Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Good point, but at least the evidence will now be available for everyone to see...
NCLB is over 10 years old and people are still in denial about that failure of a policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
No but Seattle will be seeing many more undocumented immigrants popping up looking for work than before.
Why would Seattle see an increase of undocumented immigrants? Are they getting an influx of Asians or something?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That franchise owner is not "rich".
That is who gets hit with increase wages.

You're making up numbers.

Go read up on SeaTac and labor costs due to the increase. It's more than $15 as that is not total labor cost.

You see the self checkouts...you have 6-8 self checkouts and ONE person watching over them.
In your case you're going to keep the 8 and have 8 watching over them ?
The franchise owners I have known in my life make pretty good money, they also typically own 20-30 fast food places. You aren't going to find a franchise owner owning only one or two locations.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The franchise owners I have known in my life make pretty good money, they also typically own 20-30 fast food places. You aren't going to find a franchise owner owning only one or two locations.

You apparently know some very rich franchise owners. The ones in my acquaintance are lucky to own two.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
No but Seattle will be seeing many more undocumented immigrants popping up looking for work than before.
I'm scanning this for entertainment since I live in the Seattle metro. Everyone has these dire predictions and honestly, who knows the result but they are phasing it in over time so they can adjust if needed. But the idea that this will attract a huge number of low income workers? Do you know the costs to rent in Seattle? Do you know the cost of real estate? Seattle is a relatively expensive city.

It's also currently the fastest growing city in the US.
Census: Seattle is the fastest-growing big city in the U.S. | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
True, the ones doing well have at least 3-4. Those with only one are struggling. The experiment that is Seatac is too small a a sample to tell what could happen in Seattle, but I do know that people working in hotels there getting $15 are coming out with less. Their employers have cut benefits such as free parking, food, and overtime.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I only know one franchise owner and he owns 2 McDonalds.
He's not hurting but I wouldn't consider him rich.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 PM

260 posts, read 195,283 times
Quote:
Why would Seattle see an increase of undocumented immigrants? Are they getting an influx of Asians or something?
Who else works FF or low-skilled hospitality/maintenance employments in urban centers but undocumented workers?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That franchise owner is not "rich".
That is who gets hit with increase wages.

You're making up numbers.

Go read up on SeaTac and labor costs due to the increase. It's more than $15 as that is not total labor cost.

You see the self checkouts...you have 6-8 self checkouts and ONE person watching over them.
In your case you're going to keep the 8 and have 8 watching over them ?
The fact that the franchise owner is not rich has a LOT more to do with the franchise. Franchises often look at their customers (the franchise owners) and say to themselves "your profit margin is my potential income".

And that automation is coming anyways.

Lets look at mcdonalds. Mcdonalds charges a 12.5% royalty fee. IE they get 12.5% of your income.

In general, McDonald’s franchisees pay about 20 percent in labor costs, according to Richard Adams, a consultant out of San Diego who works with McDonald’s operators.

So if we increased a mcdonalds employees pay from $7.25 to $10.10, that would be a 28.2% increase of that 20% number, IE assuming no other changes your % of income going to employees would change from 20% to about 25.6% If mcdonalds wasnt quite as greedy they could simply change their royalty % to 7% say and swallow the wage increases, while STILL being profitable. Weird huh?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The fact that the franchise owner is not rich has a LOT more to do with the franchise. Franchises often look at their customers (the franchise owners) and say to themselves "your profit margin is my potential income".

And that automation is coming anyways.

Lets look at mcdonalds. Mcdonalds charges a 12.5% royalty fee. IE they get 12.5% of your income.

In general, McDonald’s franchisees pay about 20 percent in labor costs, according to Richard Adams, a consultant out of San Diego who works with McDonald’s operators.

So if we increased a mcdonalds employees pay from $7.25 to $10.10, that would be a 28.2% increase of that 20% number, IE assuming no other changes your % of income going to employees would change from 20% to about 25.6% If mcdonalds wasnt quite as greedy they could simply change their royalty % to 7% say and swallow the wage increases, while STILL being profitable. Weird huh?
Oh but there were changes..McDonald's reported lower sales at their restaurants this last quarter.
And the "mother ship" does not change their royalty percentage when business slumps..guess who takes that hit..the franchise owner.
The franchise owners have already asked for a lowered royalty fee because the price of commodities are skyrocketing and were told no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies