Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 12:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 502,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I know.

Its like, start two world wars, kill over 6 million J-ews, and have your country rebuilt by the same nations you were fighting.

And, then your the most popular country in the world.

I'm American. Its like fck me, right?

Again this tunnel vision on a portion of the 20th century to the neglect of the rest of the country's history, Germany also is the country that started a lot of what we now enjoy as modern medicine and engineering with all the advances in quality of life that came about. So in grander sweep of history Germany has saved billions of people with the things they've done, and they did it without natural resources that most other countries have. Germany was the most philo Semitic country in Europe and one of the first to give Jews and other religious minorities opportunities, and as far as responsibility for starting World War I, there were a lots of guilty hands there, the British with their colonial interests and worries about a changing commercial landscape had a lot to do with it even Britain getting into WWI ultimately destroyed the British Empire.

And heck, Germans made a lot of what America is too, a lot of the key American inventions in tech and engineering came from migrating Germans. Where as on the other side, the USA and Britain also have their own ugly history of genocide against the native peoples, slavery, Vietnam, the bloody history in Ireland, the bloody war of conquest in the Philippines after we broke our word from promising them independence. I'm not saying this to put down America. we've done far more good than harm for the world and I'll always be a proud American even with our flaws. It's just throwing your tunnel vision right back at you, and showing this BS moralizing and virtue signaling about complicated things in history just doesn't work. And few things are more annoying than tunnel vision involving WW2, Godwin's law came about for good reason.

The fall in US reputation is just because, people look at more recent events far more than things in the distant past, and the US has had a rough run of things recently with Vietnam, Iraq, Libya, the financial crisis and our record on environmental issues, which affects a lot of countries directly. Not saying this makes the US a bad place, it just explains the shade being tossed at the US that seems to have disappointed you so much. People don't care about long ago history that can be cherry picked to make some propaganda argument, they care about things happening now, current policies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 05:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,171,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
BBC News - Russian image has deteriorated - BBC World Service poll
Now, isn't that a massive turnaround considering the position Germany was in 70 years ago?
Amazing, not just in terms of popularity - but also that Germany is taking rights/freedoms so seriously.

I guess that, unlike America, Germany was able to own up to its misdeeds, and try to do better.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,483,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetzenkari View Post
This is because of American patriotism which doesn't fit into a globalized word, and this president who says America first.
Screw the "globalized world". Those freeloaders who think America is theirs too can go F themselves.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:07 AM

34,388 posts, read 18,774,430 times
Yet they ALL take American financial AID, and defense $$$. All of them, including Germany. Who cares what others think, especially the Leftist BBC. Not too biased, are they?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 AM

2,695 posts, read 1,683,678 times
That was a study reported in 2014, so possibly done earlier than that.

It is almost 2020 now. Germany has had the migrant crisis and Merkel is less popular than at that time. Let us see how "liked" they are now, especially by its own citizens.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:29 AM

2,695 posts, read 1,683,678 times
Some of the people who whine here in 2018-2019 don't realize that this was done in the 2013-2014 time frame when the Messiah was our leader. So blaming it on the Orange Man would not help in this instance.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:39 AM

6,010 posts, read 2,947,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Amazing, not just in terms of popularity - but also that Germany is taking rights/freedoms so seriously.

I guess that, unlike America, Germany was able to own up to its misdeeds, and try to do better.
Germany did not own up to its misdeeds .Germany got the Shlt kicked out of it and was split up.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:57 AM

3,404 posts, read 2,766,580 times
Anyone who picks up the bar tab is going to be popular, until they don't pick up the bar tab. Wake up people. We've been dealing out "aid" and paying for everyone else shorting the UN for decades. On top of that, many of these European countries are now dealing with violent migrants and there's places in UK, Paris, and Germany where you simply don't go if you aren't Muslim.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:01 AM

6,010 posts, read 2,947,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yet they ALL take American financial AID, and defense $$$. All of them, including Germany. Who cares what others think, especially the Leftist BBC. Not too biased, are they?
its a Facebook world...Oh Oh like me.Like me I want to be popular. Sarcasm
How about.. "Dont fuvk with me."

Old 10-07-2019, 10:04 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,039,314 times
WHy do liberals care about "global popularity polls" and all the "global community" crap?

I couldn't careless if Mogadishu polled the highest on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies