Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Can a "right" ever be granted to a certain "protected class" of people without denying a right to those who are NOT "protected"?
Seems top me the answer is a resounding "NO"! What about the Civil Rights of the NON-protected person? Did they magically disappear?
Apparently, the answer is "YES"!
Yes, they did.

We have to be careful now....

But......the hate will grow.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Then the baker in question probably has much bigger problems than breaking anti-discrimination laws.

So is back talking to your parents and wearing poly-cotton blend shirts.
What kind of problems???

Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
It seems when the law doesn't favor a group like homosexuals, left-wingers make a big deal about how it's unjust and the laws need to be changed. When the law flips in their favor and Conservatives find themselves being treated unfairly, the laws are suddenly concrete and Cons need to shut up and just follow the law.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Default Whos's Civil Rights are being abuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What you just posted is the exact opposite of support for civil rights.
At the end you still forcing people to do business that offend the business owners rights. the Gay Community is so harden to get people to accept their life style as norm and trying to get pass the sin issue of religious people.

So who civil rights are being abused?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
I imagine if someone requests a cake for a gay wedding, the baker says I have to make it but I'm against it, then what... the customer actually goes through with the forced action knowing the baker is against it? And uses the cake and serves it to guests? I would question the ethics of the customer over that of the baker. First there is patronizing the establishment at all and helping that owner by giving him money, then there is the risk that the cake may not be made properly, and serving that cake to guests? What kind of person does that.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The outcome would have been the same if he turned away someone because they were black, Hispanic, or Asian. Look at it that way
That would have been bigotry. Being opposed to homosexual behavior is not bigotry. It's the right thing to do.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

But......the hate will grow.
Growing.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I imagine if someone requests a cake for a gay wedding, the baker says I have to make it but I'm against it, then what... the customer actually goes through with the forced action knowing the baker is against it? And uses the cake and serves it to guests? I would question the ethics of the customer over that of the baker. First there is patronizing the establishment at all and helping that owner by giving him money, then there is the risk that the cake may not be made properly, and serving that cake to guests? What kind of person does that.
Are you thinking business owners should put a large sign out front "no shirts, no shoes, no gays"?

Fine with me I suppose but while I'm not gay I'm not doing business there either.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:24 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Then the baker in question probably has much bigger problems than breaking anti-discrimination laws.

So is back talking to your parents and wearing poly-cotton blend shirts.

So your right to not being discriminated against because of your religion, sex or national origin takes away the rights of others?
I don't know what you're arguing here, unless you think that bigot needs to be added as a protected class.
Well, now that you mention it, YES I do believe that even bigots have "civil rights"!
So do Atheists. And racists. and sexists (regardless of gender).
so do homosexuals, regardless of gender.
So do Negroes, Hispanics, Amerinds, and Asians
So do WASPs (White Anglo Saxon Protestants, in case you have forgotten).
We ALL have rights. When YOU grant special rights to ANY group, YOU have removed rights from another group, and, IMO, YOU are just as bad as the bigots you seem to hate so fiercely!

I am reminded of an aphorism from my childhood: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS will never hurt me!" Most people seem to have forgotten that these days, and they expect everything and everybody to be sweetness and light all day every day. Sorry, life has never been like that, and never will be.

As for "sensitivity training", I agree, it IS a waste of time, and it IS an indoctrination class. "YOU WILL think our way, or you better become a hermit and live in a cave!"
No, thanks. I value my freedoms.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If I have to obey a law, it means I am not a free person and I have no liberties.
Why should I care if you're sad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies