Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM

741 posts, read 764,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
He lost POW status when he decided to desert his post. He should have been hunted and no rescued. WTF is wrong with people? He made a decision, he knew the consequences time to man up.
Seems to me you've appointed yourself investigator, judge and jury ... without even knowing the facts of the matter. Certainly, that's not the standard our forefathers envisioned. Judgment by rumor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 01:29 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Seems to me you've appointed yourself investigator, judge and jury ... without even knowing the facts of the matter. Certainly, that's not the standard our forefathers envisioned. Judgment by rumor.
Bla, bla, bla....

Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Could he? Or would it have become the 3-ring circus it now is, only w/out Bergdahl's return?

If Congress, directly or through a proxy, wants to take this to the Supreme Court, I believe they can - and should. This bears directly on a President's power as CinC in a non-formally declared war. After a decade of expanding presidential power at the behest of many conservatives (we're looking at you, Cheney), I would be surprised if the Supremes backpedaled now.
He only had to notify Congress. He did not have to get their approval.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Based on what I'm hearing the legal experts say about the President's actions in the release/trade ... he operated within the law

No you aren't.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't think we have any MIA's in Afghanistan, other than this Bergdahl who was a prisoner of war.

Without a trial, we will never know whether those 5 thugs would not have been convicted.
Had it been up to me, each of those 5 guys would have had a trial long ago. Indefinite detention at Guantanamo was wrong from the start, and has not improved with time.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Based on what his comrades and the Army is telling us he's guilty. It's pretty simple actually. Now, the Liar and Thief will let him off but hat is only to cover himself and still doesn't change the fact he's guilty. It just confirms Obummer has no regard for our laws. If military leaders tell me he deserted I believe them.

It's clear he walked away from his post. That is desertion period.

I have never understood the lacks of accountability from liberals. Maybe it makes it easier for them to live life on hand outs from others? You know, it's not my fault so I deserve something??

Old 06-05-2014, 02:00 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Had it been up to me, each of those 5 guys would have had a trial long ago. Indefinite detention at Guantanamo was wrong from the start, and has not improved with time.
indefeinite detention has ALWAYS been the way it works. They are held until hostilities end, which they haven't because there is no peace agreement signed by both sides.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:07 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
indefeinite detention has ALWAYS been the way it works. They are held until hostilities end, which they haven't because there is no peace agreement signed by both sides.
Then what? There are 70-80 cleared for release but no Country will accept them.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
In a regular POW situation, that is indeed how it works. But these detainees were never officially designated as POWs, in part because many of them were not identifiable as the regular military of a recognized government. On the other hand, their detention was never governed under criminal statutes. Basically, we asserted the right to hold them because we wanted to and we could.

I always thought that al Qaeda should have been treated as common criminals, tracked down through Interpol and like agencies, and then publicly tried for their crimes, but that boat sailed years ago.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:16 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So they decided to ignore the laws of the US because the Taliban said so ?
Well that certainly portrays the US as a "strong nation" in the eyes of the world now.

Since when do we defer to the wishes of terrorists now ?

The prior story was that he was on the verge of death and they had to act quickly.
The state department lady said they were going to kill him while Obama keeps lying about his health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies