Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:04 AM

29,939 posts, read 25,072,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I know.

Its like, start two world wars, kill over 6 million J-ews, and have your country rebuilt by the same nations you were fighting.

And, then your the most popular country in the world.

I'm American. Its like fck me, right?
So which Nazi concentration camp did you personally liberate??? Even more, do you believe the nation had a choice whether to enter WW2?

Americans who were born in recent times have no right to take credit for the hard work and sacrifice of their forefathers. Do something noble, and maybe you will get the same level of respect. Carpet bombing sandboxes from a safe distance doesn't hold a candle to storming the beaches of Normandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 01:32 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,326,553 times
Das ist nicht gut!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:35 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,326,553 times
Quote:
I know.

Its like, start two world wars, kill over 6 million J-ews, and have your country rebuilt by the same nations you were fighting.

And? Are we supposed to judge a society by the sins of the past?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:11 AM

30,243 posts, read 18,810,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
BBC News - Russian image has deteriorated - BBC World Service poll

Now, isn't that a massive turnaround considering the position Germany was in 70 years ago?

The krauts have not sold thier nation (thanks Bill Clinton) out via NAFTA, China trade policies, unchecked borders, the trial lawyers association, insane corporate taxes (they reward net exporters), and an EPA gone wild.

Eliminate the above and the US would be on the right track.

I prefer Scotland, Ireland, and Denmark to visit, as the people are more friendly than the Germans.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:08 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,856,888 times
Quote:

Now, isn't that a massive turnaround considering the position Germany was in 70 years ago?
They won the World Cup in 2014. Of course they're popular!

Old 08-19-2018, 04:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 572,187 times
Lolll

Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 AM

19,814 posts, read 12,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Was there a "middle class" in America before 1950? What about before 1930?
Yes, people who were neither rich nor poor.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,814,580 times
Quote:

US seems to be at the level of China and India...

Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,814,580 times
Quote:
I know.

I am sorry you feel that way.

PS. WW-I was started by Austria-Hungary declaring war on Serbia.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 502,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
And? Are we supposed to judge a society by the sins of the past?

Yeah I get tired of the over-done WW2 obsession of some Americans, Germany is a country, or at least culture with like 2,000 years of history, given us a lot of the best music, engineering, medicine and other things the world is known and yet the only focus is on a decade of it's history in last century? With all the medicines and engineering marvels Germans have made they've probably saved billions of people, in fact didn't the green revolution start there among other things? And it's not like we Americans or Brits have clean hands with our own history of slavery, genocide of natives in Americas and Australia, all the brutality in colonies like India and the Irish, notably the kinds of things (esp. slavery) Germany did not participate in. And yet we seem to be much less forthright about it.

To make this clear, I had several family members as part of the group that went into Germany in 1944 as part of the force that pushed the Nazis out of western Europe and occupied western Germany, and they saw some tough fighting. Yet they never had a bad word to say about the Germans they interacted with once the peace set about. Germany was dealt lousy cards with it's geography and had itself been targeted for invasion in previous centuries, of course they were going to have to be strong and warlike to survive, and when it came to the causes of the WW2 like Versailles and WW1, the Allies had as much to do with that. And the British and French were the big colonizers in Africa and Asia at the time, not Germany. India had a lot of it's economy bled dry while as my Filipino relatives always tell me, the Philippines was colonized by the US after a scorched earth war in the early 20th century after the US had promised independence but colonized them instead.

Not trying to toss shade on the US here, like any other country have a lot of good and bad and for all it's flaws I still love the place, but all this moralizing against Germany or other countries is totally hypocrisy when we ignore the ugliness parts in our own history. And for that matter, a lot of the nastiest wars for the US and or Britain, in ex. Vietnam, Iraq, the disasters in Libya and Syria and still now in Afghanistan, is a whole lot more recent than WW2 is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies