Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,031,053 times

Advertisements

Some actor Jonah Hill had to apologize and nearly come to tears (which is just so stupid and pathetic) for calling someone a maggot with an F. He proceeded those words with something like suck my D or something similar.

So no outrage in verbally and in a vile way abusing someone except for the forbidden f a g word? That's just dumb and its nothing but faux outrage.

Why is society okay now with verbally assaulting and swearing at people but Gasp, don't you dare use these couple words! Screw that. You people want to be the word police, then cursing up a storm and four letter words used to attack people should be just as frowned upon. You c sucking, mother fng, son of a B, cnt etc etc is apparently just fine as long you don't include something like fg? The PC and lgbtxyz police can all get bent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 05:25 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,070,064 times
Because slurs are meant to harass a particular group of people, whereas general curse words are just dirty. Next question?

Although you could argue that the b word (and the d word) are sexist.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:25 AM

37,785 posts, read 40,962,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Some actor Jonah Hill had to apologize and nearly come to tears (which is just so stupid and pathetic) for calling someone a maggot with an F. He proceeded those words with something like suck my D or something similar.

So no outrage in verbally and in a vile way abusing someone except for the forbidden f a g word? That's just dumb and its nothing but faux outrage.

Why is society okay now with verbally assaulting and swearing at people but Gasp, don't you dare use these couple words! Screw that. You people want to be the word police, then cursing up a storm and four letter words used to attack people should be just as frowned upon. You c sucking, mother fng, son of a B, cnt etc etc is apparently just fine as long you don't include something like fg? The PC and lgbtxyz police can all get bent
I think you can say what you want and you can sue the bullies when they attempt to punish you for what you said...as long as another crime isnt involved.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,367,147 times
Free country, say what you want.

Be aware there may be public backlash, usually highly dependent on how well you're known.

Its not illegal to call someone a.....

Old 06-04-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Because slurs are meant to harass a particular group of people, whereas general curse words are just dirty. Next question?

Although you could argue that the b word (and the d word) are sexist.
And vulgarity is used to what? Treat someone nice and with respect? Palin was basically called the C word once, yet the same folks who go nuts over the FG word, had little to say about it. Dirty words are called vulgar and vile for a reason. Yet much of society has no issue with it. But don't you dare say this or that our you are evil and hateful and yada yada yada. It's just such baloney and phony

Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,070,064 times
Quote:
And vulgarity is used to what? Treat someone nice and with respect? Palin was basically called the C word once, yet the same folks who go nuts over the FG word, had little to say about it. Dirty words are called vulgar and vile for a reason. Yet much of society has no issue with it. But don't you dare say this or that our you are evil and hateful and yada yada yada. It's just such baloney and phony
The c word is dripping with misogyny and oppression of women, so I think that's a reasonable point.

But if you can't tell the difference between calling someone something vulgar in a non-specific way, and calling someone a racist, sexist, homophobic, or anti-certain religion slur, then I really can't do much else.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,477,804 times
Quote:

But words like f@ggot and n_____r are different than words like motherfvcker or a$$hole. The latter are just random terms of outrage, anger and frustration. The former are words designed to insult and degrade particular groups of people. The have unique power to enrage, humiliate and derail conversation.

There seems to be this big push now to rehabilitate words like f@ggot and n_____r, to make it socially acceptable to use them again. This is a bad idea. All that will do is drag our already low level of public debate even lower. It will make our public discourse stupider, angrier and less rational.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But words like f@ggot and n_____r are different than words like motherfvcker or a$$hole. The latter are just random terms of outrage, anger and frustration. The former are words designed to insult and degrade particular groups of people. The have unique power to enrage, humiliate and derail conversation.

There seems to be this big push now to rehabilitate words like f@ggot and n_____r, to make it socially acceptable to use them again. This is a bad idea. All that will do is make our already low level of public discourse even lower. It will just make our public discourse stupider, angrier and less rational.
Society is already there. Everywhere I go, almost, nothing but vulgar language. People can't get angry with someone without hurling the worst words out there. And maybe I'm wrong but it seems to be getting worse.

I get the difference between some words, but disagree that there that much more harmful than other vulgarity used towards someone. And I'm sick of the tearful apologies over a couple words yet there's no "shame" in saying every other vulgar words at someone?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,458,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The c word is dripping with misogyny and oppression of women, so I think that's a reasonable point.

But if you can't tell the difference between calling someone something vulgar in a non-specific way, and calling someone a racist, sexist, homophobic, or anti-certain religion slur, then I really can't do much else.
It is not "dripping with misogyny". It's just feminists deciding that they should be above insult. So any female-specific insult is now taboo. It's just like the recent "don't call women bossy" campaign. We live in a society where being a victim gets you attention and sympathy. It's just self-entitled outrage from people who need to get over themselves. You have a right to free speech, to trial by jury, to own a firearm, to freedom of assembly. You do not have a right to be a special snowflake that everyone around you must be careful not to offend.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,879,597 times
I believe that you can never trust somebody that never curses I never curse in front of women or kids, but infront of other men, if you never curse you're a phony as far as Im concerned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies