than $15hr. Obviously they're not any more intelligent than the burger flippers you hate.[/QUOTE

Obviously I must be tired because I'm not getting my point across. What I was trying to say is that people in this line of work, where they need accreditation, the knowledge of ICD-9 codes etc. are not expecting $15 an hour to start. They have a skill set already in place that far exceeds fast food workers. So my question is, why do people in fast food think they are worth $15hr? And I don't hate burger flippers. My grandson worked at McDonald's last year for $8.50 an hour and I was cool with that. But $15? No way.
If they make about the same as burger flippers, what makes you think they're more intelligent? I'd wager the burger flippers are more intelligent because the work is much easier, the pay is similar, and they don't have to waste a lot of time learning more things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies