Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 01:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
30K for the household.. not per person.

50K is decent for the south or midwest.
The issue is the area that has low COL don't exactly have good jobs or don't have booming industries. It's a balancing act. Many of the boom markets are in higher COL areas and not the lower COL areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
You are full of crap, show me some hard evidence to your claim that nobody ever quits a H1B job. In reality an absolute claim like this is worthless without verifiable evidence to back it up.

Lol, I just googled "HB1 quit job" and THOUSANDS of results came up from people who are H1B and have quit/were quitting their job. But yeah, I can just take your word for it right?

Your statement has nothing to do with reality. It is an absolute blanket statement, which are almost never true to begin with.

(Oh and nice straw-man with the lottery... let me guess, that is the same scenario because people can choose to win the lottery, just like they choose to quit a job... right? )
16,000 results for that search. lets see...take the first 5.

And I typed the above before looking at what they are.
1. Oh yeah this one REALLY supports your argument. LOL

Go read it. No really. READ it. Basically ti says "don't do this or you will be SOL"

2. bwahahah. similar, but someone asking advice and getting it.
I currently hold an H1B visa and consider quitting my job. Can I stay in the US? - Avvo.com

3.similar except its about someone going from h1-b to student
Quitting Job, H1B Status Query

OK there are more links under 3 as its a discussion forum, but im going to the next new link not the sub links. I think thats reasonable.
4. Advice that yes you immediately lose your H1-b unless you have a new employer file with you before you quit.
Do I immediately lose my H1B status if I quit my job? ? 7 Legal Answers as of January 31, 2013 - LawQA.com

Work visa and moving from the US back to your home country | tomaz.me
More of the same

Basically you are amazingly ignorant about this topic. Maybe you should go read some of those "thousands of links"

Old 06-13-2014, 01:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
16,000 results for that search. lets see...take the first 5.

And I typed the above before looking at what they are.
1. Oh yeah this one REALLY supports your argument. LOL

Go read it. No really. READ it. Basically ti says "don't do this or you will be SOL"

2. bwahahah. similar, but someone asking advice and getting it.
I currently hold an H1B visa and consider quitting my job. Can I stay in the US? - Avvo.com

3.similar except its about someone going from h1-b to student
Quitting Job, H1B Status Query

OK there are more links under 3 as its a discussion forum, but im going to the next new link not the sub links. I think thats reasonable.
4. Advice that yes you immediately lose your H1-b unless you have a new employer file with you before you quit.
Do I immediately lose my H1B status if I quit my job? ? 7 Legal Answers as of January 31, 2013 - LawQA.com

Work visa and moving from the US back to your home country | tomaz.me
More of the same

Basically you are amazingly ignorant about this topic. Maybe you should go read some of those "thousands of links"
Maybe you should read more than 5 that you cherry-picked. It doesn't matter if they say it is a bad idea, your claim is THAT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN. You have provided no evidence to that claim, and all the evidence flies against your claim.

Try again.

If just one single person quits an h1b job, your statement is false.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
So you DO hate the free market? You just want the optimal situation for you, you don't care if violent government intervention in the market is needed to produce that situation. If immigration was easy, and these immigrants could obtain legal status as easy as your fore-fathers did, they could not be exploited by unscrupulous business owners. (Which does happen, leading to them being paid less than their labor is worth, but they can't complain or file a lawsuit, they are illegal.) This case is the exception though, most immigrant low-skilled workers work at minimum wage or above.

I have never heard a pro-free-market person argue against competition. Competition always lowers prices and creates a better product, that also applies to labor. If businesses can hire good labor at cheap prices, they can compete in the market place and offer good products at a low price.

Why wouldn't we limit competition for mid-high paying jobs to preserve/increase the pay? Why only low-skilled jobs? Oh yeah, because that is price fixing, and it doesn't work.
Again, you are posting my point. And my fore-fathers came here legally.

Competition DOES lower prices and wages too. But to your other point I don't know if I believe that companies would lower prices.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Again, you are posting my point. And my fore-fathers came here legally.
I know. Your fore-fathers came here "legally" (I am sure that native Americans thought their brutal invasion was illegal, but who cares what those savages think.), and the process to become a citizen was to give your name and get a rubber stamp.

It didn't take months to years and cost thousands of dollars. Why do your fore-fathers get to come here with no effort, yet you get to make it impossible (Or VERY difficult) for others?

This is what I am saying, if immigrants today were held to the same standards at Ellis Island, they would be legal, and have the legal rights to recourse if somebody tries to exploit them. Under the current system, non-citizen immigrants have to take what they can get. They don't get the negotiating power that American workers have.

Quote:
Competition DOES lower prices and wages too. But to your other point I don't know if I believe that companies would lower prices.
They would... or they would go out of business. The market punishes people who charge to much via competition. They will lose all their customers to the competitor that realizes they can lower prices and still make a profit.

Again, this requires a free market place, not the government/corporations hybrid we have today.

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 06-13-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 02:19 PM

Yea, let just throw the law out the window.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yea, let just throw the law out the window.
Nice diversionary response.

Care to explain what "law" we are throwing out the window, or better yet, actually respond to the points in my post?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Nice diversionary response.

Care to explain what "law" we are throwing out the window, or better yet, actually respond to the points in my post?
nah, educate me, you know it all.<roll eyes>

Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
nah, you know it all. <roll eyes>
Translation: "No, I will not have a logical, reasonable debate. I will just make vague sarcastic comments as if it strengthens my position at all." OR "I am unequipped with information to actually debunk your statements in honest debate."

Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Translation: "No, I will not have a logical, reasonable debate. I will just make vague sarcastic comments as if it strengthens my position at all." OR "I am unequipped with information to actually debunk your statements in honest debate."
why bother, I forgot my place. They just want me to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies